Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2022, 09:03 AM

Default HDX disappears from AudioMIDI when I launch ProTools Ultimate(2019.6)

Hello

So before I start this, just some background. I work in IT and I mistakenly updated ProTools to the latest version. I can't recall what version it was on previously, but this messed up the current projects that were being worked on. I currently rolled back to ProTools Ultimate version 2019.6 which I believe was the previous version or at least close to it. I would also like to add that unfortunately, I do not know all that much about Audio and this is the first time I am working on ProTools. I realize I had made a pretty bad mistake and I have been working on this for a few days trying to get HDX to work once more on here.

My issue is I need to get the audio setup back working and when I open a project and try to get Audio to come in, it does not seem to pick anything up even though the correct audio playbacks are selected. Something strange I noticed is when I open AudioMIDI first (without ProTools open) I can see HDX on the list. When I open ProTools however, HDX disappears from the list on AudioMIDI. I am still able to see HDX on ProTools and I am able to select it. Does anyone know why this is occurring? I have tried a fresh reinstall of the HDX driver and googled what I could to try and resolve this issue but nothing seems to work. I am not sure if there is a way to check what previous version was installed on here but I also believe I may be on the wrong version and thats why this is not working.

Any input would be helpful in helping me troubleshoot and realizing what the problem is here.

Thank you in advance to anyone who decides to help!
Old 12-30-2022, 11:20 AM

Default Re: HDX disappears from AudioMIDI when I launch ProTools Ultimate(2019.6)

Who cares about the CoreAudio HDX device going away? Pro Tools does not use CoreAudio to talk to the HDX system, if Pro Tools was having a problem communicating with HDX it should be barfing errors. So what actual problem are you having? What *exactly* is happening/not happening/what *exactly* do you see on the display for say track input and output selector options, do track input meters move? Waveforms appear but you just don’t hear anything? etc. Post screenshots if that will help (DUC scales down images to the point of being frequently useless, it’s best to post on a photo/file sharing site at high resolution and share the link here). Right now nobody here has any clue what your problem even is.

You screwed the pooch, but you have a current systems backup right? So one option is to just roll back to that. If you are totally lost and have that option take it.

—-

Start by reading “help us help you” up the top of every DUC web page. Especially what info you should provide.

And your computer is? And it’s running exactly what macOS version? Is the HDX card in an external chassis? What one?

What exact driver version have you installed?

And what interfaces are connected to the HDX card? They powered on and appear to be lit up OK?

Try to be precise with terminology. Hopefully you mean Pro Tools *sessions* not (buggy unreliable cloud) *projects*. And what do you mean by “correct playbacks are selected”? There is only one Playback Engine setting where you should select the HDX engine. And what exactly do you see for the Playback Engine in Setup>Playback Engine? That likely is selected OK but want you to confirm.

And before doing much more you can try trashing prefs (use Pete Gates’ free PT Prefs tool). But again nobody here even has a clue what the problem you are having is.
Old 12-30-2022, 01:16 PM

Default Re: HDX disappears from AudioMIDI when I launch ProTools Ultimate(2019.6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmistakes View Post
Something strange I noticed is when I open AudioMIDI first (without ProTools open) I can see HDX on the list. When I open ProTools however, HDX disappears from the list on AudioMIDI. I am still able to see HDX on ProTools and I am able to select it. Does anyone know why this is occurring?

This has always been expected behaviour with HD Native and HDX. Due to the deeper level of integration, Pro Tools will take exclusive control of those interfaces. They work directly with the Avid Audio Engine, where as the devices listed in the AudioMidi menu are only using Apple's coreaudio.

Have you configured your routing in the Pro Tools I/O menu? With all the reinstallation of software, the default routing in Pro Tools may have changed to something different. It is accessible from the top menu under Setup -> I/O.

p.s. Excuse Darryl's bluntness. It is purely the result of a very high functioning computer guru experiencing an over-indulgence in ham and turkey meat at this time of year. We've all been there in some way...
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 12-30-2022, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
p.s. Excuse Darryl's bluntness. It is purely the result of a very high functioning computer guru experiencing an over-indulgence in ham and turkey meat at this time of year. We've all been there in some way...
Ah just Ham mate, in the USA I get all Turkeyed out at Thanksgiving. And sorry "bigmistakes" I misread your post and mistook you for an experienced user on DUC who should have known what info to provide etc. Anyhow as LDS says it may just be an IO setup problem, that defaulting the IO can fix. If not focus on telling us what is going on so folks here can help you. Try to answer as many questions as possible, or say if you don't understand what is being asked.

And as you look at stuff each time you start Pro Tools check that the HDX is the playback engine, sometimes Pro Tools can change that on you without you realizing. One way to do that is hold down the "N" key on the keyboard while Pro Tool is starting and keep it held down until the Playback Engine dialog appears and then select the HDX.... then you know for sure it's selected.
Old 12-31-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Ah just Ham mate, in the USA I get all Turkeyed out at Thanksgiving.
Well that just makes the infiltration of turkey into Australian xmas even more confusing! I suppose the more the merrier... just as long as the seafood doesn't get pushed out.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.