How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2008, 02:14 PM

Question Question for Cranesong Phoenix users

Hi there!

I noticed that a lot of people use the processing knob on Phoenix to adjust the amount of effect, they like on the individual tracks.

But I don't understand the need for a process button, isn't it better just to use the input trim as a kind of threshold to adjust how much effect you want on your track? Like a e.g. A compressor

To me the process knob is like parallel compressing and I have never heard that on a tape deck?

I mean if I want the sound of tape on my tracks, I could run them through a tape machine and back in PT. I wouldn't make a parallel chain too also - Or would I?

I don't have much experience, working with real tape machines and therefor I am a little confused on how to use Phoenix.

Thanks a lot!!
/Peter
Old 11-11-2008, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Question for Cranesong Phoenix users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydpik View Post
Hi there!

I noticed that a lot of people use the processing knob on Phoenix to adjust the amount of effect, they like on the individual tracks.

But I don't understand the need for a process button, isn't it better just to use the input trim as a kind of threshold to adjust how much effect you want on your track? Like a e.g. A compressor

To me the process knob is like parallel compressing and I have never heard that on a tape deck?

I mean if I want the sound of tape on my tracks, I could run them through a tape machine and back in PT. I wouldn't make a parallel chain too also - Or would I?

I don't have much experience, working with real tape machines and therefor I am a little confused on how to use Phoenix.

Thanks a lot!!
/Peter
Hi,

Interestingly the early press release pictures didn't have the input level!

I guess the process and the input adjust both do a similar thing, although the website says the input trim determines "how hard you hit the tape" the process determines the "amount of processing integrated into the audio signal"

so the input is the amount of tape saturation
the process is how much is added to the signal

I wish there was an output trim to be able to do true equal level bypass comparison!!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:45 PM

WERD!!!! If you're reading Cranesong-er's please recognize!

Thanks!,

Steve
Old 11-16-2008, 01:40 PM

I think, the input trim was added, because the tape-simulation process could create levels at maximum digital peak. As it is a fixed point process maybe it was regarded as necessary to avoid fullscale samples in larger number and therefore the need to reduce the input level to stay within legal digital levels.

my 0.02
matthias