Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2021, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Apple Macbook Pro - M1 Pro & M1 Max

I will reiterate what's been stated Avid stock plugs work great and I boot into PT with no issue. Waves, Sound Toys, Eventide, Plugin Alliance, and countless others I've been able to get working with little to no issue. So far the only hang up (and it's a big one as I rely on Pro Limiter, Subharmonic, and X-Form/Elastic Audio quite a bit) is the Avid subscription/paid plug-ins. Below is a screen shot of all plug-ins that failed to load.

Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 4.17.14 PM.jpg

Last edited by npapaleo; 11-01-2021 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-31-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Clean install to an Apple Silicon machine btw is a pretty troublesome task. Clean install starts with erasing system storage, which in current days security is not easy. Sinply installing from macOS installer is not so called Clean Install unless you wipes the storage. Did you? I am interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This clean install fetish of yours is still nonsense, and it’s particular nonsense with a brand new machine direct from Apple. It’s wasting a lot of people’s time and not helping. Give it a break.

Dominic
Old 10-31-2021, 04:31 PM

Sure, but I am a nazi who occasionally does FOH using PT and cannot afford to a single hiccup, ever. Take it as it is.

Old 10-31-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Clean install to an Apple Silicon machine btw is a pretty troublesome task. Clean install starts with erasing system storage, which in current days security is not easy. Sinply installing from macOS installer is not so called Clean Install unless you wipes the storage. Did you? I am interested.

I wasn't sure if you were asking ekmaster23 or myself. In my case it was a brand new computer, no migration from a previous Pro Tools machine. Pro Tools and all plugins were installed from the original installers onto the new computer as it was received from Apple.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:30 AM

Quote:

If you’re talking to me then yes I did a complete erase and reinstall from the ground up the proper way. And ran all installers with SIP disabled as well.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekmaster23 View Post
If you’re talking to me then yes I did a complete erase and reinstall from the ground up the proper way. And ran all installers with SIP disabled as well.
Good, so you have a solid starting point with smallest amount of random variables.

I do the same, and have found most of the time I have problems moving plugins to unused folder fixes it (unless it is a real confirmed bug in PT software). So bad plugins are not behaving so nicely in nativeland, compared to DSP. Always need to update something.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npapaleo View Post
I will reiterate what's been stated Avid stock plugs work great and I boot into PT with no issue. Waves, Sound Toys, Eventide, Plugin Alliance, and countless others I've been able to get working with little to no issue. So far the only hang up (and it's a big one as I rely on Pro Limiter, Subharmonic, and X-Form/Elastic Audio quite a bit) is the Avid subscription/paid plug-ins. Below is a screen shot of all plug-ins that failed to load.

Attachment 15054
Weird. Many (including myself) report issues *specifically* with AVID stock plugins. If I load the complete plugin bundle PT won't launch at all.

Life is like an Analogy.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnSTL View Post
Weird. Many (including myself) report issues *specifically* with AVID stock plugins. If I load the complete plugin bundle PT won't launch at all.
Not weird at all. Just confusion about what you're calling stock Avid plugins. There are "Core" Avid plugins that get installed with Pro Tools. Then there are paid Avid plugins (via a subscription to PT, a current support plan on a perpetual license or outright purchase.). The Compete plugin bundle is in that paid second and problematic class. Basically ANYTHING Avid that is not a Core Plugin will cause PT to hang on launch. It will hang on the System plugins when any paid Avid plugin is there. Third party plugins seem to be fine - at least the ones I've tested (Waves, UAD, Softtube, PluginAliance...).
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:19 PM

Gotcha. Thanks.

Life is like an Analogy.
Old 11-10-2021, 06:14 AM

Aside from teething troubles with some Avid plugins, how is Pro Tools working?

I am keen to get a new 16 MBP, but if I can't run mixing sessions close to what I can on my i9 9900ks Mac, I'd rather wait.

I have a 13 M1 MBP, and whilst Pro Tools works for lighter tasks. I can't run medium size sessions. So I am more than a little hesitant....