Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2020, 06:49 AM

Default Auto crossfade when clips overlap?

Hi, if I have clips on the timeline overlap, how do I get them to auto crossfade?

I am using Pro Tools 2020 (Education discount, so probably not Ultra version).

I looked in prefs and under Editing I don't see anything for auto crossfades.

In manual I see how I can use selector and select time then Cmd-F. But then when I move clips, the crossfades don't move.

I am trying to figure out if I can get this version of Pro Tools to behave how I am used to in Reaper, where dragging a clip that overlaps with another also readjusts crossfades.

thanks
Old 11-06-2020, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Auto crossfade when clips overlap?

You don’t, not automatically like you are used to. It’s frustrating, even simple automatic fade is a Pro Tools Ultimate feature.

But you need to work out how to do this best in Pro Tools, open up the Reference Guide and start reading about batch fades. The reference guide should be your go to first source for help how to do stuff.... vs. trying to work it out by futzing with the application.
Old 12-19-2023, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Auto crossfade when clips overlap?

Sorry to dredge up an old thread... but:

I think this is a feature that's sorely lacking in PT, and think devs should seriously consider adding this capability.

I bumped into this thread searching in desperation. Several years ago I switched to Reaper as my main DAW, and I love it. But I've started working more in post-production and felt some pressure to use "the industry standard" as I work on larger projects.

Oddly, of all the things to learn/re-learn, this is the one I'm having the hardest time with: just the simple ability to merge two clips and have them auto-crossfade (default behavior in Reaper, and apparently not possible at all in PT).

I find it to be equally valuable in music production as in film. Drag a clip atop another (and especially in music be able to quickly, visually match up phase), move on.

To maybe better explain the biggest strength of this, an example: Let's say I want to add a small bit of room tone to a dialogue track that has a gap. And let's say, beyond the end of the dialogue track that I'm connecting to, there's something in the clip I don't want to be audible; and beyond the beginning of the room tone clip I'm crossfading in, there's also something I don't want to be audible.

In Reaper, I can merge these two by simply dragging the room-tone clip into the other clip; they'll auto-crossfade, and I have no risk of hearing what was beyond the bounds of either clip.

In PT, this seems to be a much more imperfect science. Drag the one clip over the other, then try to crossfade as best as possible without introducing those unwanted sounds at the beginning/end of either clip.

I'd love to hear if anyone has a workflow they're happy with for quick crossfades like this in PT. I keep wondering if I'm missing something, but I've spent hours going through the manual and looking online and I'm coming up with nothing.