Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 12:16 AM

Default RealTime Monitoring

Hi All, New here and to the world of Digi
I've got the 002 Rack on a 2.6gig AMD CPU with 2 gigs RAM an a 6800Ultra Vid card,
7.0 LE runs fine on WIN XP Pro
My issue is this. Im a drummer and no matter what i try I cannot seem to get enough volume out of my headphones during Record?
After I record Playback is loud as all get-out. But during record it's less than half that volume ?

I confirmed this with a scratch test which was barely audible thru HP's plugged into HP Jack and HP Volume @ 10. Thru an SM-57. the signal clipped, but i could hardly hear it real time??
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Old 10-12-2007, 09:16 AM

Default Re: RealTime Monitoring

Not sure what's going on here. My headphone volume is always the same whether recording or playing back. You do know that the headphone (and main out) volume is governed by the fader settings on the tracks? Start with the faders set at the -0 mark(nominal). I use a Behringer HA4700 headphone amp which has more "gas" than the onboard headphone jack. If your phones were ALWAYS to soft, I would suggest a new set, maybe with a lower impedance. Many studio phones are 600ohm which is not loud at all on the average modern headphone amp(that's why studios of old would power headphones with Crown D60 power amps). Many modern phones are 40 ohms and go much louder(Sony 7506, V600, Sennheiser280...) Not sure if any of this helps but it might get your brain going in a direction that will.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-12-2007, 09:36 AM

Thanks...Ya, i always have faders @ zero to start an adjust pre's. However. as I said Im using Vic Firth iso headphones(60ohms) and i have new Audio Technica's that are 60ohms.
But if i read your post correctly your saying the main outs an headphones share the same amp??
and i see your on a 003?
I just want to confirm this....as I said If i hit my snare,,,,i either drown out the headphone with the actual sound ..or distort trying.....Yet after i have recorded, the playback is so loud i have to turn down HP's main volume??

Again;Thanks
Old 10-12-2007, 05:26 PM

And now after having a certified Tech inspect the 002 Rack, It would appear that an A/D converter is pooched.
According to tech...He's not surprized and see's this sort of problem often. His suggestion was to go with an outboard HP Amp (I bought Presonus HP60) and avoid the HP Amp in the 002 rack.So i will use ,for now outputs 5-8 as 2 pair of stereo Cue's and I will make a "Y" cable to drive 4 mono cue's if needed.
Thanks For your reply
Cheers