Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2009, 03:33 PM

Default Your Windows system specs, PT and the 3Gb memory limit

Hi,

I've done a search for this, but nothing came up that could adequately answer my query.

I notice that some people here have systems specced with, say, 8Gb RAM. I'm just wondering why this is? My technical knowledge is fairly limited and so far as I know, Windows users of PT are limited to 3Gb because of the lack of x64 support. So I'm just wondering why some people put more RAM in their system than can appear to be used. My only conclusion is that they are running a dual-boot system, to allow them to run an x64 OS for non-PT work.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Your Windows system specs, PT and the 3Gb memory limit

Maybe they are in fact running 64bit vista. Digidesign claims there is no known issues with it, but the lack if testing at digidesign makes them not support it. That's my 10 cents. I'm gonna try to install vista 64 tomorrow and see if it's working in fact
Old 12-14-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonasfp View Post
Maybe they are in fact running 64bit vista. Digidesign claims there is no known issues with it, but the lack if testing at digidesign makes them not support it. That's my 10 cents. I'm gonna try to install vista 64 tomorrow and see if it's working in fact
NO 64 bit OS is approved for PT. Even if you get PT running in 64 bit you cant use more than 4GB of ram since it is a 32 bit App.

LE firewire interfaces will not work with 64 bit (well they will but its not worth the trouble), but you can get most USB interfaces working. I would stick with 32 bit.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 12-14-2009, 03:48 PM

I honestly doubt if it's a "lack of testing," but more accurately, enough testing for Digi to warn AGAINST running a 32-bit app in a 64-bit environment because it just isn't stable enough. I can't recall EVER seeing Digi say there are "no known issues" with 64-bit Vista, just to avoid 64 bit OS's altogether for now.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:48 PM

I installed 8 GB for two reasons.

1) I was under the impression that the limit was a per-app limit, and that I could use the extra RAM for sample-based VI plug-ins. Maybe that's not the case. Haven't tested it yet.

2) I'll definitely want 8 GB once PT is a 64-bit app, which should be long before I trade up again. It was a lot cheaper to buy 8 than to buy 4 now and 4 later, even if the price drops by 50% by then.

Doesn't hurt to have it in there, AFAIK.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 12-14-2009, 07:01 PM

"Doesn't hurt to have it in there, AFAIK."

I agree and run 6 gig in my i7 system. It will be nice when 64 bit support comes out

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-14-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
I honestly doubt if it's a "lack of testing," but more accurately, enough testing for Digi to warn AGAINST running a 32-bit app in a 64-bit environment because it just isn't stable enough. I can't recall EVER seeing Digi say there are "no known issues" with 64-bit Vista, just to avoid 64 bit OS's altogether for now.
Right.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 12-15-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
"Doesn't hurt to have it in there, AFAIK."

I agree and run 6 gig in my i7 system. It will be nice when 64 bit support comes out
Yep.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 12-15-2009, 01:31 AM

So is it accurate that all PC-based PTLE users are essentially stuck with a maximum of ~3.5GB of RAM until Digi releases 64-bit drivers and supports 64-bit OS?

I'm running PTLE 7.4 on WinXP Quad Core with 4GB RAM, and I've been encountering problems using large sample-based VIs seemingly due to lack of RAM (CPU and hard disk are nowhere near hitting their limits).
From what I understand, adding more RAM has no added value because the machine and software can't recognize it anyway. Upgrading to Win7 64-bit won't help either because PTLE doesn't have 64-bit drivers and is still a 32-bit application, with no change in the foreseeable future.
So the only options for operating RAM-intensive VIs effectively is to switch to a different DAW? This could very well be enough to drive me to use a different DAW, though I really would rather not.

Or maybe the Vienna Ensemble Pro solution? I don't really understand how it allows access to additional RAM, but some users are claiming it works well (is it working as a standalone outside of PT?)
Old 12-15-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talito View Post
So is it accurate that all PC-based PTLE users are essentially stuck with a maximum of ~3.5GB of RAM until Digi releases 64-bit drivers and supports 64-bit OS?

I'm running PTLE 7.4 on WinXP Quad Core with 4GB RAM, and I've been encountering problems using large sample-based VIs seemingly due to lack of RAM (CPU and hard disk are nowhere near hitting their limits).
From what I understand, adding more RAM has no added value because the machine and software can't recognize it anyway. Upgrading to Win7 64-bit won't help either because PTLE doesn't have 64-bit drivers and is still a 32-bit application, with no change in the foreseeable future.
So the only options for operating RAM-intensive VIs effectively is to switch to a different DAW? This could very well be enough to drive me to use a different DAW, though I really would rather not.

Or maybe the Vienna Ensemble Pro solution? I don't really understand how it allows access to additional RAM, but some users are claiming it works well (is it working as a standalone outside of PT?)
Well actually PT can only use 1.7 to 2.2 gbs without the 3GB/Switch which will allow you to access more virtual memory space and yadda yadda PT can use around 2.7 to 3ish GBs. ON Windows 64 bit PT can access 4 GBs

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio