Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2014, 06:55 AM

Default Re: 11.3?

Oh, I see what you're talking about. I had opened a couple of existing sessions, and everything was in place and working properly.

But I see now that when I go to do an insert, the menu is blank until I mouse over it. I can see where that would be a bit of a hassle…

Fortunately, I mainly work with PT 11 these days, and I guess that if I do work in 10 for whatever reason, I pretty much stick with a standard selection of plugins, and I know where they are, so I can live with it.
Finale 26.3.1
Old 12-31-2014, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtomassetti View Post
Oh, I see what you're talking about.
But I see now that when I go to do an insert, the menu is blank until I mouse over it. I can see where that would be a bit of a hassle…
Thanx for taking the time to reply. Yes, that's the one. Apart from that 10.3.9 seems stable on Yosemite, and it's actually not that hard to work with that bug if you have to go back to 10.3.9 under Yosemite. Not ideal but ok if one has to.
Best wishes for The new year...
Old 12-31-2014, 05:25 AM

I'm pretty wary of Yosemite myself. It doesn't handle full screen yet very well (which is the new "fit to screen" option, although alt/option is a halfway there compromise), and I've had all sorts of audio issues on my laptop.

But I haven't yet run Pro Tools on it yet (haven't had time/energy yet). nonetheless, it has major issues with audio. I'd only suggest "upgrading" if you either have no choice, or have a dedicated set-up.

The issue arises with its handling of switching between audio sources. If I plug in an HDMI source, suddenly I lose all control over the native volume control, in the sense that I cannot literally turn up the volume beyond the now frozen threshold it was previously set at, nor is my HDMI source volume enabled. Likewise I had problems with my aggregate source, in that the PT aggregate doesn't seem to be recognized properly when I hook up my mbox.

eg/ if I have my speaker volume at 50% on my laptop, and I switch audio drivers, Yosemite no longer allows me to change the volume of the native audio handling, which means 100% volume on my mbox is now limited to 50% of full volume. It's f*cked. Volume controls only show up with a no smoking sign, meaning it has disabled that step of the gain stage, and yet hasn't reset it to 100%. The only workaround is to go and play with the system prefs sound handling AND the audio/midi set up until it relinquishes the controls back to me, or restart my system with the set up as I want it to ultimately be, and even then that's not 100% foolproof.

Apple really messed up the audio on Yosemite. I'll update this thread when I get a chance to record on my laptop (which may take a bit, work has me pinned in tight for a bit), but I will not update my tower AT ALL until I see this worked out with a Yosemite update.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:16 PM

No, the bounce to disk issue was not resolved even though they claim it has been resolved. I upgraded to 11.3 and found the issue was still there plus I could not get the system to record. in my experience 11.3 is pretty messed up. I went back to 11.2.1 and had to reinstall all of my 3rd party plugins. All in all I wasted about 2 hrs dealing with the 11.3 screwup.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:32 AM

My advise would be to stay away from Josemite for now.
If you can.
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.

Last edited by Ghost In The Attic; 01-03-2015 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter View Post
My advise would be to stay away from Josemite for now.
Which is fine advice unless you find yourself having to buy a new Mac ... in which case you have no choice.

To be honest, I've not seen anything in Mavericks or Yosemite that makes me in any hurry to upgrade .... stickng with Mountain Lion 10.8.5 until something 'forces' me to upgrade. I was worried about Cubase Pro 8, as only 10.9 and 10.10 are officially supported, but it's running smoothly so far in 10.8.5, so all's good.

Now all we need is for Slate to finally release VCC 2.0 with AAX support and reveal that it's not good in 10.8 ;-(

But, then again, it's been in development for so long it'll probably work in Tiger ... lol
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 01-02-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
To be honest, I've not seen anything in Mavericks or Yosemite that makes me in any hurry to upgrade .... stickng with Mountain Lion 10.8.5 until something 'forces' me to upgrade.
That's true, for ProTools there's very little gain with either Mavericks or Yosemite. ML isn't broke so if that's what you're rollin' keep smokin' it.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
That's true, for ProTools there's very little gain with either Mavericks or Yosemite. ML isn't broke so if that's what you're rollin' keep smokin' it.
I've been trying a dual-boot system with ML and Mavericks on the possibility of going to the new Apogee Ensemble which requires a minimum of OSX 10.9.2. So far I'd rather stay with ML as trying to chase issues with Mavericks and some of my softsynths is eating too much time.

QAPLA!
Old 01-03-2015, 09:27 AM

Which synths in particular?
Old 01-03-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Which synths in particular?
Various Arturia ones will indiscriminently crash on me in both standalone and inside PT11.3.0; Analog Lab is the biggest crasher.

QAPLA!