Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2012, 11:41 AM

Default TL SPACE = Unreliable?

Hi all,

I've pretty much grown exasperated with TL Space (RTAS). Even with only "Snapshot" enabled in the automation window, I still find that certain snapshots do not retain information...sometimes it's the delay times, sometimes, the EQ, sometimes the decay, sometimes the levels. The TL Spaces are all on reverb send tracks from the raw audio.

I've come across this issue occasionally over the past couple years, and it's come up again. Basically I finished a mix last summer...just opened the reels again today to make new prints for a client swapping in new music, etc., and certain settings are just not the same. I've been re-importing session data from old sessions, comparing, and deleting the current reverb bus, and this resolved the issue, but I hate having to have this on my mind. Does anyone else have issues with TL Space being about 80% functional in terms of retaining information? Is Altiverb more reliable for everyone here?
Old 02-20-2012, 02:36 PM

Default Re: TL SPACE = Unreliable?

I've had issues with TL Space not retaining it's presets properly as well so in the past I've run an extra stem for reverbs for each flavor, which of course it a pain, but necessary.

I don't have Altiverb personally, but supposedly the new version takes care of a bunch of the automation issues they were having.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:56 PM

If you search my old posts, you'll read about my experiences making Altiverb 6 nearly 100% reliable for automation. Basically, I only automate the snapshots and nothing else, and it works well (you can even change the IR). Automating everything in Altiverb 6 and using "write-to-all" commands can cause a memory leak due to the redundant info.

So far Lexicon Total Bundle is automating as I expect it to. TL|Space never worked for me with automation. Haven't tried Altiverb 7 yet.

Good luck.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:20 AM

I had automation issues with TL Space when I tried to use it years ago (Native and TDM version). I went to Altiverb and couldn't be happier. Yes, in Altiverb 6 you have to be careful with some automation issues. I mainly used snapshots, but also automated EQ, dampin etc. within the plugin sometimes. The main issue for me was that Altiverb 6 would overwrite its own automation in latch if you didn't "safe" mode the track. And secondly you have to be careful keeping the same IRs on all systems you use Altiverb.
I just did a film with Altiverb 7 in PT10 and that has been working great. No more overwriting and 7 keeps track of its own IRs and updates when necessary. I also automated parameters within the plugin.

Greetings,

Thierry
Old 02-21-2012, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidub View Post
Hi all,

I've come across this issue occasionally over the past couple years, and it's come up again. Basically I finished a mix last summer...just opened the reels again today to make new prints for a client swapping in new music, etc., and certain settings are just not the same. I've been re-importing session data from old sessions, comparing, and deleting the current reverb bus, and this resolved the issue, but I hate having to have this on my mind. Does anyone else have issues with TL Space being about 80% functional in terms of retaining information? Is Altiverb more reliable for everyone here?
I've had exactly these issues and solved them the same way. Like you say, it was always a worry and the first thing you checked when you started up the session each day. I brought Altiverb 6 instead (snapshot automation only due to its own issues , haven't upgraded to v7 yet) and have used that or algorithmic verb since. I've a series 2 coming up and the original was all TL Space so I'm unsure whether to stick or rework...
Old 02-21-2012, 07:58 AM

Printing reverb stems is a good idea, I may start doing that.

I haven't been able to pin down a specific reason as to why certain snapshots lose automation. Seems random, which makes it all the more frustrating.

Too bad this keeps happening...I was hoping version 9 would have resolved this issue.

Is Altiverb similar to TL Space in terms of CPU load? I'm going to start looking into it. If version 7 is reliable, then maybe this is a case of you get what you pay for...
Old 02-22-2012, 12:33 AM
The Cargo Cult

for your own sanity I'm gonna warn you that AV7 is pretty flakey right now.
nuff said
Old 02-22-2012, 08:14 AM

Today, the safest way is to print a reverb stem.
Although I have very little problem with TL Space, I always double-check things.