Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2009, 10:13 PM

Default tracking digital and analog

I've probably commited a cardinal sin, but I wasn't sure where best to post this... so I've also posted it to Control surfaces/Control 24

I want to "try" and capture the signal from a single mic source(or stereo) to my control|24 so I get a digital track(s) AND get the same mic source signal(s) to my Tascam TSR8 reel

I'm hoping there's a simple way so that i can bring the analog/tape track back into PT and use the digital track as the reference to line up (and adjust time if needed) using peaks, pauses, etc?

This would allow me a single source for the headphone mix as well. ... up to now I bounce a rough mix of the instrumentation to tape, record the vocal, and bounce the vocal back to PT... seems there should be a more streamlined way

I suppose I could use separate mics, but seems I might be opening myself up to phase issues

I don't see anything in the C|24 manual... and it's a pain to pull it out to get to the rear panel

I thought about assigning an additional output on the track(s)... but now I've sent the signal A/D and D/A (which may not be that big an issue... but it's another stage in the signal chain...
Old 02-26-2009, 10:22 AM

Default Re: tracking digital and analog

Since the TSR8 is not a 3-head machine, you can't just go through it and then into Pro Tools. What I would do is print a click track in Pro Tools, then record the vocal to tape along with the click on a different tape track. Once printed, bring the vocal and click from the tape into separate Pro Tools tracks. Last, group the vocal and second click and then line up the two click tracks. Slip-n-slide as needed.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 02-26-2009, 12:54 PM

The click to tape is an idea!

I'm still not sure how to get the vocal track into the headphone mix with going thru the Digi- I have line mixer for the Tascam and could take a summed out back to a Digi in ( or I suppose into the headphone amp- but seems latency will be an issue

I may just be stuck staying with bouncing an instrumental mix to tape, tracking the vocals and bouncing back

maybe it'll rain this weekend... one way to spend a rainy afternoon

I wish I had a manual for this....
Old 02-26-2009, 03:59 PM

Do you have a patch bay? Inserts on the C/24?

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 02-26-2009, 04:33 PM

patchbays yes....

physical inserts... no- the Control 24 is not like an analog mixer (oh how I wish...)- I have line in... and line out I have some aux ins.... but they don't work like a channel insert