Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2013, 10:53 AM

Default Re: CPTK gone in PT11

Here's another thing as of now the LE versions of the plugins that came with the toolkits have yet to get an AAX upgrade. So we may be losing more than just functions.....hopefully not but nothing would surprise me now....
Old 04-08-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
Here's another thing as of now the LE versions of the plugins that came with the toolkits have yet to get an AAX upgrade. So we may be losing more than just functions.....hopefully not but nothing would surprise me now....
well said... I couldn't have said it better myself. I certainly don't want a MORE EXPENSIVE upgrade path for my future. This just makes me want to ditch CPTK even more and stay with vanilla (and my trusty Cubase 7 as well)

nexis

nexis
Old 04-08-2013, 11:03 AM

I'm in agreement that it's absurd to have CPTK upgrade pricing higher than the HD upgrade pricing. CPTK was HD without the hardware tie-ins (and not entirely cheap itself at $2k cost). If they are going to End of Life it, okay fine, it had it's place, although there was no warning like there was for TDM, RTAS and other soon to be legacy products. But I can't think of any good reason why the upgrade needs to be priced anything other than what the HD upgrade cost would be.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:09 AM

Default PT 10 + CPTK to PT11 HD = $999. Is this correct?

So last year I bought CPTK and upgraded to PT10 as well. It wasn't cheap... I've heard some rumors that, if you have PT10 and CPTK you could upgrade it to PT11 HD for $999. Can anyone confirm this? It sounds VERY steep for CPTK owners.

Cheers

MacPro 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 - Pro Tools Ultimate + HD Native + HD OMNI
MacBook Pro 2.9 GHz i7 16GB Ram (Retina, 15-inch, 2016) - Pro Tools Ultimate + Apollo Twin
iMac 27" 3.4 GHz i7 32GB Ram (Late 2012) - Pro Tools Ultimate + Mbox Pro (3rd gen)
Old 04-08-2013, 11:10 AM

I'm on CPT1, but CPT2 didn't add anything as far as I know. In fact it dropped some things ... as far as I remember, CPT1 was a combination of Music Production Toolkit and DV Toolkit, hence the Complete Production Toolkit name.

But if I remember correctly, the fx plugin licences that came with MPT1/2 and CPT1 were dropped when CPT2 came along. In fact, if I remember, CPT2 was launched simultaneously with MPT2 and DVT being dropped. MPT1 and MPT2 had a few differences in what plugin licences were included. I was lucky ... I bought MPT1 in the grace period for MPT2 so I got the old and the new plugin suites. It's a while back ... I think Fairchild 660/670 was in MPT1 but not MPT2, while there were more moogerfoogers in MPT2 than MPT1 ... etc etc.

This page
http://www.avid.com/US/products/comp...olkit#overview
for the current CPT doesn't mention any of those plugins. It also just calls it Complete Production Toolkit (no mention of '2').

I upgraded from Music Production Toolkit 2, so I already had the FX plugins, but I'm pretty sure people who bought CPT1 also got the plugin extras such as TL Space Reverb, and the Bomb Factory and moogerfooger fx.

These all came as separate licences as part of MPT1/2 and/or CPT1, but I don't think you got those licences if you just bought CPT2.

I think that is the main difference ... up to now (maybe)?
CPT1 and CPT2 licence has opened all the same CPT functionality, it's just that CPT1 had extra fx plugin licences thrown in for good measure.

In fact, I've just checked my CPT1 licence via ilok.com, and it just says 'Complete Production Toolkit' ... the '1' isn't mentioned. Any CPT2 owners care to check their licence and report back as to whether its has the '2' in the licence name?

Hopefully that confirmation will resolve this question (unless it turns out that CPT2 licences actually report themselves as such, differentiating them from CPT1 licences)!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverson View Post
I'm in agreement that it's absurd to have CPTK upgrade pricing higher than the HD upgrade pricing. CPTK was HD without the hardware tie-ins (and not entirely cheap itself at $2k cost). If they are going to End of Life it, okay fine, it had it's place, although there was no warning like there was for TDM, RTAS and other soon to be legacy products. But I can't think of any good reason why the upgrade needs to be priced anything other than what the HD upgrade cost would be.
Exactly....why is it more than the HD upgrade?????? I agree with you. CPTK essentially gave you HD software. So at the very least if they are going to kill it it should be the same as the HD upgrade....and there was ZERO warning that this was going to happen.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:16 AM

Default Re: PT 10 + CPTK to PT11 HD = $999. Is this correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerhavoc View Post
So last year I bought CPTK and upgraded to PT10 as well. It wasn't cheap... I've heard some rumors that, if you have PT10 and CPTK you could upgrade it to PT11 HD for $999. Can anyone confirm this? It sounds VERY steep for CPTK owners.

Cheers
CPTK is discontinued, so if you want access to HD features, you need to buy HD. And $999 is correct, if you have the CPTK license.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 04-08-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverson View Post
I couldn't agree more!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
I'm on CPT1, but CPT2 didn't add anything as far as I know. In fact it dropped some things ... as far as I remember, CPT1 was a combination of Music Production Toolkit and DV Toolkit, hence the Complete Production Toolkit name.

But if I remember correctly, the fx plugin licences that came with MPT1/2 and CPT1 were dropped when CPT2 came along. In fact, if I remember, CPT2 was launched simultaneously with MPT2 and DVT being dropped. MPT1 and MPT2 had a few differences in what plugin licences were included. I was lucky ... I bought MPT1 in the grace period for MPT2 so I got the old and the new plugin suites. It's a while back ... I think Fairchild 660/670 was in MPT1 but not MPT2, while there were more moogerfoogers in MPT2 than MPT1 ... etc etc.

This page
http://www.avid.com/US/products/comp...olkit#overview
for the current CPT doesn't mention any of those plugins. It also just calls it Complete Production Toolkit (no mention of '2').

I upgraded from Music Production Toolkit 2, so I already had the FX plugins, but I'm pretty sure people who bought CPT1 also got the plugin extras such as TL Space Reverb, and the Bomb Factory and moogerfooger fx.

These all came as separate licences as part of MPT1/2 and/or CPT1, but I don't think you got those licences if you just bought CPT2.

I think that is the main difference ... up to now (maybe)?
CPT1 and CPT2 licence has opened all the same CPT functionality, it's just that CPT1 had extra fx plugin licences thrown in for good measure.

In fact, I've just checked my CPT1 licence via ilok.com, and it just says 'Complete Production Toolkit' ... the '1' isn't mentioned. Any CPT2 owners care to check their licence and report back as to whether its has the '2' in the licence name?

Hopefully that confirmation will resolve this question (unless it turns out that CPT2 licences actually report themselves as such, differentiating them from CPT1 licences)!
thanks so much for taking the time to detail the differences. AFAIK i never got the TL space nor the fairchild or moogerfoogers when i activated my version of CPTK w PT10 (i did get access to some VI's like structure and expand2 though) ...... perhaps i DO have CPTK2 ?!?

also i can confirm that there is no '1' after 'complete production toolkit' when checking online at ilok.com

i need to calm down and get back to work. lol

i'm sure more info will flow as the days pass ...

cheers,
paul
Old 04-08-2013, 11:47 AM

Default Re: PT 10 + CPTK to PT11 HD = $999. Is this correct?

I think that's an unreasonable upgrade price based on the amount those of us with cptk2 have already spent. Since we are essentially running PT 10 HD, the price from 10 + cptk to 11 HD should be the same as 10 HD to 11 HD - $599.

I don't understand why I have to pay $400 more for the same feature set.