Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2003, 03:05 AM

Default Re: Best System for PTLE for under $1000.00

By Phil O'Keefe
Quote:
Time for a new system this fall! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I was thinking the same thing. Then I realized that just because a new technology is available doesn't mean that Digi will support it... for a while. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

If Digi jumps on the 64-bit bandwagon and PTLE supports it when it comes out, I'd be very surprised. v-e-r-y suprised. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Something tells me that once the new AMD is out we'll be waiting a while before we can actually use PTLE with our new Clawhammer machines.

I'd like to believe otherwise, but I'll believe it when I see it. Personally, I'm still waiting to see how quick Digi can give us loyal PC users our PTLE 6 we've all been so patiently awaiting. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2003, 08:33 AM

Hello all!

im currently putting my system together for my new digi 002.

i had decided on the asus AZ333-x board as suggested by allen however to my dismay they have stopped stocking it at the uk store i use.

so now im going to plumb for the more featured but more pricey asus A7V8X.

will the ati radean 64mb dual hard card work with this board? has anyone tried it? i have heard that the matrox dual head 550 has issues with this mother board?

thanks for any help in advance!!

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2003, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by golli:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> I'd set it up and give it a go. Haven't seen any of the new A7V8X-X motherboards for PTLE yet. They usually get the bugs fixed on the second round. If it works you have a motherboard that is more expandable than the A7V333-X, that will handle the new FSB400 CPUs.
Let us know how it goes.
Allen
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Allen I built me a Allenstein a month back with that mobo and it's rock solid.
It supports two PC2700 DIMM's and I have two 512mb with the XP2700 cpu.
And thanks for all the advice this winter Allen and Phil. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So the A7V8X-X is a go? What were ur davec scores?
Old 05-27-2003, 09:01 AM

Hey.. just about to upgrade here...
i have narrowed it down to these two setups, but i have my doubts about a few things...

System 1:
Asus A7V333-X-LAN ATX
DDR-SDRAM PC2700 Kingston 512MB
AMD Athlon Barton XP 2500+ (1830MHz)
Thermal Take Technology Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
Antec Sonata - Quiet MidiTower (380W Silent PSU)

or

System 2:
AMD - Athlon Thoroughbred XP 2600+ (2083MHz)
Asus - A7V8X-X-LAN ATX

I obviously want to get the best value-for-money system and the prices of the two systems are allmost the same.
Maybe a mix of the two?
Maybe something different?
Also, should i buy the kingston hyperX CL2 memory instead??
They are faster and a litte more expensive, but will they work with the MOBOs?
Are they worth the extra money?

PS.
I haven't forgot cd-roms, HDs ect. i have those things already..

Thx in advance
Old 05-27-2003, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Check the first post on this thread.

Allen
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">OK, did that. Now here's a couple options I am looking at for upgrading and wondering if they are pretty equal systems or if either one is better than the other?
Option 1
The heatsink/fan, motherboard, memory and PSU listed for the Allenstein machine except I'd substitute an Athlon XP2600+ to save some $.

Option 2
The components in the Quickdraw system and the same Enermax PSU as in the Allenstein machine.

The Quickdraw P4 setup would cost probably around $40 more. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 05-27-2003, 05:17 PM

hookiefree!
32+12 with no XP tweaks, did it right away after setting the PC up. I want to set it up differently with separate OS just for PT and then do the Davec all over.
I would be interested in seeing another versin of the Davec, a one that uses Waves, cause they use the CPU more.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:19 PM

I can't really shed much light on your questions, except the mobo.
I had ordered the A7V333-X/L last tuesday. I finally called today to see if it was shipped and they said they tried to call me and let me know that it was discontinued.
I talked them into giving me the A7V8X-X for the exact same price. It should work just as well, I was just a little leary about the KT400 chipset, but we'll see.

Hopefully that helps something. Oh, and I ordered the XP2400+ because I'm going to school and I'm broke. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

-Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by mica:
Hey.. just about to upgrade here...
i have narrowed it down to these two setups, but i have my doubts about a few things...

System 1:
Asus A7V333-X-LAN ATX
AMD Athlon Barton XP 2500+ (1830MHz)

or

System 2:
AMD - Athlon Thoroughbred XP 2600+ (2083MHz)
Asus - A7V8X-X-LAN ATX

I obviously want to get the best value-for-money system and the prices of the two systems are allmost the same.
Maybe a mix of the two?
Maybe something different?
Also, should i buy the kingston hyperX CL2 memory instead??
They are faster and a litte more expensive, but will they work with the MOBOs?
Are they worth the extra money?

PS.
I haven't forgot cd-roms, HDs ect. i have those things already..

Thx in advance
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

http://www.iprschool.com
Old 05-27-2003, 05:26 PM

Hey Allen I need big time help
I've put together your machine , with everything listed on your post XP 2800 barton(execpt for case I got a rack mount ) I put everything together ,cranked it up got into bios did all the changes need except the cpu speed I did'nt know how to adjust that so I left it at defalt100/133, 16.0 [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] I installed Windows XP Pro
I did all the adjustments to Win XP according to PC Audio Labs Windows XP DAW Optimization guide
RE-booted a few times and everything seemed to be going great, I installed Digi hardware OO1 pci card on slot 3, I installed Pro Tools software ver 5.3.1
according to the instuctions I did'nt let windows install the drivers the install finished ok . I re-booted a few times and connected my oo1 interface started pro tools it did'nt load up I got an error stating that it could not find the hardware, I deleated the program , including drivers and started over again the same thing again it did not detect the pci card , I shut the sys down for the night .
Next morn. I started the system , I got no response at all , no beeps , no bios , no windows, the only thing that turns on are the fans , I read over the trobleshooting guide on how to build a pc, on your post , it said that if I get only fans , no beeps or anything , it might be a component thats not working , it said to check the prosessor or the memory , I checked the prosessor by detaching the fan and powering up the sys, it said if the prosessor heated up quickly it was ok , it heated up as fast as hell , it burned my @#*! finger , I got new memory and still nothing is happening please help what am I doing wrong [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2003, 05:53 PM

PeteW
The mobo I'm referring to is the A7V8X non deluxe version.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MadeByNick:
By Phil O'Keefe
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Time for a new system this fall! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I was thinking the same thing. Then I realized that just because a new technology is available doesn't mean that Digi will support it... for a while. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

If Digi jumps on the 64-bit bandwagon and PTLE supports it when it comes out, I'd be very surprised. v-e-r-y suprised. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Something tells me that once the new AMD is out we'll be waiting a while before we can actually use PTLE with our new Clawhammer machines.

I'd like to believe otherwise, but I'll believe it when I see it. Personally, I'm still waiting to see how quick Digi can give us loyal PC users our PTLE 6 we've all been so patiently awaiting. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Nick, you very well may be right - I have no idea. It would be nice to have a 3 GHz clocked Athlon type CPU though - can you say "screamer"? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

And besides, if nothing else, when they start shipping Clawhammers, the prices on the XP 3200 and 3400 should drop significantly. I can probably plop one of those onto my current mobo (A7N8X Deluxe) at a low price and get a bit of a performance boost while I'm waiting for 64 bit compatability. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.