Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2023, 01:27 PM

Default Soliciting tips to avoid CPU overload

Hey all, just soliciting any tips you might have for avoiding CPU overload. I'm running PT Studio 2023.3 on MacOS 13.3.1. My machine is a M1 Max Mac Studio with 64GB and projects are on internal 2TB SSD. I really shouldn't be having problems. It's a small project with a few VIs and a few plug-ins, but not at all what I would call a large project. I haven't really started using PT in earnest so it's a small test project.

I'm using a MOTU 828es and 24Ai for audio interfaces, and when I'm running other DAW software I can do just fine with a 256 buffer. Seems plenty. But when running PT if I try to do much of anything on the fly... like deleting plugs, or other operations I'll get CPU spike warnings. Going up to 512 buffer didn't help. Finally went to 1024 buffer, but it seems as if on this computer, running PT 2023.3 natively on Apple Silicon this shouldn't be happening and I should need such a larger buffer.

Are there any other settings you could recommend I check? Sorry for the basic nature of this question, but I'm a newbie when it comes to Pro Tools. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-22-2023, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Soliciting tips to avoid CPU overload

I would recommend inspecting plugins. Plugins greatly impact PT, even if not used in the session.
Remove all plugins from the avid plugins folder, Avid ones will be reinstalled automatically. Test with these plugins only. Do those issues persist?

Move plugins back one by one (or in batches). Update to new versions.

Trash preferences with Pete Gates Utility.

Should get you back on track soon. Godspeed!

cMP 2 x 3,46, 128GB Ram
Monterey 12.7.4
Metric Halo 3d 2882 I/O
Lucid 88192 with Blue Sky 5.1 monitoring
10gbE ethernet with True Nas storage
Old 05-22-2023, 02:49 PM

Does this happen with all sessions? Sessions that share some common history or template?

"Always suspect plugins" is the good rule of Pro Tools troubleshooting. And it's not just what plugins you are using in a session. Any plugins installed in Pro Tools can cause issues, so you need to follow the suggestions in the reply above.

Also make sure your system is optimized. Start by doing *everything* no matter how inconvenient. See "Help us help you" up the top of every DUC web page.

Normally disk performance is also something to check, but since you are using the internal super fast SSD, it should not be a question.

And ultimately if deleting plugins with the transport running is causing problems... just don't do it.
Old 05-22-2023, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonatee View Post
Update to new versions.
This!. I have the same machine and it can handle a lot. Make sure you have the latest driver for your interface as well.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:54 PM

And, let us know which VI plugins you are using in your troubled session(s). I say that because on my own rig, KeyScape would drag it to its knees every time. My solution is to use MiniGrand until the midi performance is all tweaked to perfection, then swap back to KeyScape and commit the track.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave