Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Corrupt fades on importing session data

This Issue I'm having is pretty complex but I'll try my best to explain.
Protools 6.7 and 6.9 on g5 dual 2ghz HD3
Sessions are created on 2nd internal SATA
When Cutting for a Film I edit all of my FX and BG's for all the reels in one session. If you care why it's easier for me to cut locations in bg's from reel to reel and makes my rebalnces a hell of a lot easier.
That said when I'm ready to break out my reels for dubbing, I save as many sessions as there are reels, and delete the un-used reels out of each session. Since all of my audio and fade files live in one folder each I then import session data copying all media to another drive sometimes scsi for MMP's and other times firewire.

The Problem happens during importing sessions. I get logical end of file errors, and when I look at my files In the session where I've drawn all of my cross fades there will be a 1 or 2 foot space and with a crossfade into nothin. In other words the file will be cut off there will be blank space, and then a crossfade on the beginning of the file. I wish i could attach a picture.

i've tried everything from throwing away my databases to re-intalling my OS

The other problem I've encountered is that protools will replace files with random files not caring about unique identifiers or length of file. It replaced over half of my background files with a random cricket file, and when i thru the cricket file away it used another random file. The way I've corrected this problem is by working in one Audio Files folder so that it wouldn't see the same file repeated in different sessions and audio file folders.

by the way this issue has been re-created at my home studio and Universal Studios and by 3 other editors I work with.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Corrupt fades on importing session data

i had a similar problem both on a session and when i imported from that session (copying to a new location). what i ended up having to do was delete ALL my fades, both in the folder and in the session itself. and then re-apply all my fades. suct, yes. and you may have a ton of them. try it on one session to see if that works...hope it does!
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 06-21-2005, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the reply I have found a work around which sucks a little less than that one if it happens to you again.
Open the session in OS 9 and all will be well, but i dont always have that option.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:23 PM

This is a good issue to bring up and as been a part of Pro Tools for a long time. Editing isn't my main job, but I become an editor on the dub stage as I operated the systems I use on the stage for mixing. I've had this happen to me and I think I got around it by not selecting everything and deleting it (with the Delete key), but by "Removing" the regions from the session with "Shift/Cmd/B". I'm not sure, but it seems that when you "Delete" things, the fades can go away that other sessions are referencing to. I haven't done this in a while but I would be curious to find out if "Removing" the regions instead of "Deleting" them makes a difference for you.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:28 PM

im sorry I didn't mention it but i do remove all of the unused regions when i break my sessions up before i create a new session and import session data.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:28 PM

that does suck less than my fix...never thought of that. good thing i still have os9 in studio b...but not for long...then i am back to sucking more if it happens to me again. pnly happened to me once. in 6.7 i think, hasn't happened in 6.9 curious to know if filmixer's technique works.
Undertone on Facebook

-Starcrash
Old 06-21-2005, 03:31 PM

Im wondering if it has to do with the size of my session and the file count. How large was your session when this happened
Old 06-21-2005, 03:40 PM

pretty big file, maybe 75-80 tracks. lots of edits, lots of bussing and auxes. 5.1 . but it was only a few that were problematic. there were teeny tiny, wee little guys between my fades. and if i deleted thise, it wasn't enough. i still had to clear out the tohers. the file was 14 minutes long.
Undertone on Facebook

-Starcrash
Old 06-21-2005, 05:26 PM

cool im running a 8 hour session with files 2100 feet of material at each hour and just over 150 channels with the movies tied by quicktime pro. Oh yah why can we only bring one movie into protools at a time...and as long as im complaining sorry digi where's our bins and last but not least being able to open multiple sessions like 'other un-named software' we could probably avoid a lot of these problems...ok im thru now...again my appologies
Old 06-21-2005, 08:45 PM

>i do remove all of the unused regions when i break my sessions up<

Just to be clear, I didn't mean "Remove Unused Regions" from the Regions list. What I mean is when you're isolating say, Reel 2, and you select all the Reel 1 material in the Edit Window, with the "Region List Selection Follows Track Selection" preference enabled (and Reel 3 onward after that), do you use the "delete" key to clear it or do you "Remove" the selected files from the session in the Shift/Cmd/B dialog box?