Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2002, 03:07 PM

Default anyone proficient with BF compressors?

I just got a few demos to try out, LA-2A, 1176 and also the Fairchild.
I'm aware that these have a very rich and solid history since the 60's and are considered to be some of the best processing around (of course, refering the genuine hardware equivs), but I think it takes a while getting comfortable with this 'optical' design which has different settings than the more traditional compressors.

Anyone have any tips to share on how to use these to their full potential? Any basic rules, as there's often just a simple 'input and output' knob with a ratio dial on these plugins. When they first show up on the screen, I must admit not knowing where to start, and although I'm all for 'trusting my ears', I'd hate to turn this or that knob in any direction just to see how it changes the sound, resulting in more coloration than actually improving things.

Well, you know what I'm getting at here, just a few basics from some experienced users and perhaps what device you prefer for what instrument (?), stuff like that would be very helpful.

A Fairchild on drum loop or a 1176? LA-2A on bass or LA-2A on strings? That kinda stuff.

Thank you all!

pk
Old 07-23-2002, 03:13 PM

Default Re: anyone proficient with BF compressors?

pk,
I have dabbled with each of the comps you mentioned, but always have come back to the C4 as my favorite overall compressor. I'm not an expert on compressors, but my ears tell me that it's a safe bet in general.
It'll be interesting to learn what others here know, though. ~R
Old 07-23-2002, 03:15 PM

In the demos I have tried, I have found the "bypass" setting to be most effective.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:32 PM

Roy, I know what you mean, for me it's the Renaissance Comp which never fails (C4 on individual tracks would shut me down quickly!), and I can just keep using that, but then I feel that I'm not seizing an opportunity to really learn these classics.

So many people rave about 'em, how smooth and 'buttery' they can make things sound, but I've yet to go "wow, this sounds gorgeous!", and that's partly due to the fact that I'm not quite sure how to work the settings. I can hear a differnce from the dry signal by hitting bypass, but I always fail in making it sound 'just right'.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:22 PM

I`ve used the LA 2A on bass and vocals with good results. ya hafta make sure yoù don`t hit it too hard `cause its pumping its audible then. Speaking of BF, try the sansamp followed by the La2a.....

cheers,

jorge

www.abacomusic.com
Old 07-23-2002, 04:26 PM

In all hostety,I have tried them here and there and almost always went back to others.A lot of times I use the stock Digi compressor.I think its wonderful lol.While the other plugins from BF are fantastic,their compressors are a bit weird for me.I use the fairchild and the two classic comps sometimes more as an effect that a compressor.They colour the sound a lot.If balls to the wall compression is what you are after,you need the waves stuff,or the trusted Digi comp.
Old 07-23-2002, 05:16 PM

I can't believe more hasn't been said about the LA-2A. It is by far the best comp plug out there. I use it in every session I do. Next to the renassaince eq6, it is the best plug I own.
Old 07-23-2002, 05:31 PM

The LA-2A is great on vocals and acoustic guitars, anything where you want smooth compression. I usually squash the peaks by 10-20 dB then just make up for the volume with the gain stage.

Watch out where you click though, if you click near 100 on the gain - it goes to 100 - instantly. Loud as all fricken get out. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The 1176 is a great limiter and I still am getting my hands around it. The best advice I can give is small moves on that one. You know when you are hitting the signal too hard - it pumps like crazy. Good for drums, bass, and from some heavy compression effects.
Old 07-23-2002, 05:39 PM

When I mix a session, you will see a BF 1176 on almost every channel..
Old 07-23-2002, 06:17 PM

I pesonally like the fairchild on vocals. I like the grit it puts on them. seems to liven them up a bit. I guess its kind of a rock thing. also try putting a drum mix through an aux and slapping the fairchild on it. cool effect. I belive there is no latency in this plug.