Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2011, 04:50 PM

Default Copying MIDI from individual tracks to a single track?

Newbie here. I am trying to replace old recorded drum sounds with sounds from EZ Drummer/Drumkit from hell. I have the free Massey DRT plugin that I was able to convert the audio for an individual drum track to MIDI. So far I have converted the kick and snare tracks to individual MIDI tracks. Now what I am trying to do is copy the individual rows of MIDI data off the individual kick and snare MIDI tracks to a new stereo EZ Drummer track. I was easily able to copy the whole kick MIDI track to the stereo EZ Drummer instrument track and drag the data row to the appropriate kick drum sound in DKFH and it played fine. Now I want to copy the row of snare MIDI data off it's track and add it to the stereo EZ Drummer track and do the same for the toms so I can basically comp a single stereo EZ drummer track. Can this be done or is there a better/easier way to do this?
Old 11-20-2011, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Copying MIDI from individual tracks to a single track?

MIDI Merge.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
MIDI Merge.
Thanks. Tried the merge and it worked but the MIDI hits are out of sync with the audio and I gave up trying to sync them up. Huge PITA! I couldn't figure out how to get them aligned. Is there a better way to replace the sounds than what I am doing though? Ultimately I want to print new audio tracks with the replaced sounds. It probably makes more sense to keep the tracks separate but I don't know any another way to trigger sounds from DKFH though other than using the EZ Drummer plugin on a stereo instrument track? I can't find a sound library anywhere on my drive for the DKFH sounds to use with the Structure plugin that Massey shows in the DRT tutorial video for replacing sounds. The drum sounds available in Structure sound like butt.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:07 PM

Does creating the drum pattern on an Instrument track and playback them back via EZ Drummer and bus recording the pattern to audio not work?
Old 11-21-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Does creating the drum pattern on an Instrument track and playback them back via EZ Drummer and bus recording the pattern to audio not work?
The only way I got the results I was looking for was using the free trial Drumagog Platinum plugin. I was able to replace one kick drum track with it and thought I was set but when I tried the next track I got an error message that I was out of CPU power and to remove plugins or delete tracks. I then tried importing the single drum track into a new blank session with no other tracks. Just the single audio track with Drumagog inserted and then EZ Drummer inserted in Drumagog. When I went to bounce the new processed track to a new track after about a minute I got the out CPU error message again. You must have to have the fastest computer in the world to run Drumagog and EZ Drummer simultaneously. The other MIDI route I spoke of in the start of the thread just isn't happening. It's too confusing for me and doesn't seem as easy and accurate as Drumagog was when I got lucky and it worked the one time. Oh well, I guess I'll be canning this project. Thanks for the help.