Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 04:28 PM

Default Re: How can i trust ProTools - why should i ever trust ProTools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
^^ yep. But one nice thing is you often don't need to install *any* third party plugins, or even Avid optional plugins, on a system that is only used for tracking (esp. if its a record a live performance). And heck if about to set up some critical tracking sessions, just move all .aaxplugin files to the Unused Folder, and you'll be running with just the core plugins installed... which are very well trusted. You can copy all those .aaxplugin files back when done.

I've been meaning to suggest to Pete Gates adding something to PT Prefs to make this even easier.
That would be very cool. Great idea to just take them out. I haven't run into any issues yet (fingers crossed) on this new machine. For Protools, the cleaner you run it the better.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 04-04-2023, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
WHAT?

until the new machines came out with th HD on the MB this was totally simple. I've done it many many times on many Mac's, even laptops.
That's the thing. NOTHING is upgradeable now. Nothing.
Old 04-05-2023, 02:45 AM

Just my 2p - I just use Logic when I'm doing any sort of critical live recording (which isn't that often to be fair). Have had my fingers burnt before in those kinds of situations and I no longer trust Pro Tools not to throw one of those classic "-xxxx" errors.

Last edited by midnightrambler; 04-05-2023 at 10:32 AM. Reason: typos
Old 04-05-2023, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Please can we stop it with this ancient misinformation. There is absolutely no need to have a dedicated audio drive on any modern Mac, all that is likely to do is offer worse performance than the internal super fast NVMe SSD.

C.
All Computer Systems:
- 8GB RAM
- Internet connection (needed for installation, activation)
- 15GB of free space for installation
- One or more hard disk drives dedicated for audio record and playback, formatted HFS+ Journaled for Mac or NTFS for Windows. For more information, see this article.

Avid says to use a dedicated audio and I always will so maybe you can can it with YOUR misinformation

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 04-05-2023, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d. finley View Post
All Computer Systems:
- 8GB RAM
- One or more hard disk drives dedicated for audio record and playback, formatted HFS+ Journaled for Mac or NTFS for Windows. For more information, see this article.

Avid says to use a dedicated audio and I always will so maybe you can can it with YOUR misinformation
This info from Avid is simply not correct for Apple Silicon computers. Hopefully, Avid will update the recommendation.
Old 04-05-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
All Computer Systems:
- 8GB RAM

Not the first time somebody found outdated information on Avid web site.

I say Darryl is right. Look, this is from the days of spinning harddisks with well below 100MB/s read/write speed, that's not relevant for most people today. With r/w speeds on SSDs ranging from a couple of hundred MB/s to several thousand, there is no need to have dedicated audio drives.
Old 04-05-2023, 04:01 PM

So much for trusting Avid!! I will continue to use a dedicated HD for audio and video.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 04-05-2023, 04:32 PM

Default How can i trust ProTools - why should i ever trust ProTools?

Quote:
So much for trusting Avid!! I will continue to use a dedicated HD for audio and video.

The only advantage of multiple drives is from an organisational POV or if you’re shuttling projects around between studios. Then it kind of makes sense. You will more than likely take a hit on RW speeds though. But it has not been necessary for throughput for many many years… way before the Apple Silicon Macs came out.

Also, note AVIDs specs say HFS+ format? That goes to show you how out of date that info is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2023, 05:51 PM

Avid and Digidesign pushed the separate HDD issue very hard for a long time back when computer/bus bandwidth was very limited. Keeping apps on one drive, video on another, samples on a 3rd, etc., made quite a lot of difference. When you think about physical drive heads needing to travel to all those physical locations on the platter to write and retrieve the data it makes sense in the brain that you'd want to alleviate the travel time as much as possible

That was so long ago, but Avid is slow to update their config recommendations to the world and even slower to release them in writing.

Separate drives aren't, and haven't been, necessary for quite some time. In fact, if you have a Mac Studio, its internal drive is probably several times faster than your external SSDs, so there's an argument to be made that keeping everything on the internal would actually be more ideal. I get about 520/sec from my external SSDs, which is quite fast for music production. I get 5,000/sec from my Mac Studio's drive. An enormous difference.

I still have separate, external drives for PT sessions and samples because I have 10+TB of samples and because I've had it configured that way for quite a while, but if I had the space I'd toss everything to the internal.
Old 04-05-2023, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Also, note AVIDs specs say HFS+ format?
Haha, I did spot that. For me it's APFS all the way.
Closed Thread