Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2001, 07:15 AM

Default When exactly will PT LE 5.1 be available

Anyone know exactly when PT LE 5.1 will be available. It says end of Jan but is that realistic?
Old 01-22-2001, 09:06 AM

Default Re: When exactly will PT LE 5.1 be available

If it actually starts shipping at the end of January I would imagine you will see it in stores before Feb. 14. Once a product is done DIGI is really good about shipping. They just take a little longer than expected to get done sometimes.

Jason
Old 01-22-2001, 08:08 PM

digi2000:

If you got your DIGI001 in June, it will NOT be covered for a free update. You will have to pay for the update ($50 please).

Only people who bought a 001 on or after September 1st get 5.1 free.
Old 01-22-2001, 10:28 PM

Well i got word from an digi engineer the other day and he said

"Regarding PTLE 5.1, we're literally in "as soon as possible" mode. I would guess it'll be released in a few weeks, but it's a very large release for us and we must allow for the possibility that things will go wrong at the last minute."

So again like somebody else stated prior (i beleive it was you quickdraw???), that 2 weeks was 6 months this time last year for pt le for pc.

Also 5.1 i do beleive digi is looking at as a complet version upgrade. i mean read the quote above. From what i understand they have totally given the software engine a total overhaul, and it does incorperate some great new features. Am i slightly upset about paying to upgrade ($50), yes especially since i bought my 001 as soon as it came out for PC at the $1000 price range. But i mean 50 bucks is no too bad, considering that it is supposed to work much more effeciently (especially on my new amd rig that they have spent some time exclusively on it sounds like), then 5.01.

Christian

Old 01-23-2001, 05:51 AM

I called Digi yesterday and they said that everyone who is entitled to a free upgrade to 5.1 is going to be sent a CD automatically, without having to call and request it(we are all on a list).
They have apparently contracted a 3rd party company who will be handling the shipping for them.
The CD's will not be shipped until March 1 but they say that the upgrade will be available for download well before that.
I was also told that the first shipment of CD's is going to be to everyone who purchased their Digi001 on or after September1,2000.
Has anyone else heard something other than what I was told?

Regards,
Marc
Old 01-23-2001, 05:55 AM

Thanks for the update. I supose $50.00 is not bad after all, but lets hope it fixes all those nagging little quirks ("error -9094" !!!) and the midi interface which really needs some work. All in all, Protools is a great product, and hopefully 5.1 will turn it into an excellent product.
Old 01-23-2001, 10:30 AM

"Digi should do it like everyone else: Pay for it only if it is a complete version upgrade i.e. 5.x to 6.x and any small revision in between is a free update."

You obviously haven't seen the details of the upgrade - this is a complete version upgrade, definitely not a small revision, there are a ton of improvements and new features, possibly more than the jump from 4.3 to 5.0. Would you be happier if digi just called it 6.0?

Mike
Old 01-23-2001, 07:08 PM

5.1 is called 5.1 to promote the new surround sound for TDM users, even though it does 7.1 surround too. Originally it was to be 6.0, but once marketing got ahold of it, the name was changed to 5.1
Old 01-23-2001, 10:30 PM

So marketing where the people that killed the demand for 5.1 lol!!!! everybody would have no problem upgrading if it where version 6.

Christian
Old 01-24-2001, 12:34 AM

I think it is 6.0 for all intents and purposes. It looked to me at a tradeshow like it had been taken apart completely, rewritten at a lot of the core levels. A very different product, even though it still has the same look. To tell you the truth, I think the only reason it's called 5.1 is to take advantage of the fact that it now supports multichannel mixing features for various film formats... i.e., Dolby Digital is a 5.1 format.