Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2013, 11:12 PM

Default VEP pro 5 set up question

I'm trying to set up a template with VEP pro 5, which includes 5 Kontakts, FM8, Omnisphere and Trillian. I en up with 8 instances of VEP...is there a way to have all the desired plugs within one instance ??? Thanks
Old 08-19-2013, 05:01 AM

Default Re: VEP pro 5 set up question

You actually add the instances within VEP. Take a look at the videos that Vienna puts out.

Sent from my PT beating heart
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 08-19-2013, 05:52 AM

Yes, you can have mutiple VI plugins within one instance. You can also do this, and still have discrete audio outputs for each instrument if you want. Make sure you set the number of audio outputs in VEP preferences to whatever you need.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 08-19-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
Yes, you can have mutiple VI plugins within one instance. You can also do this, and still have discrete audio outputs for each instrument if you want. Make sure you set the number of audio outputs in VEP preferences to whatever you need.
In the manual it states to use instruments tracks in PT to instantiate one instance of VEP then use midi and Aux tracks after that. Can't one just use instrument's tracks all the time ?? Doing so will create a new VEP instance every time which i don't want, is there a way around this ?

I'm on a spanking new imac 27'' and MBP, when i change the buffer of the VEP instance to 0 instead of 2, the system become very unstable and there's crackles in the audio. How do you guys play live with VEP when you're stuck with 2 as buffer as this is way too much delay for live performance.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:06 AM

If you want everything to come in to VEP on a single stereo stem, just create one instrument track, and connect it.

Then, assign each instrument in this instance to a different MIDI channel(if you have more than 16, then you'll need to use multiple midi ports).

Now to control each instrument, just create plain MIDI tracks, and assign them to the appropriate MIDI channel output for their instrument.

As far as latency goes, the problem you have is your keyboard's MIDI is passing though pro tools buffer, then through the VEP buffer on the slave machine, and then through pro tools again. The only way to solve this is to use a program like MIDI patchbay (a free mac app made by notahat) and a network MIDI driver like ipMIDI or Midi over lan that is external to VEP.

Basically, on the master computer you do this:

Keyboard -> Midi patchbay -> ethenet midi port

On the slave, set VEP to receive this MIDI port directly.

Make sure that the MIDI track you are recording to on the master is set to "No Output" while you are recording, otherwise you will have double notes going to the slave.

You have to constantly toggle between having each track's MIDI output on or off and MIDI patchbay patched or not, but these extra steps make a huge difference in noticeable playing latency.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 08-19-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
As far as latency goes, the problem you have is your keyboard's MIDI is passing though pro tools buffer, then through the VEP buffer on the slave machine, and then through pro tools again. The only way to solve this is to use a program like MIDI patchbay (a free mac app made by notahat) and a network MIDI driver like ipMIDI or Midi over lan that is external to VEP.

Basically, on the master computer you do this:

Keyboard -> Midi patchbay -> ethenet midi port

On the slave, set VEP to receive this MIDI port directly.

Make sure that the MIDI track you are recording to on the master is set to "No Output" while you are recording, otherwise you will have double notes going to the slave.

You have to constantly toggle between having each track's MIDI output on or off and MIDI patchbay patched or not, but these extra steps make a huge difference in noticeable playing latency.
Thanks for the info....damn i thought VEP was suppose to make your life easier, all this work around seems like a huge PITA
Old 08-19-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudoo View Post
In the manual it states to use instruments tracks in PT to instantiate one instance of VEP then use midi and Aux tracks after that. Can't one just use instrument's tracks all the time ?? Doing so will create a new VEP instance every time which i don't want, is there a way around this ?
You can use Instruments tracks instead of MIDI+Aux tracks for your additionnal VEP-VIs outputs :

Example for 8 VIs :
- 1 instrument track with VEP (8 VI inside with individual outputs and MIDI channels)
- 7 instrument track without VEP (but you route VEP audio output -> instrument track inputs and instrument track MIDI output -> VEP midi inputs)
(if you don't see MIDI routing inside your instrument tracks : go to Menu "View/Mix Window Views" and clic on "Instruments")

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudoo View Post
I'm on a spanking new imac 27'' and MBP, when i change the buffer of the VEP instance to 0 instead of 2, the system become very unstable and there's crackles in the audio. How do you guys play live with VEP when you're stuck with 2 as buffer as this is way too much delay for live performance.
After changing VEP Buffer, try to de-activate your VEP instance and re-activate it (to de-activate a plugin : hold "cmd+ctrl" + clic on plug-in insert); or save and close your session and reload it.
PT12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.11.1 (MBP)
PT 10.3.10 / PT11.3.2 / PT12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.8.5 (MM "Production" on SSD)
PT 12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.11.1 (MM "test" on HDD)
RME UFX (USB2 with MM and Firewire with MBP)
+ Vienna Ensemble Pro Server on PC Q6600/8Gb/Win7-Pro64-SP1