Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2023, 01:27 PM

Default Frustration with Avid

I'm frustrated ... and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I've edited this because I was really in a bad mood when I first posted it.

I've been a loyal PT user since 2001, and even paid almost $4000 to become a "Certified PT Operator" thru ProMedia training. And while I appreciated some of the changes in the Program over the years, I feel the Home Studio/ Small Studio owner is getting screwed by the changes in licensing and costs to remain current.

I'm in the process of copying everything from PT to Studio One to run in parallel. I have been loyal to PT for 20+ years. I don't even want to think about how much money I've spent on PT since they changed to the subscription platform and then kept increasing the pricing. I'd go to Logic Pro if I wanted to change to the Mac platform, but I already have a lot invested in my Windows computers

I'll probably just change to monthly until I have all of the sessions copied over to S1 and see if they come up with a better option for subscription users. It's a real shame how they have treated us with their poorly chosen business models and high costs. They gave us this "great deal" if we moved to the subscription model, then put us in a position where we can't go back for the upgrade price and would have to basically pay the same as someone who is brand new and hasn't been given them hundreds of dollars a year to just keep the same program with a few changes.

I have been an outspoken supporter of ProTools for over 20 years, but they have made it difficult to promote them at this point.
Great product ... terrible business and support

I'd love to know what others think ...

Last edited by Songster; 11-06-2023 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Better wording
Old 10-31-2023, 01:49 PM

Default Re: I believe it's time to change DAWs

Speaking from my pov as a freelancer, enough functionality has been brought down from Ultimate to Studio that I feel like I'm getting pretty good bang for buck. Also, Ultimate recently came down in price by a HUGE margin. (Was it 50%?)

Nothing's perfect and lord knows I have my gripes but the past couple years have been pretty good, actually.
Old 10-31-2023, 02:48 PM

Pro Tools isn't for everybody.
Old 10-31-2023, 03:12 PM

We got this "upgrade pricing" back just recently.
Old 11-01-2023, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
We got this "upgrade pricing" back just recently.
Upgrade Pricing???
Old 11-01-2023, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsureit View Post
Pro Tools isn't for everybody.
I agree, but I've been using PT since version 5 or 6, certified in 2006 as Operator, and have been using since 2001. If it wasn't for me, I think I would know by now ... I just think they are forsaking the Non-Big Studio users, especially the ones who have been loyal for many years
Old 11-01-2023, 10:56 AM

I have all the licenses for all the DAWs, you name it ... Logic, Reason, Reaper, Cubase, Ableton, FL Studio ....
I have been really REALLY frustrated with Pro Tools at some point when it was really buggy but honestly back since few years let's say 2018 I have nothing to complain about and I don't know why but I always end up working the final mix on Pro Tools ... myth or not it always sounds FREAKISHLY better ....
I do the composing a lot of times on Logic it's seamless ... very intuitive but the final mix has always to go to Pro Tools ...
The pricing ... well yea it is indeed expensive but it makes sense for those people to monetize the product they are selling ... there is no free lunch out there
macOS 14.4.1
Pro Tools 2024.3.1
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
Apogee Thunderbridge/Apogee Symphony I/O 2x6
Eleven Rack/Focusrite ISA Two/Onyx 1640i
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Axiom AIR 49/Axiom 49/Yamaha P35
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e
Genelec 8040b/Yamaha HS80s/M-Audio BX5a
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840/Slate VMS

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7KfV..._branch=1&nd=1
Old 11-01-2023, 12:11 PM

I have PT Studio with a permanent license (I've always refused subscription) and I don't find renewal expensive since the latest adjustments. The new functions have been important for 2 or 3 years. That's fine with me.

That said, Studio One is a very good DAW. It's just ugly (especially its mixer and weird faders). But then, not everyone thinks like I do.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 11-01-2023, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songster View Post
Upgrade Pricing???
You can update your support plan when you wish to do so, not necessarily yearly.
Old 11-01-2023, 12:42 PM

Unless you need session compatibility with .ptx there are several tools that do the job well. It’s not the tool. It’s how you use the tool.