How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2018, 10:28 AM

Default Focusrite sacarlett 1820 Protools 12,5

Hey fellas
Can anybody tell me about the compatibility of focusrite scarlett 1820 USB and protools 12.5?
I'm currently using a m audio project mix and planing for to upgrade for something more of our time.
Is there any know issue about this interface?And the USB conection is it faster than m audio firewire?
Must i have to look for other firewire interface?
Windows 10 here.
Thanx for any input!!
Old 05-22-2018, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Focusrite sacarlett 1820 Protools 12,5

Focusrite drivers are not the best on Windows. Experiences mentioned on the forum are fine to nothing but issues. Focusrite interfaces are nice, and inexpensive. Some of the best drivers are written by RME, but their interfaces are not inexpensive.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 05-22-2018, 12:49 PM

Before I switched to an iMac this year, I went from the ProjectMix I/O to the Liquid Saffire to now the Scarlett 18i20 while using Windows 7. The Scarlett line of interfaces are class compliant devices, therefore there are no drivers. You will only need to install the latest version of Focusrite Control in order to setup your routing. I didn't have any issues with the interface, my problem was just running on a 12+ year old computer with USB 2.0, but it did behave a lot better than the Liquid Saffire and the ProjectMix.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyda KB View Post
Before I switched to an iMac this year, I went from the ProjectMix I/O to the Liquid Saffire to now the Scarlett 18i20 while using Windows 7. The Scarlett line of interfaces are class compliant devices, therefore there are no drivers. You will only need to install the latest version of Focusrite Control in order to setup your routing. I didn't have any issues with the interface, my problem was just running on a 12+ year old computer with USB 2.0, but it did behave a lot better than the Liquid Saffire and the ProjectMix.
This is really what i want to know.Thank you so much Spyda and thanx for The Weed for the kindly response.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:53 PM

I used a Scarlett 18i20 on my Windows 10 Laptop with Protools 12.5 before upgrading to my Clarett 8Pre and Protools 2018.x

It worked fine. One of the most stable setups I've ever used. But my laptop is also a powerhouse (see my signature).

If the stock drivers don't work, Focusrite has a set of beta drivers that seems to fix a few problems early on (but that was way back on Protools 11 several years ago now).

If you are buying new, you might look at the Clarett 8Pre USB, which uses USB-C and is compatible with USB 2.0/3.0 with the USB-A connectors. They seem to be much more stable than the Scarlett series were even.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 05-22-2018, 06:23 PM

Thank you JC Bigler gonna check clarett out!I really apreciate!
Old 06-19-2018, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Hey Spyda

I'm running scarlett 18i20 now and had experiencing some trouble after open a project and it seems freezed and appear a message as follow "protools can not initialize usb focusrite driver".Sometimes a reboot make everything run ok,sometimes not.At this moment its freezed after a fine session yesterday.
Are you familiarized with this?
Any input will be apreciated!!

Thanx
Old 06-20-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackers View Post
Hey Spyda

I'm running scarlett 18i20 now and had experiencing some trouble after open a project and it seems freezed and appear a message as follow "protools can not initialize usb focusrite driver".Sometimes a reboot make everything run ok,sometimes not.At this moment its freezed after a fine session yesterday.
Are you familiarized with this?
Any input will be apreciated!!

Thanx
I don't recall having that issue. However, I did have a weird instance when PT would not see my device all of a sudden. I wound up starting PT with the N key depressed which forced to the software to detect the interface. No problems since. You can try that to see if it clears your problem. Have you also tried removing all previous unused audio drivers including Focusrite Control software, reboot and reinstall the Focusrite software?
Old 06-21-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I don't recall having that issue. However, I did have a weird instance when PT would not see my device all of a sudden. I wound up starting PT with the N key depressed which forced to the software to detect the interface. No problems since. You can try that to see if it clears your problem. Have you also tried removing all previous unused audio drivers including Focusrite Control software, reboot and reinstall the Focusrite software?
Yeah i had tried it but i'll do it once more.It's the same issue you described,focusrite offers a way to solve the problem by instaling asio4all driver start PT and choose asio4all as the driver to help PT to find the driver then close the the app and start again with focus asio.Some time ir work as a charm sometimes not.Gonna keep on trying.
Thanx for your suport Spyka!