Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2011, 08:26 PM

Default HD1 PCIe Core Now Selling For 1800.00 Used

I've seen 2 HD PCIe Core Cards with PT8 or PT9 sell for less than 1800.00 on eBay.

Lots of PCI(x) Core Cards available on eBay that come with transfer of ownership, these can be used to upgrade to Native or HDX.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 11-03-2011, 09:31 PM

Default Re: HD1 PCIe Core Now Selling For 1800.00 Used

Damn, and I paid $2,600 for one about 6 weeks ago when that or higher was the going price.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:53 PM

There is a PCIe core on the for sale thread here for 900 euro..

It actually gave me second thoughts about buying my Native card.. Oh well.. onward and upward.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 11-04-2011, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
I've seen 2 HD PCIe Core Cards with PT8 or PT9 sell for less than 1800.00 on eBay.

Lots of PCI(x) Core Cards available on eBay that come with transfer of ownership, these can be used to upgrade to Native or HDX.
Actually Barry, you've just given me an idea. Perhaps I'll hang on to the 2 Accel cards that I still have and pick up a replacement PCIe core card. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm probably stuck with the native card now and as part of the trade in deal I have to send back my PCIe Core card to Avid.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumster View Post
Actually Barry, you've just given me an idea. Perhaps I'll hang on to the 2 Accel cards that I still have and pick up a replacement PCIe core card. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm probably stuck with the native card now and as part of the trade in deal I have to send back my PCIe Core card to Avid.
You can always sell the Native card, and cut your losses. I've looked at the Native thing hard, and wanted it to be right for me, but I just can't see going from HD when you can use RTAS to Native if you are still in the business of tracking while mixing.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 11-04-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
You can always sell the Native card, and cut your losses. I've looked at the Native thing hard, and wanted it to be right for me, but I just can't see going from HD when you can use RTAS to Native if you are still in the business of tracking while mixing.
It looks like it won't come to that. I just spoke to my Sweetwater sales rep, and he told me that if Avid can't fix the problem that I'll be able to return the Native card. This is another example of just how great Sweetwater is to deal with. They are focused on customer service and making sure you're happy with the products you buy from them. I haven't sent my core card into Avid yet, so I'm still well within the 30 day grace period to come up with a solution.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:37 PM

I went through nine pages here in the "Buy & Sell" section, and didn't see one going for 900 euros. There is an Accel card for 950 euros, but no core card.

I'd also like to see these eBay listings. In general, I see these going for $2,050 and up. Here are the exceptions I was able to find:

There is one that sold for just under $1,800 with NO SOFTWARE (although, bordering on fraud, the title includes the words "Protools 9"). Now, the software, if you can find it, will probably set you back another $200-300, so now we're in the ballpark of what these should sell for.

There is another -- weirdly, it seems there were four cards for sale in this particular listing -- which included a 7.3 license that shows a sale for $1,550 (no bid history on anything!). WOW! But wait... hmm... this seems odd... according to the counter at the bottom of the page, how many people viewed this listing? Two people? Umm hmm. Yeah, right. Incidentally, the seller is in "Sunnyvale"... seems pretty close to Avid headquarters. Trade-ins undercutting the marketplace?

I don't know what game these people are playing, but I'll offer a theory.

If I were in the market for a steal of a deal on an HD PCIe system and I were a dishonest, manipulative person, one approach would be to post fake sales of these items here and there for ridiculously low prices. This would naturally force others to sell theirs for comparably low prices.

Now, if I were AVID and I wanted everyone to buy into my expensive new "upgrade" (or trade-in), it would also make sense to flood the market with ridiculously cheap core cards... thereby bringing down the prices and accelerating the sales of these used cards... and consequently accelerating the conversion of those sellers to the new HDX system or a downgrade to the Native system -- both of which I'm sure have higher profit margins than previous offerings.

I'm sorry, but when I see four cards for sale for something like $1550, but only two people ever viewed the listing and there is no bid history and the seller is from Sillicon Valley... I just have to wonder.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:45 PM

LOL... Sorry about the nine page thing.. it may have been on GS, Turtlerock or one of the other forums I visit.. I'll see if I can find it..

Also, the sale may not have been related to PT10 or such.. over the last year there have been a couple of studios close their doors down here and a sell-off of quite a bit of gear..

The majority of it went right away and the bits have dribbled out since.. One guy originally offered a pair of distressors for $900 each.. I responded about 5 min after he posted and there were like 30 people ahead of me.. The guy selling is well-known and respected and it was a tragic loss for the scene down here...

Can't imagine that it's any better in the States.

Strange days..
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 11-07-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmartin View Post
I went through nine pages here in the "Buy & Sell" section, and didn't see one going for 900 euros. There is an Accel card for 950 euros, but no core card.

I'd also like to see these eBay listings. In general, I see these going for $2,050 and up. Here are the exceptions I was able to find:

There is one that sold for just under $1,800 with NO SOFTWARE (although, bordering on fraud, the title includes the words "Protools 9"). Now, the software, if you can find it, will probably set you back another $200-300, so now we're in the ballpark of what these should sell for.

There is another -- weirdly, it seems there were four cards for sale in this particular listing -- which included a 7.3 license that shows a sale for $1,550 (no bid history on anything!). WOW! But wait... hmm... this seems odd... according to the counter at the bottom of the page, how many people viewed this listing? Two people? Umm hmm. Yeah, right. Incidentally, the seller is in "Sunnyvale"... seems pretty close to Avid headquarters. Trade-ins undercutting the marketplace?

I don't know what game these people are playing, but I'll offer a theory.

If I were in the market for a steal of a deal on an HD PCIe system and I were a dishonest, manipulative person, one approach would be to post fake sales of these items here and there for ridiculously low prices. This would naturally force others to sell theirs for comparably low prices.

Now, if I were AVID and I wanted everyone to buy into my expensive new "upgrade" (or trade-in), it would also make sense to flood the market with ridiculously cheap core cards... thereby bringing down the prices and accelerating the sales of these used cards... and consequently accelerating the conversion of those sellers to the new HDX system or a downgrade to the Native system -- both of which I'm sure have higher profit margins than previous offerings.

I'm sorry, but when I see four cards for sale for something like $1550, but only two people ever viewed the listing and there is no bid history and the seller is from Sillicon Valley... I just have to wonder.
I deleted the last 2 I was referring to. I watch all eBay sales, as I'm debating buying them all up and turning HDX systems for a profit. Did this a lot a few years ago.

There are also more PCIe HD cards selling now than in the last year, a lot more.

I'll post some more in the next few weeks.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I deleted the last 2 I was referring to.
I'm not sure I know what you mean.

I'm looking at eBay completed listings too and I don't see them...

I could see how you could turn a profit if these were indeed selling for $1800 (legitimately). Fortunately, they're not. At least, that's not what I'm expecting to sell mine for (I have one for sale here on the DUC).

As long as people don't get sucked into some rumor on the interwebs that these are routinely selling for $1,800, they won't get screwed when they break down and sell theirs for $400-$500 less than what it's actually worth. Of course, that won't improve your profit margin. But you sound like you know what you're doing.

I'm not saying your motives for bringing the issue up here are in any way ulterior... I'm just sayin'...