Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2011, 11:15 PM

Default Re: digital mixer with pro tools (dm3200 /dm4800)

I just want to chime in and say that I have run my studio for the past 5-6 years on a DM-3200 with a 192 Digital using the TDIF connections and it has been one of the best purchases I ever made for my mid-budget studio. I have been running my business full time on the board for the 5 years and it finally needed some repair this last year from worn out buttons that I use a lot (talk back to Studio Button and Layers buttons). It only cost me a couple hundred to fix those buttons and it is up and running great again.

The DM3200 is a steal. It looks and feels impressive (especially in an Argosy Desk) and the Pre's have worked great when I have used them. The control surface is almost everything I would ever need. I do wish I could control plug-in parameters at times, but that only came with the Digi control surfaces. I love using it to create separate monitor/headphone mix in my studio.

I recently purchased a Lynx Aurora 16 and I still think the DM-3200 converters are quite decent. I also did some mic shootouts a couple years ago between my DM3200 and Vintech 473 and ADL 600 and in many cases, people preferred the DM3200's Pre's.

I'm not saying the board is better than the other mentioned gear, but it is much better than you would probably think it is. Considering it is about the same price as a Vintech 473 or an Aurora 16, it is quite impressive. I am a very happy customer and I'm glad I purchased one when I did. Again, I think it is the best Value I have ever got from my money....except for when Burger King Whoppers were only $1.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 04-21-2011, 12:20 AM

Wink Re: digital mixer with pro tools (dm3200 /dm4800)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
I have owned a DM-3200 for 4 or five years now. It's really nice and it works great with ProTools.
I used it with the firewire card with PT9 from the day PT9 came out up until I upgraded to HD. I wrote the instructions for how to use the DM series with ProTools. If you search my name here or over on tascamforums.com you can find them.
Right now, I'm using the DM-3200 with PT9 HD. I have a 192 Digital that gives me 16 channels of TDIF and a 192io for my analog inputs and SPIDF into a VRM box.
The system works great. The 3200 is a great controller, it has decent pres (no character but they're clean and fine for most things), the effects are really nice (TC Electronic) and the routing and ins/outs are plentiful.
I have my monitors hooked up to the DM-3200. The only complaint I have about it is that you can only hookup one set of monitors (with the DM-4800 you can have three (IIRC)).
The transport controls work, the faders feel nice and it stores a lot of different setups. I have templates for DP7, Final Cut and PT HD in there. I think I still have a setting for a pair of DA-88s as well. You just load up what you need - it's great.
All in all I would recommend it to anyone who wanted some good, clean pres, a control surface and MIDI interface (it gives you a 2x2) for a fair price. The TC effects are just a bonus, as I usually use my Lexicon bundle.
YO, good to see the Tascam love flowing, and happy to see some clarification from Albee about his Dis . Noah you and I are running very similar rigs. I've recently upgraded to the DM4800 from a 3200 mostly for the extra control surface faders... Now 24 wide. But since I also need to monitor our episode mix stems in 5.1, LTRT and various stereo and mono fold downs, I added another TDIF cable for 8 more from my Digital 192 AND 8 more via ADAT, so now I have 24 i/0 for my PT HD Rig. On the Win7 PT 9 side I set up the Firewire for the 16 i/o instead of 32, but I may turn those other 16 on in the future. Just being conservative if you could call it that with my current setup and I havn't described what else I have going on with this swiss army knife of audio.
These desks are huge bang for the buck, and I got many trouble free years of use from my 3200, which is now crated up and waiting for a new home. BTW none other than D. Lanois and his partner used the Tascam along with other High end ( Neve ) gear on the most recent Neil Young record. Written about in SOS mag few issues back. Those are pretty golden ear-tone meisters in most peoples books so you don't even have to take this TV sluts word

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 04-21-2011, 12:28 AM

One other thing I forgot to mention...the DM4800 does allow for two sets of monitors...Small and Large with seperate volume controls AND if you are running the Surround card option like I do you'd have your third for various stems. I'm just running the Large stereo outs to BlueSky MediaDesk 2.1s and the Surround side to Dynaudio bm5a's for L/R With the other 5.1 components: Infiniti Center, Hafler LS/RS and KRK 10" sub... A cherry picked, array if ever there was.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Old 04-21-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
I have owned a DM-3200 for 4 or five years now. It's really nice and it works great with ProTools.

