Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2012, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Can this be done with PT10? (Realistic Strings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Hey

I am NOT trying to be rude or meen by any standards but, I really think you need to get your hands on a Pro Tools video and a basic tutorial that covers all your questions regarding what is what. With all these questions I feel like there will only be more questions and making you all dizzy and confused. By the way you write in the posts I get the feeling you really need to get the basic recording down before you keep the questions upon questions coming. They cover so much more than just what VI you want to buy as you seem to have a limited understanding about recording DAW's and what the differences are in VI's, DAW's and so on. Go to youtube and start there as they have millions of pretty good videos on all your thoughts and questions.

I hope you take this the right way and not any other way
All the best
Chris
No, I appreciate that. However, I have been doing that. I have been watching dozens of videos in the past few months and reading too. However it's not the same. Meaning, when in a forum, I have the ability to ask a specific question which once answered will allow me to move on to the next item which that next item had that previous answer as a prerequisite. Both are necessary, forums and youtube and tutorials.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS-DK View Post
If you don't know anything about strings - like voicing and building an arrangement - it will never sound good. You should learn about this - if not - no library in the world will do the job.
+1
Old 11-29-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Hey

I am NOT trying to be rude or meen by any standards but, I really think you need to get your hands on a Pro Tools video and a basic tutorial that covers all your questions regarding what is what. With all these questions I feel like there will only be more questions and making you all dizzy and confused. By the way you write in the posts I get the feeling you really need to get the basic recording down before you keep the questions upon questions coming. They cover so much more than just what VI you want to buy as you seem to have a limited understanding about recording DAW's and what the differences are in VI's, DAW's and so on. Go to youtube and start there as they have millions of pretty good videos on all your thoughts and questions.

I hope you take this the right way and not any other way
All the best
Chris
Have to agree here. This is like an extension of another thread by the OP. He is asking for the best VI's and eager to spend money but probably needs to use some of that money on a few Groove 3 tutorials.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
Have to agree here. This is like an extension of another thread by the OP. He is asking for the best VI's and eager to spend money but probably needs to use some of that money on a few Groove 3 tutorials.
Even the last three words of your post above was knowledge for me. I had no idea that Groove3 has tutorials about these things.

Why dont you wizards tell me this:

If you were to start again from the beginning, when you knew nothing, where would you start and in which order? Meaning, first you'd go to point X and get this knowledge, then to point Y to get that, etc. The order is important. Cos that's my problem. I mean I watch videos on youtube and later I find out that I had to know a million other things in order to follow that video. I am sure you understand. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:05 PM

It really depends on your learning style, and available $$$$.

What is your ultimate goal with this knowledge?

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavriil1 View Post
Even the last three words of your post above was knowledge for me. I had no idea that Groove3 has tutorials about these things.

Why dont you wizards tell me this:

If you were to start again from the beginning, when you knew nothing, where would you start and in which order? Meaning, first you'd go to point X and get this knowledge, then to point Y to get that, etc. The order is important. Cos that's my problem. I mean I watch videos on youtube and later I find out that I had to know a million other things in order to follow that video. I am sure you understand. Thanks.
In all honesty I think that Pro Tools might be the wrong DAW to start out with as you stated "starting out from the beginning" sounds to me like you need to start out with something else and leave Pro Tools land and start by using something like FL Studio, Cubase, maybe even Garageband and re-visit Pro Tools in a year or two as people here have been using PT for a long time and still have not yet got it all covered (like me) and by the way you write your questions I really would start with something more basic and easier to use for now. Look into all the tutorials there is and come back to PT when you master the basic DAW's and Plugins you want as this feels all wrong from reading your posts.

I wish you all the best and I hope you are not insulted but someone had to say it
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-30-2012, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavriil1 View Post
According to this video comparo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO2FE...eature=related

LA Scoring Strings is a better value than Hollywood Strings.

Does LA Scoring work OK with PT10?
LASS and Hollywood Strings are basically the same price, depending on who's running a sale. EWQL runs a sale every 30 seconds, Audiobro (LASS) less often.
LA Scoring Strings use the Kontakt engine, so yes...they work fine in PT10.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:
In all honesty I think that Pro Tools might be the wrong DAW to start out with as you stated "starting out from the beginning" sounds to me like you need to start out with something else and leave Pro Tools land and start by using something like FL Studio, Cubase, maybe even Garageband and re-visit Pro Tools in a year or two as people here have been using PT for a long time and still have not yet got it all covered (like me) and by the way you write your questions I really would start with something more basic and easier to use for now. Look into all the tutorials there is and come back to PT when you master the basic DAW's and Plugins you want as this feels all wrong from reading your posts.

I wish you all the best and I hope you are not insulted but someone had to say it
Chris
Pro Tools was my first DAW, and I am still learning things all the time. I periodically go back through the manual...ahem...yeah the manual... and re read. Things always jump out that I missed before.

I'm glad I started and stayed in PT bc I didn't have to unlearn any old habits etc...

Pro Tools | latest
Mac Mini Server | OSX | Current
16GB Ram | SSHD
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt
Old 11-30-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:

Chris
I disagree. If you want to make money at some point, you're going to need to know pro tools. Using pro tools at a basic level is not that hard, and it's not uncommon for beginners to want to dive into the deep end right away.

My suggestion to gavril, based on the assumption that you are just starting out, is to start with a minimal investment first to learn the tools. Once you buy hollywood strings (or pretty much any other sample library) you cant legally re-sell it, so I would suggest starting with a cheaper library. None of these libraries automatically create a believable score,there are a lot of skills related to arrangement, midi programming, etc. that you will need to get good at. I would suggest starting with a library like Ik multimedia's philharmonik, or ewqlso to learn the skills needed to get a believable sound. You can still get professional results from these if you know what you are doing, the main difference is they don't have as many articulations. But learn these first, because everything you do with them will be useful when you reach the point where you're ready for a more expensive library.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:37 AM

Have you considered actually enrolling in some kind of media composition or recording/production program?

Darryl Ramm