Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2009, 11:50 AM

Default Re: How do you pros compensate delay

I KNOW this isn't an ideal situation for most, but it's a "No Brainer" workflow, without having to deal with ANY delay compensation, but it involves dumping ALL of your plugins, and committing your entire workflow, except for the Master bus, to 1 plugin.

Before I got my HD system for at home, I'd been Mixing a few records in LE, at home. On the "Other Side" (A mac) (sorry) , I'd pretty much committed my entire workflow, on every track, including Aux's with Parallel compression, to MetricHalo ChannelStrip.

As long as the 1 Plugin can offer SEVERAL different Characters of Compression, I can mix a whole record with it.

Just got Spammed with THIS which looks like a viable cross platform solution, similar to what I'm talking about.

Insert it on EVERY channel, weather you use it or not, and commit to it for Compression, EQ, DeEssing, Transient Shaping, Limiting - ALL your mixing needs across the board.

Any "Modulation or Special Effects", duplicate your playlist, and use Audio Suite to Process / Print the audio in place, and Save Presets.

I got away with this workflow for about 2 years Mixing records at home, on a BLA 002, that when I;d take into the studio, and open up on the HD system, would have the exact same sample accurate phase relationship, even with Delay compensation on.

I'd literally, for almost 2 years, do 98% of the mix at home like this, and really only take it out to the studio to Bounce it down through HD's Stereo Dithered DAE Mixer.

When I watched the Alloy video, I instantly thought - "I could mix a whole record with that if I had to"

Even if you DON'T adopt this idea for a workflow, it looks like a pretty powerful evolution of the chanelstrip plugin concept.

I know people will say - "We shouldn't have to do that" - "This is Digi's problem" - but you know what... it's the "Current reality" of the software, and I'm certainly not offering this as a "Solution" in this thread - I'm just offering up another "MM-ATA" or "Nudge" scenario, offering another "Delay Free workflow" for Mixing ITB in PT-LE in it's current state.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 10-31-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFish View Post
Just got Spammed with THIS which looks like a viable cross platform solution, similar to what I'm talking about.

Insert it on EVERY channel, weather you use it or not, and commit to it for Compression, EQ, DeEssing, Transient Shaping, Limiting - ALL your mixing needs across the board.

When I watched the Alloy video, I instantly thought - "I could mix a whole record with that if I had to"

Even if you DON'T adopt this idea for a workflow, it looks like a pretty powerful evolution of the chanelstrip plugin concept.
Alloy is fantastic! The most advanced channel strip up until now. Unbelievably flexible and still a great workflow.
It's easy on the CPU as well contrary to some claims I've read (maybe because people activate all the processes at once with multiband option enabled on the processes that support it).. and most important: zero latency.

My goto plugin for everything else than modulation, delay and reverb.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:43 AM

As far as HW buffer and plugin delay is concerned, I made some experiments a while ago, see link below:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showpost.p...90&postcount=7
Old 11-01-2009, 05:49 AM

Alloy looks pretty darn impressive. I'll have to try the demo

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-01-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otobot View Post
Alloy is fantastic! The most advanced channel strip up until now. Unbelievably flexible and still a great workflow.
It's easy on the CPU as well contrary to some claims I've read (maybe because people activate all the processes at once with multiband option enabled on the processes that support it).. and most important: zero latency.

My goto plugin for everything else than modulation, delay and reverb.
I just bought it, I hope I like it as much as you do. I couldn't resist the $129. special offer.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-01-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I just bought it, I hope I like it as much as you do. I couldn't resist the $129. special offer.
I'm sure you will

I've evaluated it for about 3 weeks (also after the demo expired with occasional muting of the audio) and I couldn't justify not getting it.. I probably tried every channel strip there is (for example I had URS CSP, which was not bad, but sold it after a while) and nothing comes close to Alloy in terms of functionality/flexibility and workflow combined with a great sound, zero latency and low cpu utilization for what is offered.

And I didn't qualify for the $129 offer, because I don't have the full version of Ozone. I bought it at an online retailer for $199 (minus discount).
Old 11-01-2009, 01:55 PM

Good to hear it, thanks.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com