Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2024, 07:27 AM

Default MIDI Studio Setup

HI, I dont see much online about MSS. I'm having random trouble with my MIDI settings. One day ok, next day a channels not receiving.
I read up about MSS and look in MIDI Studio Setup. Is my keyboard supposed to be listed? Its blank. My keyboard (Komplete A series 49) is showing in the midi setup page and green.

The manual says "all currently defined instruments are displayed in the Instrument Name list".

I don't see any.

(Edit: As an aside note, my plug instruments all work very haphazardly. All channels appear same, Midi thru is on. One day I may have a VI on screen work but not working on the midi keyboard. Or, its registering chords names, but not showing the meter move.. The channel next to it is set up identically and it works ok. Next time I turn on PT it may function, or perhaps switching a plug in from a functioning channel to a non functioning suddenly it connects. I have the most basic I/O and yet some channels do not want to signal. And maybe tomorrow it will. Is there some arcane setting somewhere I am overlooking?

I take Xpand and test that it works on one channel. I plug it into another channel and it wont work. I take a drum instrument and put it on the channel that doesn't work, and it works, so I move it over to the channel Xpand was on and the drums now dont work. I plug the DB33 into one channel and all is fine, I place it on another and only the VI works. Where in the plugins are there more settings that may cause them to be partial to certain tracks?)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dell Precision 7510 i7 2.6Ghz Quad core, 500GB SSD, 1TB and 500GB External SSD, 32GB Ram, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, SSL2 Interface, Pro Tools Artist, Sibelius Artist.

Last edited by BWV846; 02-12-2024 at 02:45 AM.
Old 02-10-2024, 01:28 PM

Default Re: MIDI Studio Setup

Tough to give a perfect answer with almost zero information on the system Speaking from the Windows perspective, you need to tell Pro Tools where to "look for" incoming midi data. Open(inside Pro Tools) Setup>Midi>Midi Studio. Assuming there are no "instruments" showing, create a new one and name it what you like(I would probably name it Kontact 49). Brand and model do not matter. The next bit is the crucial setting and that is the Incoming Midi Path. Open that dropdown list and look for something like "Kontact 49 USB[Emulated]". That tells PT where midi data will come in. The next bit is the Midi Channels and for now, I would leave all 16 in blue on the Input path(Output path is not important as you are not sending midi data back to the keyboard). If you are on a Mac, let us know so a Mac user can offer similar settings.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-11-2024, 05:03 PM

Yes, MIDI studio should show all your devices successfully recognized by the computer so a DAW can use them. If it’s blank, I’m not even sure how you could use MIDI with your computer. I’ve personally not had luck in the past manually adding an instrument and telling it that has 16 channels and naming it. If a dialog comes up when plugging in a MIDI device, the device is recognized by the computer and you should be good to go. You may need to install drivers for certain MIDI controllers also.
32 GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Ventura 13.6.4
Old 02-11-2024, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV846 View Post
All channels appear same, Midi thru is on.
In Pro Tools Preferences > MIDI > Default Thru Instrument:
Select “Follows First Selected MIDI Track

In Pro Tools Setup > MIDI > MIDI Input Devices > MIDI Input Enable – check items such as "Komplete A series 49 USB[Emulated]"

In Pro Tools Setup > Peripherals > MIDI Controllers
Under “Type” click on the drop-down arrow and select Komplete Kontrol and select appropriate under “Receive From” and “Send To” – something like "Komplete A series 49 USB[Emulated]"

Save Session, restart computer, launch PT, open Session ... then ‘record-arm Track’

In Pro Tools 2023.12, I no longer had to use MIDI Studio Setup at all!
Most interested to know if any others using PT 2023.12 see this, too!

If O.P. (BWV846) is using an earlier version of Pro Tools, please follow the good MIDI Studio Setup advice from albee1952 (Dave) in Post #2
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * Studio One Pro 6.6 * Harrison Mixbus 10 Pro * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 & Air 32 MINI * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock * 3 TB Samsung SSDs * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop & 24” BENQ LED GL2450-B & Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor
Old 02-12-2024, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar_battles View Post
If it’s blank, I’m not even sure how you could use MIDI with your computer. I’ve personally not had luck in the past manually adding an instrument and telling it that has 16 channels and naming it.
The Midi input devices has always connected no problems; Midi Studio Setup was blank. It doesn't have Komplete Keyboards listed as manufacturer, I'm thinking its only a naming platform. Its odd there is also no save or confirm button of sorts, just enter details and close.

