Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2007, 04:08 AM

Default New functions, making Pro Tools an even better DAW!

As you all know, Logic 8 is out and Apple looked carefully at Pro Tools with implementing (copying) new functions and even taking some to the next level. But it is also lacking in many other places.

Now In my humble opinion Pro Tools has a much more consistent workflow due to two great main windows and a very consistent philosophy. Though without a doubt both programs have their pros and cons, there are functions from Logic i would like to see in PT (and even more Logic users probably vice versa but that's for a Logic Forum). But i'd also like to see other functions that don't exist yet.

I don't want to start a Logic vs PT debate here, which is as useless as discussing which colour is nicer. It's all very subjective. Though you can have a constructive discussion on how functions and workflowin PT can improve and which functions we would like to see added. All of course with only one goal, to show Digidesign how to make PT an even better, more inspiring and complete program for composing, recording and mixing. Digi is definitely innovating as can be seen from the new Elastic Time function that is absolutely fueling inspiration and production.

Even though Christmas is behind us, here i want to present my wishlist for new Pro Tools functions in 2008.
[*]Make selections snap to transients on the fly with the selection tool. In PT it could be like snapping to analysis markers. Tab to Transient in PT is great but Logic 8 has taken it a little further.
[*]Showing multiple automation graphs below each other and maybe even selectable per kind and per plugin.
[*]Being able to see all takes from a loop recording underneath each other. A little triangle in a loop recording region would allow you to unfold all the takes making it easy to comp the takes.
[*]More tracks available for recording audio. 48 standard in LE and 64 for MPT buyers like me. Even though i wonder how many tracks with a couple of plugins really can be used reliably and rock steady on an Intel Mac or PC. I am very fortunate to have an 8 core Mac Pro. But how many tracks can really be used on an average Mac without running the machine to its limits? Logic has the ability for an unlimited number of tracks but how many people have actually created sessions with more than 48 tracks that each contained at least a number of good quality plugins like EQ and compression? If Logic can realistically run more tracks with plugins in practice then it's not the hardware that's lacking power and PT should be able to do it just as well.
[*]Being able to expand the number of hardware inputs and outputs for LE users. Like proper support for the M-Audio Lightbridge. What's up with that anyway Digi? Why support it under PT M-Powered but not under PT LE ?
[*]Midi plugins directly on the track exactly like any other plugin on any other track. I always reckoned Digi would have done it this way instead of the Real Time Parameters column they have now. It works great though don't get me wrong but it would have been so much more consistent user interface wise.
[*]More good quality plugins (reverb and delay) as part of the standard LE package.
[*]A freeze function is way overdue. Freezing the track with all its plugins is something that would free up cpu-power and streamline the workflow so much more. It would provide a way to work without interruption of the many annoying hardware buffer size errors when using cpu-intensive plugins while recording. To avoid patent infringement Digi could call it "Petrify track" and "Unpetrify track" or "Bounce selected in place" under the track menu. This would include all the plugins and automation in a new region plus it would automatically deactivate all plugins on the track. Now wouldn't that be great. The "Unpetrify track" function would place all the original regions back on the track and activate all the plugins again.
[*]A score track view option showing the notes on the track itself. Having the option to send to Sibelius is a very welcome addition (and also long overdue if you ask me) but having the scores on the track would be stunning and make use of the great PT workflow again.

Okay, i'm gonna stop now and allow you guys to contribute with some of your great ideas to fuel Digi's development of an even better Pro Tools.

Let's just hope Digi is taking notice!
Old 12-30-2007, 09:00 AM

Default Re: New functions, making Pro Tools an even better DAW!

I just wish they'd add a search feature to the DUC.

Oh wait, there is one already.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:15 AM

Yeah, the guy that wrote this clearly didn't have anything better to do on his Sunday afternoon.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:32 AM

Quote:
[*]More tracks available for recording audio. 48 standard in LE and 64 for MPT buyers like me.
Wait, did I miss something? Last I checked, LE was still 32 and DV Toolkit/MPT gave you 48.

Also, Logic limits track counts to 255 of each kind now. Granted, that's huge.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:30 AM

I think a really cool feature would be for PT not to be able to run on computers that have Logic or other DAW's installed on them.
This would mean if you thought something was better you would have to use it then these wish list/limatation post would go away.