I used it with the firewire card with PT9 from the day PT9 came out up until I upgraded to HD. I wrote the instructions for how to use the DM series with ProTools. If you search my name here or over on tascamforums.com you can find them.

Right now, I'm using the DM-3200 with PT9 HD. I have a 192 Digital that gives me 16 channels of TDIF and a 192io for my analog inputs and SPIDF into a VRM box.

The system works great. The 3200 is a great controller, it has decent pres (no character but they're clean and fine for most things), the effects are really nice (TC Electronic) and the routing and ins/outs are plentiful.

I have my monitors hooked up to the DM-3200. The only complaint I have about it is that you can only hookup one set of monitors (with the DM-4800 you can have three (IIRC)).

The transport controls work, the faders feel nice and it stores a lot of different setups. I have templates for DP7, Final Cut and PT HD in there. I think I still have a setting for a pair of DA-88s as well. You just load up what you need - it's great.

All in all I would recommend it to anyone who wanted some good, clean pres, a control surface and MIDI interface (it gives you a 2x2) for a fair price. The TC effects are just a bonus, as I usually use my Lexicon bundle.
do you have IF-FW/DM mkII ?
Old 04-21-2011, 04:20 PM

... the DM4800 does allow for two sets of monitors...Small and Large ...

Well, I guess that's totally a deal-breaker for me; I only have two sets of large monitors and I can't quite afford a set of small ones right now...

(Sorry, man...I just couldn't resist, but even though I saw your post this morning I did manage to wait all day before replying...)
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 04-22-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
... the DM4800 does allow for two sets of monitors...Small and Large ...

Well, I guess that's totally a deal-breaker for me; I only have two sets of large monitors and I can't quite afford a set of small ones right now...

(Sorry, man...I just couldn't resist, but even though I saw your post this morning I did manage to wait all day before replying...)
You're right to call that one out... Even RTFM didn't define how small is small and how large is large . I'm assuming something like auratones or the like qualify as "small" and anything above that category as "large". I'll have to run that by the gang over at the Tascam forum and see if anyone has it configed like that and with what.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Old 04-27-2011, 11:36 AM

I currently own the older DM-24 and was considering the upgrade...Tascam has refused to fix in their design of the boards is the LCD issue - the same one that has plagued the DM-24. The screen failure has been consistent across models and varies across different timeframes. My DM-24 didn't have this problem until recently after 7 years of use.

Just something to think about when considering Tascam digital boards otherwise, I would agree that the boards are very flexible and really a beast despite the very average pres.

- KB
Old 04-27-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioDuendeTeam View Post
do you have IF-FW/DM mkII ?
I do but I don't use it. I used it with PT9 Native and DP before I went HD 9.

I'll sell it to you if you need one.

No problems with my display but some guy over on tascamforums sells a VGA kit for the DM-3200 and 4200 so if mine goes that's what I'll do. I think he has one for the DM-24 as well you may want to check it out.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:16 PM

TO NOAH330
Hope you could help me with somethingi recently read ur posts concerning tascam dm 3200 with pro tools 9...i'm trying to work on what u said but it's not working..maybe u could help me with few things:
1-do i have to connect it using the firewire port as well as usb?because i didn't try connecting the firewire yet.
2- you said in ur post "in audio midi setup create"...where is the audio midi setup?i couldn't find it anywhere
3-i donno if it's because what im doing is wrong,but on the tascam,everytime i try to check the TRA box..it gives me that it is not active..what is that about?

i would really appreciate it if you could help me,my email is [email protected]

Thanks a million!
Old 12-27-2011, 01:35 PM

agreed.. Tonepad.. the DM's 32 and 48 are great products.. I'm very pleased with the work i've been able to complete since 2008..

I did however post a question about your sucess with the DM as a control surface.. in Cubase i'm able to get the screens to "chase" what ever track i touch on the DM.. and the mixer screen moves to that track.. how can i get PRO TOOLS to do the same? At this time if i have a large project and tab the DM control surface layers to a track down the line. and touch the fader.. PRO TOOLS screen stays we i last left it.. is there any way to have it JUMP to the track that i select? thanks for any help.. peace.