Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2015, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Upgrade from PT11 to PT12 Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
I'll actually give that one to you Bill... (though you made a good point - you pretty much missed the point as well)

Maybe not the terms (in a legal sense) - but for sure what I have come to expect after 15 years of ownership has certainly changed! For sure the equity - resale value and transferability is certainly changing - for sure the company direction and ongoing costs are changing.... but

Regardless... you highlight the pointlessness of my continuing to post about what has already been said in a million different ways - like the Super Bowl (from a Seattle area guys POV) - its just frustration at things that I have extremely little or no power to change.

Time for a new leaf - time to concentrate on why I own and care about all this stuff - and let all this -- go...
Your not the only one:

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...not-be-up.html

And that is just the tip.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables
Old 02-06-2015, 09:23 AM

Sorry for one more question in the middle of it all...
I have Pro Tools 11, what happens if I buy the US$199,99 annual plan once and do not renew it:

a) My license will stop upgrading but will continue to work;
b) My license will stop upgrading and working;

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felipeeler View Post
My license will stop upgrading but will continue to work;

This happens
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:01 AM

They've said your license will stop upgrading, will continue to work and will continue to get bug-fix updates, just not additional new features.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
They've said your license will stop upgrading, will continue to work and will continue to get bug-fix updates, just not additional new features.
Ok this makes some sense.... (didn't say I liked it) but what EXACTLY does "no additional new features" imply? In other words, let's say I pony up for a PT HD 12 update plan for $599 or whatever it's going to cost for HD before 2015's end... and then I let it lapse over the next year+ time after that.... does that mean that I'll definitely still always have access to maintenance updates. i.e. 12.1, 12.1.1, 12.2, etc...until Avid stops providing bug fix updates for v 12, and simply just won't get access to a major update version. i.e. PT HD 13, etc without repurchasing the software outright?? This is of course assuming that "new features" only come in major pre-decimal place number updates, i.e. from version 12 to 13.

With Avid's new subscription/update plan... i get the feeling that new features might not just be relegated to major version updates but instead could appear in what we're calling "bug fix" updates too. Kind of like when elastic audio was introduced in mid PT7 life cycle.....

Why can't Avid meet in the middle with this stuff and do like what Waves has done with WUP? You buy a window of update access for a year... but when you need it. Your Waves licenses don't lock or expire or anything. You just buy the update plan when you have a need to update. So simple. Makes sense to me and I feel fine funding their software development rather than feeling like I'm entitled to everything they ever release forever because I bought Renaissance Compressor back in 2005....

But what Avid's doing just feels really extreme and doesn't seem like it'll build loyalty amongst their non-corporate or "major clientele" base. Sell to the masses, eat with the classes... but hey, maybe they're in a dire position and this is the gamble they're willing to take in order to stay afloat. Just don't really get it otherwise...
Pro Tools|Ultimate 2023.12
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O 16x16 Analog
Old 02-06-2015, 06:17 PM

There are TWO different plans. One is a support and update plan, the other is a subscription plan.

The new features are supposed to be implemented over time rather than releasing a bunch of them at once every few years like they have in the past.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:27 PM

I get that, but ostensibly in 1.5 years I'll have to pay something like $1K to buy PT HD 12.x in order to have track freeze, for instance? Ouch.

Welp, you need an oil change... But you're gonna have to buy a new car in order to get it.
Pro Tools|Ultimate 2023.12
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O 16x16 Analog
Old 02-06-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverH View Post
Ok this makes some sense.... (didn't say I liked it) but what EXACTLY does "no additional new features" imply? In other words, let's say I pony up for a PT HD 12 update plan for $599 or whatever it's going to cost for HD before 2015's end... and then I let it lapse over the next year+ time after that.... does that mean that I'll definitely still always have access to maintenance updates. i.e. 12.1, 12.1.1, 12.2, etc...until Avid stops providing bug fix updates for v 12, and simply just won't get access to a major update version. i.e. PT HD 13, etc without repurchasing the software outright?? This is of course assuming that "new features" only come in major pre-decimal place number updates, i.e. from version 12 to 13.

But what Avid's doing just feels really extreme and doesn't seem like it'll build loyalty amongst their non-corporate or "major clientele" base. Sell to the masses, eat with the classes... but hey, maybe they're in a dire position and this is the gamble they're willing to take in order to stay afloat. Just don't really get it otherwise...
No. Not according to their License FAQ. Let's say you do an annual plan on a perpetual license. And this pertains to a perpetual license.
If your annual subscription lapses, then your license will work with the last version before your annal subscription expired and wasn't renewed.

So, say it was 12.1.7. And the next week they release 12.1.8. You will not be able to get any updates after 12.1.7. In other words, your perpetual license is froze at 12.1.7 forever. You cannot get back onto an annual plan with that license and you can't EVER upgrade that license either.

You would have to buy a new license or get a monthly subscription. With the subscription, if that lapses, you can't use pro tools anymore.
Currently a new PT vanilla license is 899. No word on what the HD perpetual license cost will be or if AVID will even offer it.

So yeah, they are pretty much sticking it to you.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
Avid Artist Control
Old 02-06-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
With the subscription, if that lapses, you can't use pro tools anymore.
Don't think this is necessarily true. When your "Support Plan" lapses (as you said), you can start the "Rental Plan" (you called it the "Subscription"). In this case you (I suspect) would NOT be required to surrender your old (frozen in time) license to "Rent" the current one (Since anyone can RENT the current version license anytime). SO in theory (perhaps with a few hoops) you could revert to your old (perpetual) version license anytime.

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 02-06-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Don't think this is necessarily true. When your "Support Plan" lapses (as you said), you can start the "Rental Plan" (you called it the "Subscription"). In this case you (I suspect) would NOT be required to surrender your old (frozen in time) license to "Rent" the current one (Since anyone can RENT the current version license anytime). SO in theory (perhaps with a few hoops) you could revert to your old (perpetual) version license anytime.
true. But what if you perp license has a bug that you can't update. You get a subscription to fix that bug, that lapses, you can't use that version anymore as it is a cloud based license.

If you don't have a perp license, then what? What if you are where there is no internet?
Your internet goes out?

Well, i guess the bigger users will have perp licenses. Even still, if your perp license lapses you are stuck forever.

Not very attractive.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
Avid Artist Control