Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2014, 05:31 AM

Default PT 11.2 Real Time Bounce to Disk Issue

Hi all. I know this is a known issue but just wondering if anyone knows the fix for it yet, or if Avid is working on correcting it. This is the issue when bouncing to disk (real time) a message comes up stating that "you are running out of CPU power, try eliminating some native plugins". We all know this is ridiculous, especially when we are running machines like a 3.4Ghz iMac Quad Core with 32 GB RAM. This is absurd, and the message itself is almost insulting. A machine like that can run the real time "bounce to disk" function with both hands and both feet tied behind its back. I use mostly Waves V9 plugins and also a Lexicon LXP Native Suite of plugins. I find it hard to believe that these third party plugins are the issue. This must be a PT 11 issue, especially when I am reading that PT 11.1.3 did not have this problem. So what the heck happened when they went to 11.2??

Torchight
Old 08-28-2014, 08:29 AM

Default Re: PT 11.2 Real Time Bounce to Disk Issue

I don't experience this issue. What I've read about though points to a few things including waves. maybe not but worth a try to remove and see if maybe thats it.

I also have seen folks using HD Native hardware with the issue... So it very well could be the audio driver. Does it happen using mac built in audio and no waves?

But pro tools itself isn't the issue. Its interaction with another aspect is, as we know. I think the main part is HD native but maybe waves also.

But as far as I know whatever the issue there is not a fix yet.

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have not pulled Waves plugins out of the equation being that most of the plugins I use are in fact Waves plugins. I will contact Waves tech support to see if they are aware of anything, however I have read that other PT11 users are having the same problem even when no plugins are being used. So, I would think that does point to this being a PT11 issue, especially since the problem started with 11.2. 11.1.3 was fine.

In the mean time, I will just do "in-session" bounces for mixdown, and export the bounced 24 bit multi-mono mix files to 16-bit interleaved files for burning to CDs.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:11 PM

I'm getting the problem on two different HD Native setups, one has Apogee Symphony and the other an Apollo Twin. . It's a right pain. These are mixes I've had for some time and they worked perfectly fine on 11.1.3. I've even had it happen on a 4 audio track session with no plugins. It's simply impossible to bounce in real time with 11.2.1 for me. If it was caused by a relationship between PT and a plugin then PT must have changed somewhere because it didn't happen before.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:09 PM

I just spoke to waves tech support to see what they would say. I told him that I opened a ProTools 10 session in ProTools 11 and that is when bounce to disk didn't work. He told me to try creating a ProTools 11 session and then importing the ProTools 10 session data, and then try real-time bounce to disk. I did this and bounce to disc in real time worked perfectly. This has got to be a ProTools 11.2 issue and it will get resolved eventually...... I hope.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:19 AM

Same issue here. Real time Bounce To Disk crashing since 11.2 with sessions with only a few tracks and few plug-ins... Worked fine up to 11.1.3. Hope this gets fixed soon!
Old 08-29-2014, 06:36 AM

Dominique, did the bounce to disk issue happen in a PT 11 session that was initiated as PT 11 or was this a session from an earlier version of PT that you subsequently opened in PT 11. The reason I ask is because, for me, so far this issue has only come up in PT 11 sessions that were originally created in PT 10 or earlier. BUT.........I did find that when I created a brand new PT 11 session, and then imported session data from the PT 10 session, real time bounce to disk worked fine. Go figure. This must have something to do with an incompatibility that occurs between PT 11.2 and PT 10 or earlier. Of course I am probably over simplifying, but this is how it appears to me.

Avid needs to fix this soon. I would hope that PT 11.2.2 will fix it?? Can anyone from Avid tell us this will happen?

Torchlight
Old 08-29-2014, 07:36 AM

I just had it happen with Zero effects in the session. It was nothing more than one track with one audio file edited to remove sections, literarily nothing else.

I tried bouncing again and it worked.
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:59 AM

Okay then this is most definitely a PT 11.2 glitch. Ghostwriter was this a brand new PT 11.2 session?
Old 08-29-2014, 08:23 AM

Just so I'm completely informed, its a PT 11 glitch WITH HD native... Correct?

Or are others Not having it happen with HD native and if so then they must have something different than me... Probably plug ins or OS, because I have bounced to disk real time or offline on both new PT 11 and PT 10 opened in 11 sessions without issue in PT 11.1, 11.2, 11.2.1... Of course there were other issues alone the way.

I'm hoping the plug in that interacts with Pro Tools or the specifics what what PT configuration creates this situation is know so I can avoid it or think about it should I encounter this problem.

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.