How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 12:25 AM

Default ECx Wireless connection

Hello DUC,

I just started using a D-show Profile as FOH,(great board by the way easy learnig curve etc....'Great Success..') and tried to use the wireless capabilities of the console. I did not buy an "approved" wireless router though, I tried using one that I had already available web page . While setting IP addresses for both systems D-show and Laptop either way successfully (static or dynamic) I couldn't get them to communicate. Utravnc software returned a fail to establish connection error after attempting to connect for quite a while(a few seconds). Surely I'm "missing" something.Is it possible let's say, that a port forwarding rule must be set for the router to allow traffic to pass through to the d-show? Could there be a "magic word" I have to say? hehe Any insight would be helpful. Thank you

truly
Dimitris
Old 05-15-2007, 09:31 AM
Avid

Default Re: ECx Wireless connection

Hi Dimitris ,

Glad to hear you're enjoying the console. There are no port forwarding requirements or "magic words" needed (other than the default password, which is "password"). You'll be prompted for the password once a connection is made to the console - which isn't yet happening, according to your description.

Here are a few things to try:
- verify the console's Ethernet port is active. Most routers have an LED on the Ethernet port that lights up when the connection is working. If it's not...
- verify the ECx card is connected internally (there's a short Ethernet cable that connects to the rear of the card)
- disable the firewall on the wireless router, if enabled
- disable the firewall on the laptop, if enabled
- try a full reset of the router to factory default settings
- follow the instruction in the ECx Option Guide to the letter (including suggested IP addresses, if you choose the Static IP addressing option)
- try another Ethernet router
- try connecting a laptop directly to the console using an Ethernet crossover cable. You must configure both the console and the laptop for static IP addressing in order for this to work.

Sheldon
Old 05-15-2007, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the reply and suggestions Sheldon.
Here are some answers to your suggestions:

-the port light come up on the router connected to the ECx card
-the card must be connected internally, because the console got an IP dynamically from the router's DHCP function
-There is no firewall on the Router (or I couldn't find it it's setup pages)
-I'll try disabling the laptops firewall
-tried a full reset of the router
-using the suggested IP addresses in the manual requires me to change the routers default address. I thought of doing it but then thought it must be irrelevant since the console can be assigned an IP through DHCP. should I give it a try? Do you think it might prefer the IP address 10.0.0.1 over 192.168.123.100 let's say?
-I'll probably be buying the Belkin Pre-n router if nothing else works.
-the laptop communicates with the Profile when connected directly.

Looking @ the description of the router it says: "The Tornado 140 is a versatile Wireless 802.11g Access Point, a Broadband Router (Cable or ADSL), a 4-ports Ethernet switch and a Firewall in one product." When connecting the console to a WAP a crossover cable is needed, as stated in the ECx manual when connected to a router a regular cat5 ethernet cable can be used. I'm gonna try the router with a crossover cable to see what happens and I'll post my results. I didn't have one available last night. Showtime is 23:30 tonight so I'm gonna be trying it in a while. have to go it's already 21:30.

thank you for your support

Dimtiris
Old 05-28-2007, 02:23 PM

I still haven't tried the alternatives with the crossover cables and the router(or wap ...) in question. It should be done within the week. We have 5 days a week 6 1/2 hr performances plus studio work so time is very limited. I'll post my findings once I get to it.

Dimitri.