Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2002, 12:01 AM

Default Ha ha, in your face!!!

K, I was working on a session at my buddys studio. He's running a Protools TDM rig using a G4 mac (833 mhz??) Anyway, we were working and shooting the ****. Then the the topic of Mac vs PC came up (of coase). It started off friendly enough until he realized that he wasn't convincing me that Mac's are the be-all-end-all. I was just simply saying that PC's work fine for audio and that when PTXP comes out then it's really going to kick a.. He basically laughed at me and said that Windows should never be used for pro audio because it's not stable enough, period! Just as he finished saying that he turned to go back to work only to realize his precious Mac had crashed on him [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I don't know much about Mac trouble-shooting, but it took him a while for us to get back to work [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Jayman #9
Old 06-15-2002, 01:48 AM

Default Re: Ha ha, in your face!!!

You have broken their 'code of silence'!
What you think you saw, must have never happened. Remember, never happened, never...
It was swamp gas, reflecting off Venus to a weather balloon on the grassy knoll.
Old 06-15-2002, 01:49 AM

I switched from a MAC G4 to a PC a long time ago and I'm very glad that I did. I still have the MAC, but it's getting dusty.
Old 06-15-2002, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stone Knife:
You have broken their 'code of silence'!
What you think you saw, must have never happened. Remember, never happened, never...
It was swamp gas, reflecting off Venus to a weather balloon on the grassy knoll.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">lol [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Jayman #9
Old 06-15-2002, 02:06 AM

I honestly envy the Mac-people for their bigger set of plug-ins! ...and that my friends, is not a minor drawback to the PC. The sound coming out of the recordings is what counts and until we have equal opportunities they will have the upper hand... but, that will have to change! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 06-15-2002, 02:23 AM

Besides that, I also envy the Mac's stability vs the PC. We trade off a cheaper more powerful box - in some ways - and give up that better compatibility and stability. Maybe one day the PC will have the OS and architecture it was meant to have all along. Hey, it can happen, there is a God... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2002, 02:49 AM

I think when XP comes out for Protools (HD, TDM & LE) then 3rd party companies will take Windows far more seriously. Why would they design a product for an OS (WIN98) that is way out of date? I think it's just good business sense to wait for XP. Now that PC's are getting faster by the minute, people are going to see more PC's in all multimedia studios. Look at Stienberg. He knows what's going on. All of thier new software (Nuendo, Cubase SX) is written on Windows and ported to the Mac. On thier website for Cubase SX it says, "coming soon for Mac." [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] On the Nuendo forum Mac guys are bitching about stupid glitches that don't happen to PC guys. PC's have caught up so fast to the Mac that I wonder where we'll be in two years. I mean come on, can you get a Mac with a tubed motherboard! We can! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Jayman #9
Old 06-15-2002, 06:57 AM

Humm...big plug-in envy... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by GW:
I honestly envy the Mac-people for their bigger set of plug-ins!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 06-15-2002, 08:24 AM

i use mac and pc. well as as soon as xp arrives i'll use the pc.
Old 06-15-2002, 09:06 AM

I love the DUC. You guys are definitely a good read. I have just finished school to be a "recording engineer." I feel I can put my two cents in now. You can reply and just tell me to shove it if you want too! I have been using Mac's for the past year with PT and I have a Dig001 running on a PC with '98 on it at home, and I'll tell you what. They both stink the same! They both crash just as much, whether it's a PC or Mac. I built my dual boot PC with Xp and '98 on it, and on '98 I just have audio programs and I bought an 80 gig hd to record to. The Macs I used in school crash just as much as my setup at home. The only difference is the Mac guys get priority over us better and smarter windows users who have to learn all about computers to make their setup work, while the mac guys just have to go buy one and hook it up. Anyone who says Macs are better are just saying it because that's what they have been trained to say. When in reality, they both stink! I would of bought of Mac too, but I was a poor student who could only afford a PC at the time. Macs do look way cooler than my PC though. Anyway, this is just my opinion, and I could be wrong!