Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2012, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Can this be done with PT10? (Realistic Strings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
I prefer the real thing too, but I was impressed with this (Check out the video demos);
http://www.prominy.com/SC.htm
Wow very nice. Do we know if this will work with PT10?
Old 11-28-2012, 03:11 PM

The main difference I have heard from users that have or have used both are that Hollywood strings sound exactly like it states, a Hollywood orchestra sound... EW is more of a classical (European) orchestra sound.

EW works fine as either an RTAS plugin directly within Pro Tools or you can (since RAM is limited for VI's with the current 32 bit program) get the Vienna Ensemble Pro and wrap it into Pro Tools.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:12 PM

According to this video comparo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO2FE...eature=related

LA Scoring Strings is a better value than Hollywood Strings.

Does LA Scoring work OK with PT10?
Old 11-28-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
The main difference I have heard from users that have or have used both are that Hollywood strings sound exactly like it states, a Hollywood orchestra sound... EW is more of a classical (European) orchestra sound.

EW works fine as either an RTAS plugin directly within Pro Tools or you can (since RAM is limited for VI's with the current 32 bit program) get the Vienna Ensemble Pro and wrap it into Pro Tools.
I wonder if VE Pro is worse than LASS and by how much. Researching.

So VE Pro runs as RTAS but LASS does not?
Old 11-28-2012, 03:23 PM

The guys I know have enjoyed LASS quite thoroughly... If you want to know how every VI works with pro tools, just search the forums.... or Google search it... Most of these plugs have been around for a while so they likely wont have any issues... It basically comes down to what you are trying to do, what your budget is, and which you prefer... most of them have about the same features/tool set but sometimes use different terminology to describe the feature and they all use a different sample library to trigger.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:42 PM

I think there's a need for some definitions here to help avoid confusing you.

1. EW - the company Eastwest, they make Hollywood strings, and some other products. I think what the references to "EW" in this thread actually mean to say is EWQLSO. All Eastwest products run in their proprietary player, PLAY.

2. EWQLSO - an older product made by eastwest that includes sounds of all major orch instruments, not just strings like hollywood strings.

3. LASS - LA scoring strings, a strings-only library in the same price point as hollywood strings. LASS runs in the Kontakt Player Plugin. (Free if you own LASS)

4. VE Pro - VE pro is not to be confused with the Vienna sample libraries, it is a program used to host VI's on either a separate computer(transferring audio and midi to your main computer via ethernet), or on the same computer(To take advantage of using more than 4GB of RAM if you are using a 32 bit DAW like pro tools). The purpose of VE pro is to take CPU and RAM load out of Pro Tools, or whatever other DAW you are using.

5. Vienna Sample libraries - There are a lot of these, they run in a proprietary Vienna Player.

All of these have RTAS versions, so they are all technically compatible with pro Tools, but like anything it's not a bad idea to research your pro tools version, os version, etc.'s compatibility with them before buying. Basically, see what other users with similar setups are reporting on forums, make sure there aren't any crashes or other weirdness.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 11-28-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
The guys I know have enjoyed LASS quite thoroughly... If you want to know how every VI works with pro tools, just search the forums.... or Google search it... Most of these plugs have been around for a while so they likely wont have any issues... It basically comes down to what you are trying to do, what your budget is, and which you prefer... most of them have about the same features/tool set but sometimes use different terminology to describe the feature and they all use a different sample library to trigger.
Thanks.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
I think there's a need for some definitions here to help avoid confusing you.

1. EW - the company Eastwest, they make Hollywood strings, and some other products. I think what the references to "EW" in this thread actually mean to say is EWQLSO. All Eastwest products run in their proprietary player, PLAY.

2. EWQLSO - an older product made by eastwest that includes sounds of all major orch instruments, not just strings like hollywood strings.

3. LASS - LA scoring strings, a strings-only library in the same price point as hollywood strings. LASS runs in the Kontakt Player Plugin. (Free if you own LASS)

4. VE Pro - VE pro is not to be confused with the Vienna sample libraries, it is a program used to host VI's on either a separate computer(transferring audio and midi to your main computer via ethernet), or on the same computer(To take advantage of using more than 4GB of RAM if you are using a 32 bit DAW like pro tools). The purpose of VE pro is to take CPU and RAM load out of Pro Tools, or whatever other DAW you are using.

5. Vienna Sample libraries - There are a lot of these, they run in a proprietary Vienna Player.

All of these have RTAS versions, so they are all technically compatible with pro Tools, but like anything it's not a bad idea to research your pro tools version, os version, etc.'s compatibility with them before buying. Basically, see what other users with similar setups are reporting on forums, make sure there aren't any crashes or other weirdness.

Thank you, I appreciate the time you took. This was helpful. But it generates more qs:

3. So will Kontakt play the role of Pro Tools? Something else? Bottom line, will LASS play nicely with PT10?

4. "(transferring audio and midi to your main computer via ethernet)" ? Wow! That's amazing. Why would they build such capability? Resources I am guessing? Computing power? RAM? Storage?

4b: "The purpose of VE pro is to take CPU and RAM load out of Pro Tools, or whatever other DAW you are using". OK so if I am using VE and PT on the same computer, how is that helping me with resource mgt?

5. Can I use them in PT?

I keep asking "can I use this and that in PT". I am guessing there is a blanket answer for that. Cos I see that PT supports certain "codecs" like ASIO (cant remember the rest) and I am guessing if a certain VI supports the same, then they are compatible. However, I feel that certain VIs would play nicer, more seamlessly with PT than others. FOr example like the Expansion Rack. It's made by Avid right? So am I right to assume that the Rack will be easier to use with PT (from a stability and usability standpoint) than other VIs? Regardless of type of sound.

Also what do you guys mean by "Native" support? Maybe that's where my answers are hiding?

New and confused but very eager to learn.

Bottom line, I am trying to get the right TOOLS (best sounding and relatively stable ones) before I start writing my own music.

Sorry for the fire hose effect :)
Old 11-28-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavriil1 View Post
Wow very nice. Do we know if this will work with PT10?
Yes, through Kontact rewired into Pro Tools.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 11-28-2012, 06:48 PM

Hey

I am NOT trying to be rude or meen by any standards but, I really think you need to get your hands on a Pro Tools video and a basic tutorial that covers all your questions regarding what is what. With all these questions I feel like there will only be more questions and making you all dizzy and confused. By the way you write in the posts I get the feeling you really need to get the basic recording down before you keep the questions upon questions coming. They cover so much more than just what VI you want to buy as you seem to have a limited understanding about recording DAW's and what the differences are in VI's, DAW's and so on. Go to youtube and start there as they have millions of pretty good videos on all your thoughts and questions.

I hope you take this the right way and not any other way
All the best
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————