Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2002, 05:11 AM

Default Re: Little surprise for laptop users and 002

Basically this post was about the fact that the 002 and the 800 DVI TiG4 can't use the lowest buffer setting available, and as such you have slightly more monitoring latency when not using the 'low latency feature'. File it under minor gripe, NOT major issue. The smaller the sample buffer size, the lower the monitoring latency you hear when tracking, which makes for a tighter performance. Low latency monitoring is a workaround, but disables plugins on the recorded track or auxes (i.e. reverb on the vocal you are recording), and I was disapointed that I couldn't use the very lowest buffer settings which is my preferred way of working.

Cant comment on the 1Ghz machines and their firewire interupt latency since I don't have one. Anyone else out there using a 002 and 1Ghz at the lowest sample buffer settings?

As an aside, Digi hasn't even listed the 1Ghz machines in the newest compato docs - so I don't know whats going on with getting those laptops signed off on. Usually you should be fine going with a new not yet approved Mac, but those who bought MDD G4s had problems using the 001 early on - so its not 100% risk free.

The only major complaint about the 1Ghz I've heard is NOISE - the fan goes on more in OS 9 - so if you're interested in remote recording and need a quiet laptop this could be an issue.
Old 12-26-2002, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tubelover:
[QB] <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Also another minor picky point - Digi - bad move to not include a hard copy paper PTLE manual and just go to electronic version of your included docs. For a $2500 DAW,and one that is aimed at 1st time PTLE buyers, you really could throw in a printed manual.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually it's a significant cost savings for everyone involved and ultimately you, the consumer.
[QB]<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I bought a 001 recently, in Australia. A few years ago the 001 cost approx $1800 with printed manual. Full retail is now $2100 and no manual. Very annoying.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:17 AM

Quote:
The only major complaint about the 1Ghz I've heard is NOISE - the fan goes on more in OS 9 - so if you're interested in remote recording and need a quiet laptop this could be an issue.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi Frank, I just got my 1gig Ti, the first thing I noticed was how quiet the fan is when it is on, and how it does not go on as often as my older 667 ( which I traded in)

So far I am very happy with the performance with the Mbox, I am just tired of switching to a different OS

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 12-27-2002, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DesertDude:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> The only major complaint about the 1Ghz I've heard is NOISE - the fan goes on more in OS 9 - so if you're interested in remote recording and need a quiet laptop this could be an issue.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi Frank, I just got my 1gig Ti, the first thing I noticed was how quiet the fan is when it is on, and how it does not go on as often as my older 667 ( which I traded in)

So far I am very happy with the performance with the Mbox, I am just tired of switching to a different OS

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey DD - I am glad yours seems to be OK (and this might be the kind of thing that only affects some/early machines), and feel the same way about booting in 9 only for PTLE. Since I don't have a 1Ghz model (mines an 800 DVI), I haven't focused in on the discussion about noise too much, but for those interested you may want to look here:

Apple Discussion Board 1Ghz Powerbook Noise Thread

As always, YMMV