Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2001, 05:29 PM

Default Alesis Masterlink vs ProTools LE\\MasterList CD

I'm in the process of converting from a ADAT based studio to a ProTools LE Mac home studio. I use the Alesis Masterlink currently to burn CD's but I'm not sure I need it anymore since I'll have a CDR(with Jam software) on my ProTools system. The question is: Can I burn comparable CD's using software such as MasterList CD with my computer's CDR to the CD's I can burn on my Masterlink. It would be nice to sell the Masterlink to help pay for the ProTools system but I would hate to go down in quality by doing so.
Old 11-29-2001, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Alesis Masterlink vs ProTools LE\\MasterList CD

I don't think you need it. I would keep everything inside the computer if I were you. If you haven't already bought the Digi001, make sure you spend the extra money on the Digi001 Factory. It is definately worth the price for the extra plugins.

Jason
Old 11-30-2001, 09:34 AM

I find the Masterlink extremely convenient and wonderful. I can keep some CDs on its harddrive that I need to burn now and then which I can do easilly, without stopping work on anything else.
Old 11-30-2001, 05:26 PM

If you are interested in 24-bit/96k mixes, I would keep the Masterlink...

SC

When the machine produces tranquillity, it's right.
---Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Old 11-30-2001, 11:08 PM

Definitely keep the masterlink - in addition to the above suggestions, you can archive your mixes at 24 bits (preserving bit depth for future technologies) and you'd also have an option to BTD which many claim degrades your mixes.

Tony
Old 12-01-2001, 09:34 AM

In fact, not only should you keep the MasterLink, you should buy more. Not one or two, but hundreds and hundreds, if not thousands.

While I know my own solution is not for everyone, I have found it works very well for me:

I have sold my house and in its place built a shrine to the MasterLink, in the shape of a MasterLink, using MasterLinks as bricks for all construction. I am never more than an arm reach away from any MasterLink. I sleep on a MasterLink bed and eat on MasterLink plates. I am in the process of legally changing my name to MasterLink. In one room, I retain a MasterLink running version 1 software as a keepsake, and to remind me and all those who culminate their pilgramages in that sacred spot, just how far we've come. It is a quiet place, a room of reflection and peace in which all that is heard is the soothing whir of the MasterLink's harddrive. It says to me and all those who visit: "trust me, for I shall selflesslly render and burn red book and proprietary high resolution CDs, and offer satisfactory DSP and basic editing tools day and night. Give me your audio, and all will be well."

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

-MMM
Old 12-05-2001, 11:17 PM

dont smoke so much ...
♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫ ...
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]