Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2003, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Best System for PTLE for under $1000.00

Hi Guys,

I'm ready to get the P4 version of Allen's machine, but I'd like to get a more flexible MOBO instead Intel, maybe ASUS or GIGABYTE ( maybe someday I'll like to sucking a few more mhz from this CPU [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

Which one's you like? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks for your input
Old 04-04-2003, 01:50 PM

Hi, Giot check this link
These mobo is great for me.

http://www.hexus.net/review.php?review=452

Ciao,
Antonio Tarantino
Old 04-04-2003, 02:07 PM

Thanks Antonio, but I think this its an Intel... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2003, 02:48 PM

I could be more specific. I have just put the videocard in the system, harddisk, memory 2x 512 samsung ddr dimm 1&3, our beloved enermax 350Psu
Is there something else I should plug/unplug??
Old 04-04-2003, 05:08 PM

Allen: OK here goes...I got XP Home installed on my PC (your spec build it yourself PC). Everything is great except for one major problem. I installed my audio drive (an IBM Deskstar 7200rpm, ATA100, IDE) from my old ProTools PC (running Windows 98SE) and for some reason Windows XP doesn't "see" the drive. When I go into MY COMPUTER, I see Drive A, Drive C, then my two CD burners are drives E and F. So XP is assigning a drive letter to the second hard drive but I can't see the drive nor can I get any files. I'm sure the drive was formatted to FAT32 and not NTFS which I am worried is the problem. I have also jumpered the drive as cable select. HELP!!! Any suggestions as to how I can see the files on this drive?
Old 04-04-2003, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by markus44uk:
Allen: OK here goes...I got XP Home installed on my PC (your spec build it yourself PC). Everything is great except for one major problem. I installed my audio drive (an IBM Deskstar 7200rpm, ATA100, IDE) from my old ProTools PC (running Windows 98SE) and for some reason Windows XP doesn't "see" the drive. When I go into MY COMPUTER, I see Drive A, Drive C, then my two CD burners are drives E and F. So XP is assigning a drive letter to the second hard drive but I can't see the drive nor can I get any files. I'm sure the drive was formatted to FAT32 and not NTFS which I am worried is the problem. I have also jumpered the drive as cable select. HELP!!! Any suggestions as to how I can see the files on this drive?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey, I had this problem when building my sister's computer 2 months ago. Don't know if it's the same problem, but here's my suggestion.

Look at the IDE cable. Is it twisted even slightly? Turns out that this can be a problem some times. But I swapped in a brand new cable I had lying around & the problem was solved. It's a low-tech solution. But sometimes that's what these problems are.

Also, sometimes IDE devices can be picky & don't like to be set on cable select. You might want to just try to assign the jumper setttings yourself. Again, low-tech, but I've had this kind of stuff happen before.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:28 AM

ALLEN HELP!! I'm trying to boot for the first time Asus a7v8x mobo spent a long time checking and doublechecking but nothing. The only thing that happens is that green light at the bottom of the mobo standby power light. Then I push the atx power button and.............nothing [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2003, 04:55 AM

I swapped out the IDE cable with a new one and still the same problem. I think I have narrowed it down to XP not being able to read the FAT32 files on the drive. After some research, it appears as though XP SHOULD be able to read FAT32 formatted drives so I am back to the beginning again trying to figure out why XP can't "see" the drive at all even though it allocates it a drive letter and even recognizes it in the BIOS setup page... I have tried changing the jumpers on the drive to Slave, Cable Select, Master, you name it! Still no luck there. I did find some info about some sort of XP utility called CONVERT which can convert the FAT32 format to NTFS but I am terrified that if I use it I might inadvertantly lose ALL of the files on the drive...can't take that risk yet. FInal alternative is to reinstall the drive into my old PC and do some sort of file dump from that machine into the new one...do they still make nullmodem cables? God I HATE new technolgy!@!!!!!!

Still looking for an answer...
Old 04-05-2003, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tfrazier1964:
Hi jcoker,

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">tfrazier1964...did you tweak your bios for cpu speed, like up to 2083MHz? I've got the same mobo and cpu as you and so far I haven't been able to run the cpu speed higher than 1667MHz/12.5 freq multiple/133 external freq w/o getting sudden shutdowns and problems booting. If you are running @ 2083MHz, what RAM chip are you using? Thanks.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My BIOS settings are listed below:
CPU Speed [2250]
CPU Freq and CPU Extern Freq are greyed out but show values of [13.5x] and [166/33] respectivly.
Memory set to [333].
System Performance [Turbo]

The CPU and RAM are from NewEgg:
CPU AMD 2800/333 ATHLON XP% TBRED
20-DDRAM 512MB|64X64 PC-2700 CRUCIAL% x 2

Machine runs great no lockups.
Getting 32+12 tracks. on DaveC. (on the edge here)

For a burnin style test I ran 32 + 1 aux with all DaveC Plugs for 3 Hours. To Simulate recording a 3 hour Live concert. Also burns in the new harddrives, fills almost to capacity. Ran flawlessly. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I Purchesd another 80G WD harddrive and put it in an ADS Dual Link Firewire/USB2 case. It also ran 32 + 1 over firewire for 3 hours no flaws. The firewire port used for the external harddrive was the second Digi002 1394 port. Next Ill try the USB2 port. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

A little wordy [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] but I hope this helps
-t [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Does help...and sounds like you've got a great set-up! One last question...did you enable the Vcore over voltage jumper on your mobo and then set your cpu vcore voltage in the bios? Thanks.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Does help...and sounds like you've got a great set-up! One last question...did you enable the Vcore over voltage jumper on your mobo and then set your cpu vcore voltage in the bios? Thanks.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No I left the jumpers in the factory default position. I also did not change the voltage in th bios. Thje default settings were correct for my CPU

-t

Jesus - He's Incredible