Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2008, 04:16 AM

Default Attempting to Preview a Plug-In Crashes Protools :/

Hi

I have a brand new G5 (well new in April) - 2x2.66 Ghz Dual Core, 3GB 667MHz, Tiger, PTLE 7.3.1 CS7 002 rack mac system and when I want to preview a clip when using a plug in/any plug in, I get the beachball of death and have to force quit.
I don't have any other plug-ins than the factory bundle so it's not as though I could be using anything which is incompatible.

The plug-ins work, as I can blindly use them on a clip, but it's imperative that I should be able to preview what I'm doing!

I've tried changing buffer settings but nothing seems to work.

Help! I hadn't often been using my plug ins but I'm using them more frequently and it's beyond annoying now.

Yours, exasperated.

soundbird x
Old 07-09-2008, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Attempting to Preview a Plug-In Crashes Protools :/

anyone?

I hoped someone from Digidesign would rock up with some advice.....
Old 07-09-2008, 09:26 AM

Try:
-launching same session from a new Admin account on Mac.
-Trash Digidesign Databases, prefs and DAE Prefs/
-Try an Save Session Copy with all audio to a different hard drive. Test preview on the new copy of the session.
-Pull Ram, preview buffers into ram, if a ram chip is bad then it could crash Pro Tools.
-Check available drive space.

Much of the above is detailed in the general troubleshooting sticky if you need exact steps on how to do that.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:31 PM

Are you trying to use AudioSuite plug-ins?

If so, and the tracks you are trying to preview are large, it will take time for the plug-in to respond.

Have you tried just using a short section?

This is of course, all based on the assumption that you are using AudioSuite.

If that is not the case, then I don't understand what it is you are trying to do.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:47 AM

Yes, I'm trying to use Audiosuite and haven't had problems in the past with larger files.

Having smaller files doesn't help and it's not asthough the preview in Audiosuite is taking it's time to respond..... it's beachball of death, Protools (not responding), having to force quit stuff. I've left it spinning and come back just in case it's simply taking it's time, but nada.

I can see the levels on whichever Audiosuite plug in I'm trying to use (mainly EQ and compression) flickering asthough it's working but there's no actual audio output and then it goes into unresponsive mode.

Will try trashing all prefs etc again.