Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2011, 02:15 PM

Default Re: HDX card = 3 to 7 x Accel card? Avid needs to explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt-o- View Post
But what's about the efficiency of the recoding? I remember screenshots of PT10 with AAX Revibe using 54% of a DSP, with a 2nd assigned using 54% of another DSP. Will PT use the remaining 46% for other plug-ins? The TDM Revibe used straight 50%, making it possible to use 2 per chip. I think, there are still a lot of questions and details to verify, before making any decision... but anyway, no need to hurry...
I popped over here on request, but it is difficult to answer this question. These are pretty complicated chips and for some things they are simply good and others they are exceptionally good. Any numbers you would see in a public screenshot at this point are not final as there is always room for optimization. I will tell you that you can get a plug-in to run on the chip pretty simply, but it takes extra effort to really make the code scream. We've learned lots of lessons working with these chips over the years and we are sharing all of that info with our third party plug-in partners.

Dave
Old 11-21-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Gates View Post
I think a lot of (particularly smaller) developers won't even have the HDX hardware yet so yes, nobody knows how that'll work out till they get going with the cards. We were looking for authoritative info from Avid about dsp usage on their plugins, not idle speculation. And Max did give us some useful info to get the ball rolling.

Oh, and Emcha, yup they are TI C6000 series dsps not Analog Devices Tiger Sharcs.

Pete
So it's a typo on the avid forum then, good to know. I think the TI chips are more powerful than the T1 of tigersharcs no?

Wave-T.com
Old 11-22-2011, 02:12 AM

Dave would be the person to answer that but I'm sure he's pretty busy! I don't know the TI chips well, I remember years ago they had a reputation of being tricky b*ggers to program, though that was in assembler and it's mostly C/C++ now. I'm not sure they are more powerful than the Tiger Sharcs (which are very popular for audio use) though I'm sure the Avid boys chose them for good reason. At least, unlike the old Motorola/Freescale chips they are a current and developing product line so in a couple of years there could be an HDX-Accel! And just wait for the complaints when that happens.

Pete
Old 11-22-2011, 06:57 AM

If Andy from Cytomic ("The Glue" compressor) is any indication, the dev kits are in the hands of everyone who wants one. He's in the process of optimizing the plugin for the DSP chips. His initial compile of The Glue took up an entire chip iirc. He said he'll probably get it down to two instances per chip, which gives you excellent tracking compressors I guess.

Great thing about HDX seems to be its FPGA that handles all the DSP mixing, and there's apparently no voice stealing.... I hope that's true.

Looking forward to catching definitive information on this from Avid, at the least for their plugins, maybe at the time the cards are available, Max ? :)
Old 11-22-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
If Andy from Cytomic ("The Glue" compressor) is any indication, the dev kits are in the hands of everyone who wants one. He's in the process of optimizing the plugin for the DSP chips. His initial compile of The Glue took up an entire chip I iirc. He said he'll probably get it down to two instances per chip, which gives you excellent tracking compressors I guess.

Great thing about HDX seems to be its FPGA that handles all the DSP mixing, and there's apparently no voice stealing.... I hope that's true.

Looking forward to catching definitive information on this from Avid, at the least for their plugins, maybe at the time the cards are available, Max ? :)
Some say there's still voice stealing, but they are basing themselves on a picture that is blurry. I haven't yet to find a post from one of the beta tester that said there was voice stealing. I guess we'll have to see when the cards finally ships out, and then probably an update or two to finalize the release.

Wave-T.com
Old 11-22-2011, 08:51 AM

I'm hoping that native-plugin-only-using tracks don't consume more than one voice. With delay compensation and the supendous power of machines available, I'm counting on native plugins being an excellent companion alongside an HDX card. Tracking and mixing. Best of both worlds.

I'm looking forward trying v10 out, because one of the shows I work for is having its mixing room move up to v10 in the near future, though they'll be sticking with HD Native. Still, it's good to know the options available, even if it's a $10000 option :) .
Old 11-22-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
I'm hoping that native-plugin-only-using tracks don't consume more than one voice. With delay compensation and the supendous power of machines available, I'm counting on native plugins being an excellent companion alongside an HDX card. Tracking and mixing. Best of both worlds.

I'm looking forward trying v10 out, because one of the shows I work for is having its mixing room move up to v10 in the near future, though they'll be sticking with HD Native. Still, it's good to know the options available, even if it's a $10000 option :) .
Yeah I've been using v10 everyday, it's sweet and stable and waiting on my hdx cards.

Wave-T.com