Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2007, 01:19 AM

Default Blue Automation Breakpoints?

Hey everyone... a Noo-b to the DUC here... literally just signed up for this question. I recently upgraded to 7.3 and discovered the blue automation breakpoint that comes up every now and then... not quite sure what it is or what I am doing to create it. Just wondering if anyone can tell me. Thanks
Old 12-24-2007, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Blue Automation Breakpoints?

Quote:
Hey everyone... a Noo-b to the DUC here... literally just signed up for this question. I recently upgraded to 7.3 and discovered the blue automation breakpoint that comes up every now and then... not quite sure what it is or what I am doing to create it. Just wondering if anyone can tell me. Thanks
IN a rush here... last minute shopping. No time to explain, but just do a search for "blue" in your manual. It should come up (look for the word automation after, or somehwere around blue). The manual is a great first stop. Good luck.. SB
Old 12-24-2007, 09:01 AM

It just means that you've gone BEYOND the boundaries of normal automation. Ex: you drag the volume bar up to +50 (whereas the normal boundary is +12). Your max level will still be +12, you just went a little kooky when dragging. Same thing with going to INF level. If you have a region at -35 and you drag the volume bar to the "Bottom of the screen" it will show blue dots instead of black, indicating you've dragged too far. Get it? It's harmless, more of a visual indication for you.
IMDB
LinkedIn
Old 12-24-2007, 11:20 AM

The volumegraph actually remembers those levels if you go above +12. If you lower the overall level you will see this. Sometimes I like this behavior, sometimes I don't.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
? It's harmless, more of a visual indication for you.
. It is actually somewhat usefull, especially when in "groups". for instance, if i want to raise the overall level of the drums,(that are grouped) using, for example, a tom fader and it is at -4.. but the kick is at +8. the kick automation point turns blue when i raise the tom more than 4 db, indicating that the relative balance between that tom and the kick is no longer.. Of course I would never record drums with this relative level disparity..
When the groups are large, this comes in handy.