Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2010, 10:36 AM

Default Audio input reference levels?

I have a 96i I/O & a 96 I/O.

On the 96 I/O has +4dBu or -10dBV inputs, which do I use? and the same question for the audio outs?

On the 96i I/O Inputs 1-4 have either +4dBu or -4bBV to -12dBV settings. Inputs 5-16 it's either +4dBu or -8 dBV, which do I use?

I only have Synths plugged into each input & 1 output that goes back into a synth to be processed.

1more thing, Output Line levels going to my monitor speakers? +4 dBu or -10 dBV?
Old 06-08-2010, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Audio input reference levels?

The specs for all of your synths should list an 'optimal' output level, as well as input, i.e. maximum output level =0dBu. If that's the case, keep everything at -10. +4 is really more for balanced high-output circuits that can push as much as +20dBu.

The same would hold true for your powered monitors and could be figured out depending on what type of input connector they have. If they have balanced XLR or TRS, then chances are +4 is what they want to see. If it's an unbalanced input, i.e. 1/4" TS or Phono jack, then you'll need to use -10.