The label of the keyboard added only seems to appear in Midi tracks and not Instrument tracks. The routing of the keyboard appeared there and connects.

------------------------------------------
Dell Precision 7510 i7 2.6Ghz Quad core, 500GB SSD, 32GB Ram, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, SSL2 Interface, Pro Tools Artist 2023.3, Sibelius Artist.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:53 PM

Strange behavior. I might try resetting all MIDI devices within the app (not sure how but I imagine there's a way) and trying to get the computer to recognize them pre-Pro Tools by plugging them in and "allowing" them to connect to the computer.
32 GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Ventura 13.6.4
Old 02-14-2024, 07:26 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar_battles View Post
Strange behavior. I might try resetting all MIDI devices within the app (not sure how but I imagine there's a way) and trying to get the computer to recognize them pre-Pro Tools by plugging them in and "allowing" them to connect to the computer.
Let me know if this works. If not, we can create a case for it for our technical support team look at. Thanks!
Old 02-14-2024, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Tough to give a perfect answer with almost zero information on the system Speaking from the Windows perspective, you need to tell Pro Tools where to "look for" incoming midi data. Open(inside Pro Tools) Setup>Midi>Midi Studio. Assuming there are no "instruments" showing, create a new one and name it what you like(I would probably name it Kontact 49). Brand and model do not matter. The next bit is the crucial setting and that is the Incoming Midi Path. Open that dropdown list and look for something like "Kontact 49 USB[Emulated]". That tells PT where midi data will come in. The next bit is the Midi Channels and for now, I would leave all 16 in blue on the Input path(Output path is not important as you are not sending midi data back to the keyboard). If you are on a Mac, let us know so a Mac user can offer similar settings.
Can anyone let me know how to connect a Korg-250 keyboard? I''ve been using the Korg SP-250 as a MIDI keyboard for many years as a weighted keyboard. I like the feel of the keys and it's worked well for a long time.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz
Memory: 32GB
Internal Hard Drives:
500GB= Programs
1TBGB= Audio
1tbGB= Samples/Back Up
External Hard Drives: Verbatim 1TB USB Drive
RME Fireface UFX Interface/Preamps
Pro Tools 2023
Focal CMS 65 Monitors
Avantones
Old 02-14-2024, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyc View Post
Can anyone let me know how to connect a Korg-250 keyboard? I''ve been using the Korg SP-250 as a MIDI keyboard for many years as a weighted keyboard. I like the feel of the keys and it's worked well for a long time.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Not sure what this has to do with this particular thread, are you having periodic loss of MIDI signals and other weird problems so well described by the OP?

If you have been using the SP-250 as a MIDI keyboard for years then what are you after? You have been using it without Pro Tools and now want to? What exactly are you doing and what is not working as expected?

Are you completely new to MIDI in Pro Tools? DUC is not the place where you can expect to get detailed tutorials on how to do stuff. If all this si new you should make much faster progress finding a recentish tutorial on YouTube or Groove3 or similar about working with MIDI keyboards and VIs in Pro Tools. If you still need help after that explain what you are following and exactly what is not working.

I'm assuming you want to work with a VI in Pro Tools: Common beginner (and not so beginner) problems with MIDI and VIs in Pro Tools are: Not having the instrument track in record mode, not having MIDI Thu selected. Not having the correct or all, MIDI channels selected, not having a VI plugin/insert instantiated on an instrument track. And there is a bug where Pro Tools will lose the MIDI to VI routing, so always show the instrument pane thingy in the mix or edit windows and check things shown in that are correct (that is also where you check there are MIDI events happening when you press a key).

If you need more help here create a new thread, you can reply to this post in that thread if needed and we can delete the posts from here.. which are not likely to help the other user who has a problem. Please don't posts on other threads unless the problem is directly related. The small "New Thread" button is near the top of each forum section, above the posts, badly hidden.
Old 02-16-2024, 02:12 PM

Thanks to all who have helped so far. Hopefully someone will find that magic solution for me!

Thanks
--Clint
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz
Memory: 32GB
Internal Hard Drives:
500GB= Programs
1TBGB= Audio
1tbGB= Samples/Back Up
External Hard Drives: Verbatim 1TB USB Drive
RME Fireface UFX Interface/Preamps
Pro Tools 2023
Focal CMS 65 Monitors