Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2002, 02:46 AM

Default Re: I will pay someone to get my system working properly.

I guess I should have called this thread "I will pay somebody to convince my lazy butt to change the 1 gig of RAM back to the original 512 MB of factory RAM so that all this needless hassle could be avoided.."

While I find it strange that everything but Pro Tools behaved properly, I'm fairly confident that the two 512 MB sticks(or one of them, I don't have time to troubleshoot that right now) is/are faulty.

Amazing how that can cause such a problem!!

I've been working for several hours now, slowly losing the fear of crashing more and more.

Imagine moving the edit window with peace of mind.
Or hey, even saving your session!

I guess Titaniums are finicky with RAM. That's what my dealer told me anyway..

My apologies (pending continued success) to Digidesign, Glyph, Magma, and Apple.

I can hardly wait to start working with the Mbox and actually accomplishing something..

And I can hardly wait to see the new 002, or a price reduction on a Control 24 or something.

The Titanium 800 is VERY nice, and so is the Glyph drive. Rock solid they are.

It's really liberating to unplug your Mix Cubed rig, and take your computer and an Mbox to a coffee shop, or library, or wherever. Man I love it! I just bought a new backpack that can hold Tibook, Mbox, and Glyph drive. Wicked.

God bless,

Craig Learmont
Old 07-20-2002, 08:08 AM

can you run one stick at time to trouble shoot? or do you need all that ram to run

Old 07-20-2002, 09:48 AM

I am waiting for my HD3 upgrade and need to make a decision on which computer to buy. I am presently leaning toward a Powermac 933 but I have toyed with using a Titanium G4 Powerbook with an expansion chassis.

What is a high end configuration for this? It seems you can put the SCSI card in the Expansion Chassis with the HD cards but only a 4 slot chassis is qualified. I want to be able to go with 4 HD cards + SCSI. Is there another option?
Old 07-20-2002, 05:06 PM

Hi there. Yes, I could just easily stick in each RAM stick, but I don't have time right now. Too many projects on the go.

That was a really valuable lesson. Don't buy used RAM!!!!!!! (Unless you've previously tested before buying..)

The other gentleman interested in the HD3 setup with the Titanium..

I know there are others on this forum who are doing just that. I am just in the process of testing my Mix Cubed rig with the chassis, and from what I've seen so far, it seems to work great. I think there was something about having to put a dummy PCI card with the HD3 cards to adjust the PCI voltage??

Do a search for Magma or Titanium, and you should find something. Or check for my member number posts, and you'll find feedback from other users documenting their success rates.

Does everyone else have their Titanium fan screaming loud when they're doing PT with the chassis?? I thought my crashing was heat related until someone told me that that was not the case, and now I can vouch for that.

If I touch the back of the keyboard on the Tibook while PT has been running for a while, I will burn my fingers in seconds. Yikes!

Anyway, BEWARE OF BAD RAM!!!

I'm off to test the Mbox this week, so I'll keep you posted on how that works.

(Probably in the Mbox forum)

Thanks again everybody!

Craig Learmont
Old 07-20-2002, 09:53 PM

Craig,

I once had problems that traced to a bad ram card. I found it by using this neat trick:
install one ram card only. Launch the Graphing Calculator. Choose "demo" and run it overnight; not just for a couple of hours but 8 hours or so. If the card is bad it will crash. If it's still going when you wake up, install the next card and run it the next night. You should be able to find the faulty ram this way and you can do it while you sleep!

good luck
Randy
Old 07-22-2002, 12:55 AM

Hey, that's a good idea!! I knew the graphing calculator was good for something!

I'll try that.

PS, the Titanium with the Mbox is very cool now that it's working regularly..