How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2013, 03:49 PM

Default Muffled Audio

Hey whats going on people?
New to this forum, and pro tools audio engineering in general so BE FOREWARNED, do not continue reading this post unless you have zen like patience

With that being said, I recently bought a maschine mk2, hooked it up to my stanton t.92, chopped up a sample, and was pleased with the result.
not too familiar with mixing and mastering, and although I understand that is of the utmost importance, even though it is not at studio quality I think I did a fairly good job getting my beat to decent levels.... to a point where it could be listened to without people running the opposite way cringing.

Now when I import the .wav files from maschine into protools 8 le, I messed around with the EQ and compression a bit. Like I said when I played it back, it sounds decently good (IN PROTOOLS), HOWEVER, when I bounce it to disk and play it back, say in itunes (without converting to mp3), it sounds FAR WORSE and completely muffled and all muddied and messed up.

ABRIDGED VERSION, in PROTOOLS it sounds fine in playback, its only when I bounce it (bit rate 24, sample rate 44.1 hz) to DISK and play it back it sounds MUCH WORSE.

Any idea why this could be happening?
appreciate the read and thanks in advance for your time/expertise/and much needed HELP! lol

Old 11-08-2013, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Muffled Audio

what is iTunes playing out of? your Pro Tools interface or the computer speakers?
Is the original track mono or stereo? is the bounce mono or stereo?

also please review the Help Us Help You guide lines, not that your problem directly relates to it but you did leave out a lot of details that are good state when asking for help

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig

Last edited by Craig F; 11-21-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: sp
Old 11-11-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
what is iTunes plating out of? your Pro Tools interface or the computer speakers?
Is the original track mono or stereo? is the bounce mono or stereo?

also please review the Help Us Help You guide lines, not that your problem directly relates to it but you did leave out a lot of details that are good state when asking for help
Hey Craig thanks for the reply.
I will definitely read those guidelines, trying my best not to be a nuisance on this site and learn as much as possible!

The track was imported as mono and I bounced it as mono as well. My computer is hooked up to my mbox mini so both the pro tools and itunes playback is through my M audio bx8 monitors.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:29 PM

Is the iTunes EQ disabled?
And in the iTunes preferences, the choices having to do with "quality" and auto volume, under "playback", should be unchecked.
Anyway there will be a difference in playback level that you must adjust manually.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Is the iTunes EQ disabled?
And in the iTunes preferences, the choices having to do with "quality" and auto volume, under "playback", should be unchecked.
Anyway there will be a difference in playback level that you must adjust manually.
I checked that, and that definitely helped a bit. However even if I play back the .wav file right from where it's saved in my hard drive, it still sounds muffled.

I'm assuming that it has something to do with the settings that I am using to bounce the track.

Not sure though, thanks for your help
Old 11-22-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyr View Post
Maybe uninstalling and reinstalling it might help?
Uninstalling and reinstalling what?

QAPLA!