The only thing people should wish for is PT to run smoothly with it's advertised feature set.
Currently 7.4 is doing that and I'm glad.
Digi clearly advertise the features of LE/MPowered so if you need more buy would does what you need.
Makes more sense than buying something and crying for extra features.

What always baffles me is all these other DAW's have all these great features yet they still are trying to copy PT to survive?
Interesting indeed.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:17 PM

Great ideas bortraws! Add ADC and it would be perfect!

@ Forum Member LE:
Nobody complains here. We all like to work in Pro Tools, but does this mean we can't dream or tell Digi what we want? Do you think, we would have Mbox micro, 48 tracks etc. without asking for it? When nobody would ask for new features, we still would stick at 16 tracks or so.

But you are right in one point. We all want PT to run smoothly. 7.4 isn't bad, but still it is a little picky and has a quite bad performance compared to other DAWs.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:59 PM

My post is absolutely not meant as a complaint or a negative rant. Just a constructive wish list from my part as to how Pro Tools would be an even better work horse than it already is. What's wrong with giving Digi ideas and say what we would like to see in the tool we use daily for work. In the end Digi benefits as well because when they listen – which they most often do commendably – we the users stay loyal to their software.

Anyway, IMHO they are not really over the top ideas. They are very feasable and many are already present in other DAW's. I'm just trying to get the most complete possible work tool. I have been using it for a long time and wouldn't want anything else. 7.4 with Elastic Time is fantastic and well thought out. Very creative!

And you're absolutely right Holly73. ADC is one that should be there as well. Oh, and that's not it. There are more!

What about faster than real-time bouncing? I know that it's not much use when you have a session that makes use of a lot of outboard (midi) gear but it can be a fantastic timesaver to listen to your recording at different stages. When i'm writing a song i love to bounce it to MP3 at the end of a days' work or in between while jogging just to get out of the studio for a while and have a fresh listen to it. It always reveals to me whether i'm on the right path with a song.

Also a few good updates for some of the AIR plugins would be nice. Strike is almost a year old. It is a fantastic creative tool but still has some quirks and could be even better.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Wait, did I miss something? Last I checked, LE was still 32 and DV Toolkit/MPT gave you 48.

Also, Logic limits track counts to 255 of each kind now. Granted, that's huge.
You didn't miss anything. It's just a wishlist.

255 possible tracks is fantastic. But how many can you realistically use when each track has a couple of plugins and some even a cpu intensive one like an impulse response Reverb or an Amp Simulator like Guitar Rig. What would then be the maximum?

I am running 48 tracks every now and then in PT LE when i have a dense composition with for instance a lot of background vocals and that often presents me with many buffer underrun errors. It all depends on the amount of plugins. I know i should not complain. After all George Martin only had 4 tracks in the beginning and stereo was still to be invented.

Anyway, let's hear some honest track count numbers from experience ?
Both in PT and Logic would be nice.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:43 PM

Digi has the means for you to submit request and they take feedback from very specific points in the field from users.
We have argued for years about people believing Digi made changes based on request in the forums.
They have more realistic means for gathering info and making their choices.

LE will continue to pick up features thanks to Apple stepping up their CPU choices so both platforms have horsepower.
However you should expect the growth to be from A.I.R. products, feature refinements and new aspects like Elastic.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:48 PM

Of course i totally agree. And that's what we all do i reckon.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't brainstorm 'en public' about what would make Pro Tools a better work tool. It could lead to a whole lot of new ideas. Sending your ideas to Digi and then never hear anything from them until hopefully something is implemented in a newer version is not always very satisfying. The feedback that other users give on these forums broadens one's mind and shows other ways of work and opinions.

Although very often these forums can also be an easy way of losing some frustrations after you had the umpteenth Hardware Buffer Size Error in a complex session.

As i said before. It's not a complaint just the sharing of a wishlist. Which could lead to new innovative ideas that could then be send to Digi.

It's 15 minutes to midnight here in Holland. I'm putting away my laptop now and start counting down.

From Holland i wish you all a very healthy and happy 2008 !

And may the Digi Engineers grand our wishes.