Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2006, 10:14 PM

Default digital optical input

i have a 002r connected to my computer, i have rca cords going from the computer output (usually for speakers) to the 'alt src to mon' input on the 002r. whenever im not using the computer for recording, i hit the 'alt src to mon' button on the front of the rack, and i can listen to music, or watever other sounds on the computer i need to, without being in pro tools.

using this set up, im wondering if theres a a way to have the digital optical input act like the 'alt src to mon' input does in this scenario. the reason i ask is, the monitor im using for pro tools is fairly large (21" widescreen) and it has component inputs.. so when the tv is being used, i used that monitor for the xbox. problem is, there is no sound... but there is a digital optical cable connected to the component cable.

ive already run it from the output on the xbox to the input on the 002r and tried a bunch of things, but i still dont seem to get any sound. ive tried setting up a session in pro tools, and making a i/o path for digital optical, among other things, to no avail. if anyone has any idea how i could make this work, please drop me an idea or two. thanx in advance.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:37 AM

Default Re: digital optical input

Punch Drunk,
Let's see if I understand you correctly..
You are trying to run an optical Digital cable from your source to the 002R's optical in and want to monitor audio throughput. Right ??
OK, most home entertainment systems output multichannel AC3 see here > or other similar standard (DTS) encoded signal. The Digidesign 002R is only capable to handle either A) ADAT 8 ch. optical up to 48Khz or B) SPDIF 2 ch. up to 96 Khz.
Also, you must have an open session to monitor Digital IO, with corresponding sample rate / clock settings.
Check if your "XBOX" has a SPDIF 2 channel PCM output option.

hope this helps,
good luck,
andrew

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 12-01-2006, 12:12 PM

Default Re: digital optical input

i think the only options in the xbox sound are ac3 and dts

i figured id have to have an open session with the right sample rate and bit depth, but i didnt know it needed to be pcm output

ah well, it was a good idea.

thank you much for your help