Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2011, 04:43 PM

Default SSL Deltalink MADI HD + Aurora

Hi All,

I've got a session tomorrow- I've taken our HD/Native system to a studio that I was told only uses MADI to connect to the desk- so I had to hire in a MADI interface- I got an SSL Deltalink, which shows up as a pair of 192s in the hardware set up. It is saying that its receiving wordclock (red light stopped flashing on the interface) even though I can't select external wordclock in hardware set up- there seem to be some discrepancies in the manual- or I'm just not reading it right. I got audio into and out of it, but should I be concerned that I can't select external clock in the hardware set up page of PT?

Also, once I got set up, the house engineer then told me he also had 32 channels of AES available (DOH- why didn't he mention that before!) so I went and got our Aurora- tried to add it into the system on the 2nd port of the HD Native card- it recognised it but lost the MADI interface. Scratched my head and tried a few different things- eventually switched the ports so the Aurora is on the port 1, and the MADi on 2, booted up, both devices recognised in the hardware set up (ie 4 x 192 show up) No audio passing through until I tried another computer reboot, but eventually it all seems to be working, and records and plays back audio. Lets just say I have my fingers crossed and I am avoiding input 13 for now.

I have master wordclock connected to both the Aurora and the MADI. the Aurora accepts ext wordclock- but as originally, according to the hardware setup page in PT, the SSL MADI will not and I have to set it to internal (although its front panel light on the interface says it is getting wordclock sync)

Anyone got any experience of using this MADI interface with HD native? Am I using the right approach for the wordclock (both running from the master clock)- or should I be daisy chaining from the wordclock output of the Aurora into the wordclock input of the SSL? Should I just stop worrying about it if I'm getting audio in and out?

many thanks

D

PTHD9.0.5, OS X.6.8, 8 core early '11 macpro, 96k/24bit session
Old 12-03-2011, 05:35 PM

Default Re: SSL Deltalink MADI HD + Aurora

the SSL is a bit temperamental but it works well (you should be able to get 64 channels of audio with it, or 56 depending on there desk)
I feed ours from the WC out of the Sync IO but sometimes it would get twitchy.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig