Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2013, 06:54 PM

Default Why is my system noisey?

I got a complete G5 system awhile back (Dual G5, PTHD8.0.1, OSX 10.5.8,with a 96i)...The best way to describe the noise eminating from the speakers is it's not grounded right...But everything else in my studio is quiet, I have a separate MacBook Pro running Protools 9 with an Mbox pro 3rd gen and it's extremely quiet so I don't think it's my ground...I noticed it's quiet when I launch Protools but as soon as I open a project the noise starts generating...One thing I thought was odd is I can click on a parameter in a plugin and the noise goes away...It doesn't matter what channel or what plugin...As soon as I let off the mouse, the noise comes back...I've even played a keyboard while doing this and the volume of the keyboard doesn't change but the noise drastically comes in and out when I'm clicking the mouse while playing...I think something might be defective but I don't know if it's just dirty connections on the 96i or the digicable or the core card or the mac itself....Anyone have any ideas?...Thanks....moon
Old 10-26-2013, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Why is my system noisey?

Are you using anything that is wireless/bluetooth per chance? Not that it's the problem but who knows.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-26-2013, 09:40 PM

I don't think the G5 has those options and it's noisy even when the MacBook Pro is not powered up which does have those features...I noticed tonight that 1 and 2 inputs (96i) are quite a bit noisier than the other 14 inputs but they are noisy too....Just not as much...Not sure that has anything to do with it....I really wish I lived closer to someone with a system so I could switch out the audio box and cable to see if it solved anything...That would at least eliminate those 2.....Anyway, thanks for the suggestion....moon
Old 10-27-2013, 07:09 AM

You mentioned your mouse? Have you tried unplugging everything to see if it still exist(use headphones to listen to computer itself using I guess mini jack).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 10-27-2013, 09:27 AM

I don't think it's the mouse because the system is pretty quiet until after I launch a project in Protools....Almost like when the mix bus is open is when it happens and the only way to quiet it is to hold down on the mouse on a plugin parameter....So if I don't launch Protools, the system stays quiet but defeats the purpose of what I have it for...LOL.....Thanks for the suggestion.....moon
Old 11-01-2013, 07:43 AM

Do you have any loose cables connected to your mbox 3 pro ?

I'v sometimes had a grounding noise and found that I forgot to unplugg my guitar cable and the input was set to instrument.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:28 PM

I've still got the noise with just the basic HD system running (G5, 96i, midi io, core card)....I'm going to upgrade a few things so hopefully that will weed a few possibilities out...I'm hoping it's not the core card because that's one of the few things I'm NOT going to change out....Thanks for the suggestion....moon
Old 11-16-2013, 07:12 PM

Well I finally got my new/used mac pro PCIe system together and hooked it up via the digilink to the 96i and it's super quiet!!....That tells me the noise is probably generating in the core card on the old system....I'm going to piece that system out soon anyway....Just wanted to give an update.....moon