Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2003, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE+

"Sure is, and that's why PTle is a limited to 32 tracks version. If it wasn't, who'd buy the $10k systems?"

I would! After I had worked my way through the first two steps. Also, every truly professional studio in the world (the same ones that buy it now).

I understand your point where02910 but the way I see it is that when DIgi first created the LE platform, they had no idea tha it would become so popular. I believe that they saw it as a way to appease those who couldn't get a full TDM - and probably never would. Now, there are so many people buying 001's on Ebay that there is a new class of home engineers. It is true that many will lose interest once the reality of the industry hits them - that's fine. What Digi doesn't acknowledge is that we LE users who are committed could use another step. Limit it to 96k and 48 tracks. That won't prevent the Hit Factory from buying an HD3 Accel or two.

Chris
LE 6.4
Virus C, Akai S6000
Mackie analog 8 bus
a boatload of cables
and mad patience...

Old 12-21-2003, 09:09 AM

just spend the 500 more and get cubase sl os logic gold for IO and bring it into pro tools ,,.......... but digi should consider.......... if they're using other programs for tracking ,........... what if they get used to it ..................or even like it better?even if it is because our projects exceed our LE capabilities and we can't afford a TDM system
but that doesn't change the fact that we are still potiental customers which means potientail profit with which digi is not explioting.........
it seems to me , because of the competition and the general products for digital recording , that TDM is far over priced and LE is great but far too castrated . I don't believe that treating professionals like children is the way to go about promoting their TDM sales , I think LE should have at least two 002r capabilities , Maybe this would call for BEEFING UP TDM to insure the gap.......maybe by not limiting it's RTAS so much , or having different emulation modes like tape saturation which wouldn't limit plugin inserts , or even the price of the dang beast
but as I've said LE is far too limited to be copete with the options out on the market today....sure people may buiy the hardware , but if they can't afford TDM they're going to buy other software and a second IO box , MONEY YOU COULD HAVE HAD

thnx
Old 12-23-2003, 05:05 AM

I am definitely running out of tracks with LE. I'll go Logic or Cubase as soon as they fix COREs for 002R. Or I'll wait for LE+! Otherwise I love PT!
Old 12-23-2003, 06:00 AM

Quote:
That won't prevent the Hit Factory from buying an HD3 Accel or two.
It's not the big studios their trying to push into HD my friend, it's you.

Why sell you two $1000 pieces when they can possibly sell you a $10, 000 piece. I disagree that digi underesteimated the popularity of Le, I think they new exactly how quickly it would spread in popularity, becasue it has the Protools name. Hell, we bought it for the name, as do many studios. we could use anything for what we use Protools for, and there are many sessions that I don't even use it, yet the first question 90% of the potential cleints ask is "You do have Protools, right?"

As far waa waiting for Protools LE+, you'll have a very very long wait I bet.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:55 AM

There's some great ideas here. Digi need a middle ground product, no doubt. The difference between the TDM systems and Le are huge so is the price.

People who go TDM, do so for a lot of reason not just huge track counts! I'd go TDM for the processing power(especially now with Accel) the diffence is the Host vs.DSP processing. Even if Digi made an LE+ plus option that allowd 32+ tracks that doesn't mean your machine can handle that many. TDM systems can get 100+ tracks and tons of plugins becasue of the DSP. We can't expect that type of performance from a host based system.

I agree though, a mdi-range option would be awesome. The competition is getting pretty fierce, I don't think the wait will be that long.

(I have heard a rumor about the next big Protools update- apparently the next version will have much better midi implemenation, maybe even some kind of notation window or feature? just a rumor though)

My advice would be to get another LE system synced up to your 002 and bam! 64tracks. Just make sure you got some tight sync. Use midi to tigger timecode and spdif cable for tight digital sync.

On a side note I think adding "rewire" to PT6 was the smartest and greatest things Digi has done from both a user and investor standpoint.

Hope that helps.
Certified Protools6.x Post-Production Operator
Old 12-23-2003, 11:50 AM

Quote:

1 is to buy older TDM system like PT24 with worse convertors and some RTAS limits.

2 move to ANY other DAW (Logic, Cubase, DP) and override the track limits.

"Some Rtas Limits"

On OS9 Protools 5.X:

-Can't open rtas plugs on Master fader (What You gonna do With Vintage warmer?)
-Can't open rtas plugs on aux.(What You´re gonna do with altiverb?)
-Can't have Rtas Plugs while recording the track, they will Bypass (What You're gonna do with Amplitube while recording?)
-Can´t open rtas plug after Tdm one.
-Can't open open a plug while the session is playing(On OS 9, 5.X).

I Would say Unlees you go at least for mix plus system, keep on digi with a new Computer. Or If You really need more voices. Go for Logic.

TDm Hd systems are priceless , just don't worth it...

Have a good one.
Scsi(64)-18 giga cheetah
Ide 80 giga (7200)
Old 12-23-2003, 01:47 PM

Still if I'll go that path my main Reverbs (AUX) would be DSP (so I'll have more power) there is a workaround to the Aux problem with bussing.
EQs , Comps all the way RTAS so with a powerful P4 or G5 you have a powerful machine.

It's the fact I'd lose quality when jumping from 002R to 888|24 (or worse 882|20) that'll cause me to degrade my conversion.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:15 PM

IMHO, I love Protools LE 6 exactly how it is!!! Don't get me wrong, I would prefer more tracks, but LE 6 doesn't hold me back in any way. Rewire and the option to turn voices on and off is all one needs. At least now we get go from TDM, to LE, back to TDM without having to "break up" the session into 32 tracks at a time (if there is more than 32 tracks in the first place!). Remember, if you need to here more than 32 tracks at once, run Ableton Live 3 through rewire. Then you can run as many tracks as you want. In addition, now Digi allowed the developement of the VST to Rewire plugin! So the plugin and instrument list is massive now. Of coarse I run on Windows so having hundreds of plugins and vsti's to choose from is new to me
Jayman #9