Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2004, 10:15 AM

Default Does this G5 config make sense?

I am thinking about buying a G5. What do you think the difference in performance would be for PTLE between the 1.6 single with 512K RAM versus a Dual 2.0 with 8GB of RAM. Can all that RAM be put to good use or is it a waste of money. What is the performance aspect of higher RAM amounts? Do you get more RTAS plug-ins per session? Just wondering if someone knew the answer to this.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Does this G5 config make sense?

8GB would seem to be overkill to me. Though in about another 5 years, with the way technology is evolving, that'll probably be the minimum standard.

RAM won't give you more plug-ins (only more CPU processing power will), but it will improve your overall performance/stability up to a point. Of course, you may only need 1 or 2 GB to do that-- depends on what other software you're planning on running in conjuction with PT (other apps using ReWire).

The only way I could see you using that much RAM right now is if you were using a RAM-based sample playback app of some kind and wanted to load a giant sample library.

I would definitely recommend more than 512 for any machine running PT on OSX. Obviously, the dual 2.0 with 512 or 8GB will be faster/more powerful than the 1.6 either way.
---
c
Old 02-18-2004, 12:52 PM

Default how about this?

so i guess higher RAM doesn't benefit me as far as plug-ins are concerned. what can i do to get a higher plug-in count? if i got a G5 dual 2.0 at 512K would that give me considerably higher performance as far as plug-ins go if i am currently just running a 800mhz imac with 1GB of RAM? obviously the G5 dual 2.0 is leaps and bounds faster and more powerful than my 800mhz imac, but will the plug-in count rise that substantially? if i really want a higher plug-in count should i just go to a HD3 Accel system or something? my current set-up is completely stable and gives me no real problems except that i can't use more than 3 to 4 plug-in's per session at best. otherwise, my 002 system runs great. let me know what you think.

thanks,
david
Old 02-18-2004, 01:30 PM

Default Re: how about this?

Getting a more powerful computer (such as the G5) or a TDM system would be the best way to run more plugs-- it pretty much depends on which plugs and how many plugs you're talking about. Some plug-ins are far more processor hungry than others.

The dual 2.0 would be a fairly significant increase in power over your iMac-- whether it meets the level of performance that you're looking for I couldn't say. My guess is that at a minimum you'd get about 3 to 4 times the plug-in count you get now. If you're looking for more than that, a TDM system may be your thing if you can afford it. Also note, faster G5's are on their way in the near future too, so host-based performance will continue to increase if you can wait.

There have been a few threads around here with G5 owners running DaveC tests, which while not a example of "Real World" performance, allow you to gauge the power/performance of a machine compared to others. Do a search for "G5, DaveC" and see what comes up.
---
c
Old 02-19-2004, 12:04 PM

Default will this work?

So would a G5 dual 2.0 with 2.0GB of RAM work well? I shouldn't need anymore RAM than that right? More RAM than that probably won't benefit me if all I'm using my system for is live recording and mix-down right? My plug-in count will be higher because I have a faster and more powerful processor (not because of more RAM).

David
Old 02-19-2004, 03:12 PM

Default Re: will this work?

Personally, I have experienced a much better ride with 4GBs compared to 2.5GBs. Plugs seem the same but the system seems more responsive with the 4GBs. I am going to kick it up to 8GBs but that is due to the video and Photoshop work I do. I am very happy with Pro Tools and 4GB. I suggest going for at least 2 GBs and you should be fine. As a rule, the more the better when it comes to RAM.