Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2020, 02:37 AM

Default Re: Studio Security Question

Do you mean if they phone home when it is safe to rob your place?
Old 07-18-2020, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
I walked into Wal-Mart [with a mask on, but then I always do that at Wax-Mart].

They had the following DIY systems in a cabinet:

Night Owl
Arlo
Merkury
Google Nest

They were anywhere from less than $100.00 all the way to about $400.00 for the Night Owl 1080 P Wireless Smart Security System [looks like it comes with a DVR].

Anybody know anything about those kind of systems?

MD
As I said before wireless is only for the data transmission; you still have to provide power to the cameras. Usually AC power.

QAPLA!
Old 07-18-2020, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
As I said before wireless is only for the data transmission; you still have to provide power to the cameras. Usually AC power.
Not sure what your point is. I'm just trying to see if anyone has used anything in particular and whether or not it worked right for them. Or it anyone has used a particular service [ADT, Brinks, whatever] and found them to be good and which is most reasonable. that type of thing.

you can use batteries, btw.

Most of this is going to be taken care of by boarding up the windows and putting iron rods on the doors and stuff like that.

MD
Old 07-18-2020, 06:15 AM

Default Re: Securiorrty

Quote:
What is the name of the company you use?

md
Its a custom made system for my house and my guesthouse and the 4 car garage etc and it is the police who controls the alarm system. No 3rd party sleepy aftershool hires that takes 10min+ to send the alarm to the proper respons team. We have way too much gear and build money invested to not have a really awesome system. All hardwired as wifi is essier to hack into so all hidden cables inside the walls and floors. I can check from anywhere in the world though and monitor all of it on the phone etc but as wifi is for monotoring only know it would be a lot of work to try and silence the signal which is sent to either police and or fire and rescue in an instance.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-18-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Thanks. What brand / model is the monitored alarm system?

MD
Useless info as it was a locally based company in Nashville. Every city will likely have similar companies. Just google "monitored alarm systems"(without the quotes) and see what pops up. Most can also work without a land line, but will charge a bit extra(less than keeping a land line if that's the only reason for it)

The camera/DVR package was by Samsung. It came with 2 cameras(but had 4 inputs) and I had cameras left over from a previous studio setup where I used cameras and screens so people in different rooms could see each other. The cameras were all powered via wall warts, which could be near the camera, or at the DVR location as the cables combined BNC for video and power extension(no problems with 100' of cable).

You could also look into wifi cameras for baby monitoring(and similar) that notify your smart phone is they sense motion, so you can view a live feed. The RING doorbell is similar, although it takes close to a full minute to get the app open, select the camera and actually see live video

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-18-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Not sure what your point is. I'm just trying to see if anyone has used anything in particular and whether or not it worked right for them. Or it anyone has used a particular service [ADT, Brinks, whatever] and found them to be good and which is most reasonable. that type of thing.

you can use batteries, btw.

Most of this is going to be taken care of by boarding up the windows and putting iron rods on the doors and stuff like that.

MD
The point is nothing is ever as simple as you would think. Just because a system is wireless doesn't mean no cabling is necessary. You may be able to use batteries for the cameras but that's going to get expensive real quick. Want a reliable system use ac power for the cameras. I've done enough with security systems to know a thing or two about how stuff works. There's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all approach.

I'm trying to give you things to look at rather than recommend a particular system so you can make up your own mind about what you really need specific to your situation. Sure you can buy something from Lowes or Home Depot but sooner or later you're going to need to buy extra parts to flesh out your setup.

If you're looking at a professionally installed system you can't go wrong with ADT or Brinks.

QAPLA!
Old 07-18-2020, 09:51 AM

I'd actually have two separate alarm system an audible one as well as a silent one that goes direct to the police or a central monitoring station. In the past I've had an audible system as well as a pager system (with no sound) on my vehicles. Scares the crap out of miscreants if for some reason the audible didn't go off but the page did and the wife and I come out with baseball bats

QAPLA!
Old 07-18-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I'd actually have two separate alarm system an audible one as well as a silent one that goes direct to the police or a central monitoring station. In the past I've had an audible system as well as a pager system (with no sound) on my vehicles. Scares the crap out of miscreants if for some reason the audible didn't go off but the page did and the wife and I come out with baseball bats
The wife has her own baseball bat, huh? That's pretty good. But you probably really want to come out with sawed-offs. Little more upper hand? : )

I don't know if I'm going to get into quite as much as some of what I am hearing about. But where I live is not an easy place to get in and out of with much stuff.

I know that lights and noise scare the crap out of them, and a simple recording setup to identify people is good. Then having some ability to get the authorities there quick would be good. We know the fire dept guys and they are just a few blocks away.

I guess I should get armed, but I am not too keen on having to engage robbers myself, really.

I can look into insurance, but I always thought it was super expensive.

MD

Last edited by mightyduck; 07-18-2020 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Securiorrty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Its a custom made system for my house and my guesthouse and the 4 car garage etc and it is the police who controls the alarm system. No 3rd party sleepy aftershool hires that takes 10min+ to send the alarm to the proper respons team. We have way too much gear and build money invested to not have a really awesome system. All hardwired as wifi is essier to hack into so all hidden cables inside the walls and floors. I can check from anywhere in the world though and monitor all of it on the phone etc but as wifi is for monotoring only know it would be a lot of work to try and silence the signal which is sent to either police and or fire and rescue in an instance.
Sounds like it has a pretty top-notch coffee maker. Blonde expresso? : )

MD
Old 07-19-2020, 03:44 AM

Quote:
The wife has her own baseball bat, huh? That's pretty good. But you probably really want to come out with sawed-offs. Little more upper hand? : )

I don't know if I'm going to get into quite as much as some of what I am hearing about. But where I live is not an easy place to get in and out of with much stuff.

I know that lights and noise scare the crap out of them, and a simple recording setup to identify people is good. Then having some ability to get the authorities there quick would be good. We know the fire dept guys and they are just a few blocks away.

I guess I should get armed, but I am not too keen on having to engage robbers myself, really.

I can look into insurance, but I always thought it was super expensive.

MD
I do have other means of defending myself & property that I really don't want to talk about other than to say the wife & I are NRA Life members and we'll leave it at that.

If you do want to get a firearm get lessons in how to handle the gun. They'll also teach you things on when to shoot or not shoot. The classes are worth it and may even be mandatory in California. Look at it this way - if a robber is coming at you with deadly intent (or any intent at all) you'd be better off having a weapon with you than wishing you had it while waiting for the police who will NOT show up in a timely manner. You don't necessarily need to use deadly force as something like mace/pepper spray and/or a TASER will do the job.

Insurance is going to be cheaper than having to replace your gear. Think of it this way: you do pay $30/year for iLook ZDT right? You also make regular clone backups of your system right? Those are cheap insurances for when things go wrong to get you back working.

QAPLA!