Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2001, 09:55 AM

Default Question about \"Save session as\"

After routing all my inputs and recording a song, I use "save as" to retitle the session because I want to record a new song using the same routing.

When I use the save session copy in command without copying the audio files, how do I get the new songs session's audio files to appear in their own folder?
Old 06-08-2001, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Question about \"Save session as\"

Hey Burton, if you are just using the "save as" just to keep your set-up configuration you might create a session template set up as a "stationary" file...look at this quicktime tip "creating session templates": http://www.digidesign.com/demos/quicktips/
Old 06-08-2001, 02:16 PM

Damn... I'm online with a PC (not my Mac). No QuickTime available. Is this info online in text form?
Old 06-08-2001, 03:44 PM

Not sure...but it is in the manual or your protools reference guide accessed thru the help menu: But here's what it says:
Creating Macintosh Templates: You can create a session template on the Macintosh by saving a session file as a Stationery pad document. Once a session is saved as stationery, it acts as a template that you can open and then resave as a normal session. To create a custom session template: 1 Create a session and arrange the Pro Tools as desired. You can also define the parameters within these windows, such as signal routings, insert and send configurations, track views, Ruler settings, and Preference settings. 2 Choose File > Save Session. 3 Name the session and click Save. 4 Close the session. 5 Locate the session file that you just saved. 6 Click once on the file to select it. 7 Choose File > Get Info. A file information win-dow appears. 8 Click the Stationery Pad check box to save the file as a template, then close the information window. To use this template, double-click it or open it with the Open Session command if you are already running Pro Tools. You can create several custom templates for studio setups that you frequently use. When you open a session saved as a Stationery pad, Pro Tools gives you the option of editing the template or starting a new session using the template settings. If you choose New Session, Pro Tools will create a new folder containing a copy of your session template and Audio and Fades folders.
hope this helps, it is a cool feature!
Old 06-08-2001, 10:29 PM

Burton,

I think using Session Save as to use the same settings to perform a new song may be dangerous and certainly sets you up for some confusing file management.

You have all those old audio tracks from your first song to contend with when you want to sort out your final sounds.

I prefer to make a copy of the entire set of files to a new location, eliminate the audio files I don't need and work from new but that's just the way I work.

I use session save as to work on a drum, vocal or guitar submix which I then bounce back into the main mix. That way I am always working with the audio files for the same song.

If someone has a better work process, I would like to hear about it. Using Session Save As to create multiple songs on top of the same set of audio files causes me potential problems I don't want to deal with.

Old 06-09-2001, 08:11 AM

Thanks, and yes, I'm listening. After using "save as" once, I'm aware of the confusion that this can cause. I will begin using the session template method described above.

One more question... once two sessions are placing audio regions in the same audio file, is there any way to conveniently separate the two sessions?
Old 06-09-2001, 10:06 AM

Hey Burton,

Do you really mean recording in the same audio files or placing audio files from both sessions in the same audio file directory? If you are recording new tracks in standard record mode (not QuickPunch or Destructive Mode), ProTools will create additional audio files in your audio directory for that session.

I don't know of a convenient way to separate them without going through them individually. Of course if you recorded all of one session first, those files would have the lower numbered file names (e.g. Guitar_01, Guitar_02, etc).

The safest way I have found is to copy the entire session from the file menu and include the audio files and the fade files. Then, you just move all the files to a new location on your disk where you can sort through them if you want. Should you mistakenly delete a wrong file you can go back to the original audio directory to get the file back.

Good luck!