Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 08:51 PM

Default Anyone using Axiom-25 with PT\'s yet

M-Audio recently came out with M-Audio Axiom 25 KeyBoard controller. What's diff about this is the transport control (Play, Stop, Record). I bought it, and put it in MMC mode and it's not working. I tried it in Reason 2.5, FLStudio, and plugged-in to Pro Tools. Anyone using this product yet, or have anything to say about it?
Old 08-11-2006, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Anyone using Axiom-25 with PT\'s yet

I don't have one, but I can tell you for sure that you won't be able to control the transport in Pro Tools unless you reprogram it to act like the JL Cooper CS-10 and then load the CS-10 controller profile in Pro Tools.

I've successfully done this with the MAudio Ozonic, and have Instructions for how to do so on my webpage. I would imagine that since the axiom is also an MAudio product, the procedure might be similar, but since I don't have one, I couldn't say for sure.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 08-11-2006, 09:14 PM

cool, i'll try that and get back with you on it..
Old 08-13-2006, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I don't have one, but I can tell you for sure that you won't be able to control the transport in Pro Tools unless you reprogram it to act like the JL Cooper CS-10 and then load the CS-10 controller profile in Pro Tools.

I've successfully done this with the MAudio Ozonic, and have Instructions for how to do so on my webpage. I would imagine that since the axiom is also an MAudio product, the procedure might be similar, but since I don't have one, I couldn't say for sure.
I've been trying to do this with my Axiom 61. Problem is, the CS-10 is not a choice under midi controllers in Pro Tools Le 7 ... at least I could not find it in the list. I selected the Cooper products that were listed, but unfortunately no luck. I know it's not a problem with the keyboard sending midi messages to Pro Tools, because I can use it with Xpand! etc. with no trouble.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:02 PM

As mentioned on my page that I linked to, you need to download the CS-10 controller profile from the Legacy MIDI Controllers page. It is no longer included with the base install, and the procedure will not work without it.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 08-13-2006, 04:42 PM

Also, if you have installed everything correctly, the only "other" controllers listed under Setups->Peripherals->Midi Controllers should be the HUI and Motor Mix (and, of course, the CS-10 if you have installed it per the instructions on the linked page...).

Are you sure you are following the right instructions? Are you sure you are setting up the MIDI controller in the right area?

Old 08-14-2006, 04:59 AM

Thanks for the follow-up. I managed to sort it out late last night. I was trying to set up the CS-10 from the wrong menu. I should have read through the Digidesign documentation included with the legacy controller download a little more carefully. I was trying to (unsuccessfully) set up the cs-10 from the Setup: Midi: Midi Studio menu ... I finally read the documentation carefully and realized that you need to set it up from the Setup: Peripherals: Midi Controllers menu.

I was able to quickly get the faders and transport controls up and running from my Axiom controller. But have you had any luck with panning on the individual tracks? I managed to get one track to pan with a controller knob ... but none of the other tracks. Looking through the documentation appendix it looks as if there may only be one pan control for the CS-10.

After setting up the CS-10 emulation, I was able to play Xpand! with the keys and control the faders and transport controls with the sliders and buttons on my controller. However, I was not able to link the knobs on my controller to control any of the parameters in Xpand! at the same time. I think I need to look at directing the midi messages from the knobs on my controller down a different channel to Xpand! ... any thoughts?

Thanks again.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:29 PM

Actually I downloaded a program from the M-Audio site called Enigma and it allows you to setup your Axiom with ease. Then you can control your Reason and plug it into Pro Tools later (bouncing the tracks to MIDI/Audio). It's very ergonmical but at the same time the programming is a pain in the rear. It(Axiom 25) has zone to save your changes to which I could care less with the type of music I produce. Big ups on the pads and transport functions!!! Still trying to figure out what I pressed last at times though.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:26 AM

I have the 25 and am able to control the PT transport without using that profile you mention.

I can't remember the exact steps now, but I had to program each button on the Axiom, assigning it to the proper function. There's no way I could have done it without the manual - but even then it took some trial and error to get it to work.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:22 PM

Quote:

nice write-up on your site. looks very familiar. please show me some love!