Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2023, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Anyone using M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemdream View Post
The strange thing is it's creating the pro tools log files. But they are all 0 bytes.
Perms on the folder are drwxr-xr-x

With me as the owner and staff as the group.

Pro Tools does load fine in another account.
Curious what version you are loading?

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 12-16-2023, 02:21 PM

Carl the OP was using 2023.9 for this. I don't see any notice of a bug fix that sounds related to this in 2023.12.

I suspect the OP has likely given up, his thread about his problem has been overrun with other stuff.

The creation of empty log files is likely a problem in Pro Tools, maybe something that is specific to his M3. It may be something as asinine as Pro Tools logging, maybe Crashpad software, mishandling strings from the system info. Or might be anything else, it's likely one really for Avid to investigate. Ah the irony of the Crash reporting software causing problems....

There was a possibly related issue with EUCON failing to start up recently on an M3 Mac, and Eddie solved that by having the user disable Crashpad logging in Eucon. https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p=2688418

I don't know if you can disable Crashpad and any other logging in Pro Tools, that would be the next thing to try if possible. I poked around Pro Tools and did not see an obvious way, that's maybe a question for support, or just open the whole issue as a support case. This one really should get looked at, it's never good when the crash handler/error logging system is falling over, whatever the cause.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-16-2023 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-17-2023, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemdream View Post
FML...

I used a new admin user and PT loaded fine. It even loaded plugins.

So, in my "real" admin user, I disabled all login items and that didn't help. I booted in safe mode, that didn't help.

Any other ideas? I don't want a user just for PT...
hey chemdream, what's your "real" admin user's username? I was going nuts with this error for almost a week before I figured out the issue. My username was a single character, and in some weird digidesign log process it was replacing that character with `username`. Yeah it makes no sense, but anyway please let us know if your username is something weird. That would confirm that this is the bug. Then you could change rename your username per the instructions here: https://www.macworld.com/article/673...ame.html#toc-2

After renaming, I'm very happy to say my Pro Tools is launching again :)

crazy.
Old 12-17-2023, 07:48 PM

^^oooh thanks so much for posting that info wildmolasses. And welcome to DUC.

Poor Chemdream may have given up with this thread.

Any chance the single character name you were using was anything special in unicode?

What mac and macOS are you on?
Old 12-18-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
^^oooh thanks so much for posting that info wildmolasses. And welcome to DUC.

Poor Chemdream may have given up with this thread.

Any chance the single character name you were using was anything special in unicode?

What mac and macOS are you on?
hey Darryl, the single character name was simply "e".

I'm on a 2021 m1 Max, osx 13.6
Old 12-28-2023, 09:44 AM

Hi,

i had the same issue. My home directory and user name had been different and my home directory was very short as well (2 characters). So i would say that i somehow can confirm the bug.

Renaming the account did solve the problem.

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmolasses View Post
hey Darryl, the single character name was simply "e".

I'm on a 2021 m1 Max, osx 13.6
Old 12-28-2023, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_sono2 View Post
Renaming the account did solve the problem.
On macOS you can also create symbolic link from /Users/username to /wherever/whateverfolder
Old 01-06-2024, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogboy100 View Post
I just spent the last week working on about 20 music sessions for a major theme park by a major composer. Massive amounts of tracks - multiple stripes of individual sections of full orchestra and choir, and all the other synth tracks as well, etc. Definitely sessions that needed to be run in HD-Native mode because the track limits of an HDX 3 system wouldn't have been enough. Mixes required up to 60+ surround stems. Tons and tons of tracks and plugins.

Had to do it from my new MacBook Pro 14" M3 Pro (while in bed recovering from an injury) and not a single hiccup!!! That was PT 2023.9 on Sonoma 14.1 too (specs in my sig).

I fully endorse M3 with PT. Sure there are a very few Sonoma related issues that are minor inconveniences (like Soundflow issues) but nothing that got in my way.

Although in hindsight I would also recommend an M2 Pro over M3 Pro since the M2 Pro has 2 more performance cores and in theory could handle even more than my M3 Pro did (but I really wanted Space Black, lol).

But my M3 Pro worked like a champ on it. Amazing computers!
Yes, be careful concerning the M3 Pro. Some operations are slower than the M2 Pro as the memory bandwidth has been reduced in the M3 Pro. I selected an M3 Max/64 GB MBP 16". Also, be aware that the RAM is shared between the CPU and the GPU. 48GB may be enough, but to futureproof I would suggest not less than 64GB RAM.

I am running Sonoma 14.2.1 and PT Ultimate 2023.12, 24 channels of Carbon, and the Slate Media MTi 2 with no issues.

Enjoying the discussion,
Robert
Houston, TX