Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2003, 03:05 AM

Default what mic for recording hihat and snare

I know about SM57 for snare and maybe AKG 451 for Hihat, but any other suggestions are welcome...

what about a big condenser like U87 on snare or hihat?
any experiances?

thanks
Old 01-23-2003, 04:38 AM

Default Re: what mic for recording hihat and snare

I was never happy with the sound I got from using a SM57 on a Snare, it always sounded too weedy. I know you can fix it with EQ but I just prefer to get a good sound to start with.

The session I did the other day I used a Audio Technica ATM31a on the Snare and it gave a really nice sound, nice and warm with plent of depth.

As for the Hi-Hats I used a C414, used to use a C1000 but when ever the hi-hats were open and hit I just ended up with a really awful sound, the C414 seems to have solved this though so I will stick with it.

This is just what I use, I suppose it is down to what you are recording. I used these mic's for both a folk rock band and a grunge band with some nice results.

Lee [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
PT LE 6.1.1
Digi 001
---
Old 01-23-2003, 06:11 AM

As a drummer, I really don't care for the 57 as well. You know what? I have a pair atm31's that I used as overheads (over my akg c430's) for the first time in a session last week and was impressed with the smoothness at the top end. I've been tempted to use it on the snare as well. Thanks for the info
Old 01-23-2003, 11:47 AM

Also, if you have another input free, you could place a second mic under the snare. I've been using a ATM 63 in a concert hall (for both, snare and high-hat), because the first drummer we had destroyed the plastic of the SM 57.

The only problem with not having a 57 is having to deal with the sound-man of the bands that tell us that it's not proffesional to not have 58 and 57.

JC
Old 01-23-2003, 01:34 PM

a sm81 on the hat is not bad IMO
Old 01-23-2003, 02:16 PM

I think you really need 2 mics if you are recording snare. I use 2 SM57's. If I solo the snare on top, you just hear the attack and there isn't much character to it. Add in the bottom mic and then you have gotten your crackle and snare back.

So whatever mics you choose to use, it REALLY helps to have a top and bottom mic.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:54 PM

Well what a tricky topic. This is a common fight between engineers and musicians to get that sound they like, and it's a tough decision. In my experience as a drummer and an engineer, its just easiest to use four mics. one on the kick, one on the snare, and two for the over heads. the kick is pretty straight forward -- nice mic, nice sound. for the overheads, two of the largest diaphragm condensers you can find will pick up the cymbals and toms with plenty of fullness. But honestly, the snare is a pain in the ass. it is the most crucial piece of the full kit, and its got to be right. The SM57 does wonders for live applications, but recording is another story. I second the idea to double up the sm57 on the top and bottom. I also second just fixing it with EQ. If a pricy mic isnt in you budget, it will do just fine. Try different things and let us know how things turn out!

cheers,
andy
Old 01-23-2003, 03:19 PM

It also helps if you reverse the phase on the mic under the snare
Old 01-23-2003, 03:46 PM

I like an Earthworks SR77 on the snare, usually just on the shell. For overhead IMO nothing beats 2 really small diaphragm omni's like Earthworks TC30k. 99% of the time I do not use the Hat mic, but I usually try an sm81 and spend time getting it placed for a decent sound.
1-603-867-6843
Old 01-23-2003, 03:57 PM

Despite the fact that some see them as 'buget' mics, i think Rode do some fantastic work. I recently did a sesion and experimented with 2x NT3's for the snare (top and bottom) and an NT5 for the hats. I was surprised at how little spill i got, as they are all condensers and the results were great. A really solid and rich snare and smooth and bright, but not too crisp, hats.

I was recording a good Premier drum kit, so i am sure that helped too...